GO!

Save German Shepherds from WAR!

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Simba

Barked: Wed Oct 1, '08 12:09pm PST 
The United Kingdom is all set to airdrop German shepherd dogs to take on the well armed Taliban and the al-Qaeda insurgents in Afghanistan. These German Shepherds would jump from an aircraft at 25,000 feet after being parachuted in hostile terrain and would lead the assault in SAS (Special Air Service) raids to seek out Taliban and al-Qaeda insurgents. With tiny cameras fixed to their heads, these magnificent canines, by putting their own life in danger, would beam live TV pictures back to the troops, warning of ambushes and showing enemy leaders locations. In fact, The SAS source admits that "The dogs will be exposed to very high levels of danger on these operations."

This absurd and cruel tactic of deploying dogs in situations that are too dangerous for soldiers has been devised to cut down the soaring casualty rates in Afghanistan and Iraq. These valiant but powerless and vulnerable dogs would have to helplessly face the armed terrorists who do not mind blowing themselves up. In fact for them, these dogs at best could be target practice.

Instead of putting the lives of these beautiful creatures on the block, the SAS should probably devise alternative ways like sending automated robots to save the precious lives of the soldiers. But this despicable and outrageous plan has been adopted only because the poor German shepherd dogs cannot stand up for themselves.

Please help STOP this cruel tactic of sending German Shepherd dogs to War in Afghanistan. Stand up for the German Shepherds and send a message to Rt Hon Des Browne MP, Secretary of State for Defence, UK, today.

Sign this petition today and help reverse the decision.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-sending-helpless- german-shepherd-dogs-to-take-on-taliban
[notify]
Shadow NPC,- MDM

Ban the Deed - Not the Breed

Barked: Wed Oct 1, '08 12:18pm PST 
Who in the h&ll's bright idea was this?! Consider it signed! How disgusting!
[notify]
~Bear~

rescue a- bully....woof,- woof :-)

Barked: Sat Oct 4, '08 10:08am PST 
WTF.......That's all I can say......signedshock
[notify]

Frankie - ADOPTED!

Save a life - adopt a shelter- dog!!

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 1:23pm PST 
I signed.
[notify]
Hermione- (aka "the- Uberpup")

All play, every- day!

Barked: Tue Oct 7, '08 8:59am PST 
Um, with all due respect, I believe this story is hooey, and for a number of reasons.
[notify]
Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Wed Oct 8, '08 10:37am PST 
Sorry, I'm not signing. It's better than risking human lives and quite frankly we don't even know if it's true or not.
[notify]
Duke -Rest- In Peace-

My mommy and- daddy miss me :(

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 12:59am PST 
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/article 1447714.ece

That's all I can find and from my understanding, the Sun isn't too reliable.

I'm going to sign anyway. They have machines taht can be sent in. There is NO erason to risk any life when we can send in MACHINES to do it for us!
[notify]
Kisses- 8/6/05-11/16- /11

Mom's Heartdog

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 4:03pm PST 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7518560.stm

They will not just be dropped down without handlers and left to roam the land on their own. They will be strapped to the handlers, which isn't really any more dangerous than being airlifted in a sling by helicoptor. These dogs are bred to work, to protect and serve, just as the soldiers are over there doing. Yes, it is dangerous for both, but so is the everyday police work these dogs do. Even SAR dogs have risky jobs,sometimes having to go in an area to find someone when their owner can't.

Robots may sound like an safe alternative choice, but you have to think of things such as terrain. They haven't really made robots that can climb rocks. There may be sand they get bogged in, or debris they cannot manuever around. There are flying air drones that at first sound like a better option., but they can only observe from above and cannot enter structures or caves. Robots have no sense of smell to locate a nearby enemy.

The dogs may not have a choice of going in to the battlefield, but for anyone who has ever seen a handler working with their dog, I think they would agree that if these dogs could speak for themselves, they would let out a resounding "YES". It is a noble deed these dogs are doing, and some person took it upon themselves to make this a negative image and skew the news around. They are not going to starve without handlers, or be left to roam around getting shot. They will perform dangerous duties such as clearing out houses, just like they do for todays police services. They will save many human lives, and come back heroes for those who worked with them. I will not sign.
[notify]
Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 8:57pm PST 
Kisses, applause.
[notify]
ekko bleu- vomspeerhaus

PRECIOUS- PUDDIN'PUP

Barked: Sat Oct 11, '08 1:10pm PST 
applauseapplausewe agree with kisses
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)