GO!

Can dogs get hiccups?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nanook

I'm now a- traveling dog!

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 3:10pm PST 
I've never noticed it before ever.. but last night i was laying down Nanook looked like either he had the hiccups or ... idk.. he was twitching. I freaked out because my dog a few months ago died (that i adopted) of distemper (got her from the shelter-didnt know she had it) and he looked kinda like this slight twitching... eventualy he stoped and today has been fine.. any idea?shrug

BTW: yes he is current on all his vaccines.

Edited by author Mon Oct 20, '08 3:11pm PST

[notify]
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 3:13pm PST 
Laila gets the hicups sometimes!
[notify]
MACH ADCH- Lilliana TQX

My idea of a- holiday is- playing agility!

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 3:14pm PST 
I think I've had hiccups a couple of times, but they subsided very quickly. Good question. Do you twitch with Distemper?
[notify]

Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 3:16pm PST 
My guys both got them as puppies, but grew out of them. I miss puppy hiccups. frown
[notify]
Chim Chim

I luff to luff.

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 3:16pm PST 
From what I understand, Distemper causes neurological damage which in turn, causes twitching.

As for the hiccups, thanks for asking this! Chim was sleeping on my living room floor this weekend and was squeaking in his sleep along with a twitch.

I was convinced they were hiccups, but I wasn't sure.
[notify]
Nanook

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 3:17pm PST 
At the beginning she twitched with distemper when it first showed symptons.. then it was seizsures.. but he is fine today.. and i only noticed it for a couple of minutes until i passed out.. i was exhausted.. and he didnt show pain.. just kinda sitting there...

whew... probably was just hiccups then.
[notify]
Nanook

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 3:20pm PST 
Chim,

or (seeing i didnt see it) could have been dreaming. Indy used to do it all the time. squeaking and twitching.. it was her dreaming... it was hilarious would do it all the time. she does it occasionally now.. but after 9 yrs i really dont notice it as much as i used to
[notify]
Lenny Our- little- kitkat Angel-

Rub my Belly and- I am YOURS for- LIFE

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 3:59pm PST 
Hi wave

I use to get hiccups all the time as a pup cause I always drank too fast...but I dont get them as often cause mom puts in ice cubes to slow me downdancing
[notify]
Cotton, TDI,- CGC, TFP-I,- FMX

You can't resist- me.

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 4:37pm PST 
Cotton used to wake up with hiccups every morning. It was only about a year ago that she stopped getting them frequently. She is now 4 and she still occasionally gets hiccups. It used to kind of scare me becasue she would wake with rapid succession hiccups- hic,hic,hic*breathe* hic, hic, hic*breathe... I am thankful she doesn't do that anymore.
I dont' think Abby has ever had hiccups since joining our family. She was about a year when she became permanently mine.
[notify]
Sakura (Chi Chi Baby)

Everyone Loves a- Chi Chi Baby

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 4:45pm PST 
Sakura gets hiccups when she drinks too fast.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2