GO!

Treats being given to your dog at the pet food store...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 3:20am PST 
Sometimes I go to the pet food store that is not all holistic/superior products. I might go to buy a ball, or dried liver treats, etc. I hate it when the cashier/clerk gives a treat to my dog without asking me permission. I always ask "wait a minute, what brand/kind is this please?" I don't want Laila to have ANYTHING anymore from Purina, etc... a lot of places have little things I will go to buy like a comb or a ball, but they have all this crap dog treats at the counter much like you have chocolate bars and chips at the counter of the drugstore or grocery store.

I used to feel bad for refusing, but now I am very direct!
[notify]
Lucy

Angel Puppy

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 7:08am PST 
I always take it away and hand it back. THen I explain that my dogs have lots of food allergies. Not exactly true (Jackie just doesn't like them, and Arrow's are at a point where one cookie wouldn't really bother her anymore), but it'll make the pet store person think next time.
[notify]
♠- Ruger- ♠

Live to- Swim!!

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 9:57am PST 
Outside of a trainer at petsmart, I've never had anyone give my dogs treats without permission. Cheyenne wouldn't take any treats. If I gave them to her, she'd carry them around then just leave them somewhere. Ruger is a chow hound, and will eat anything. As long as the person asks first, I'll have him sit and he gets a treat. If they happened to not ask, I'd take it and give it back. Just like if someone gave my kid a treat in the grocery store.
[notify]

Harvey

Mountain Goat in- Training

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 10:22am PST 
They always ask me if it's okay to give Harvey one. Of course, Harv won't eat it food from a stranger...so I just say " NO, thanks, he won't take it anyway..."
[notify]
Dantes

I have my own- reasons.

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 11:00am PST 
The vet I go to has different types of treats BOL
they are in identical jars with titles : "Purina", "hypoallergenic"
"Benny Bullys" and "Holistic" or something...
So they have like the whole variety from really good stuff(benny bullies) to the cr*p stuff (Purina)! BOL
[notify]
Maggie- Frances (ATB- 4/22/08)

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 4:59pm PST 
I usually make a joke out of it...Like, Don;t tell the hounds, but they are on a D..I...E...T!! Or we are all watching our figure!!!

Maggie Frances had a corn allergy so I got used to refusing treats..especially those I had no clue about.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 5:04pm PST 
My dog has stranger-danger issues so I'm happy when people offer her treats even if they are crap. She's made a lot of new friends over a MilkBone.

Never had anyone not ask. confused
[notify]
Belle

Short legs, long- body, huge- heart.

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 5:48pm PST 
PetSmart explicitly trains their employees to ask before giving a treat, but I've seen people not ask.
I'm ok with Belle having a junk treat at the store even if she won't eat it. It helps her get used to the idea that strangers aren't bad people (except for when they call her a rat, then I as the mama gets pretty darn defensive).
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 6:09pm PST 
I've never had anyone at a store not ask me first. I think the reason they DO ask is because they know that lots of dogs either have allergies or possibly resource guarding issues. If you don't want the treat, just politely decline (no explanation necessary), or say you'll save it for later, stick it in your pocket, and throw it away. If someone's just trying to be nice to me and my pooch, I don't see the need to make them feel bad.

Just like previous posters have said, I let Mingus accept the treat if he will, because he's shy of strangers and I am happy when he'll interact with them without fear. That's much more important to me than the ingredients of the treat. One little junk treat from time to time won't hurt him, just like the little piece of fudge I'm about to sneak from the kitchen won't kill me, either. wink
[notify]
Kuma

Desperately cute- & stinky!

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 9:03pm PST 
I haven't had the experience of someone giving Kuma a treat without asking. I see it as a training opportunity. I make Kuma sit before he takes the treat. Sometimes, Kuma may sniff the treat and then turn his nose. He prefers affection/attention over the biscuits from strangers. shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3