GO!

Do any other vegetarians cook for their dogs?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Griffin- In Loving- Memory

A smilin' Chiny- Chin Chin

Barked: Thu Sep 18, '08 6:48am PST 
Griffin has a really bad digestion problem. Since I've had him, he's had pretty constant diarrhea. I know he's allergic to corn and wheat, so I feed him rice and venison or rice and whatever formula dog food from Nutro Max. I've been thinking of making his food myself, but I'm daunted by the idea of cooking meat. I've been vegetarian for over 2 years now, but I didn't give it up because I don't like meat! IF I have chicken in the house, I'm afraid I'll eat it, and I really don't want to go that route. Any other vegetarians cook for their dogs? I'm not looking to make him veggie, just to get some support.

Thanks
Kelle
[notify]
Tsuki

...and I'm over- here!!

Barked: Thu Sep 18, '08 8:17am PST 
Its really not that bad. I was vegan for 6 years and recently started to eat some fish, so I guess I'm a 'pescetarian' now!

Its more a moral issue for me than a dietary one. I would feel that feeding most commercial kibbles to be against my philosophies for food production and utilization than I do obtaining whole meats for the dogs. I try to order cage free, grass fed meats from suppliers whose philosophies I can stand behind. You might pay a bit more, you might not, but its worth the extra effort for me.

Also, its great to think about what your dog is eating in context. When people order a burger or steak or something, they are getting one part of that animal - but where are all the other parts? Wasted? I sure hope not. By purchasing organs and parts most people (non veg) don't normally consume (like kidney, heart, brain, tongue, stomach, etc.) I feel as though that animal did not die in vain and nothing is really wasted, I am using the animal's meat as best I can in my dog's meals. They even get ears and feet.
And I really enjoy learning about the anatomy and usage. Its not gross to me, its fairly educational.

Now the consumption and preparation part - that takes some getting used to, but as I chose to share my home with three dogs who were created to eat and benefit from a meat based diet, I have to do what is best by them. If I couldn't handle it, I wouldn't have dogs!
[notify]
Gabe the Dog

It's Gabe. Gabe- the Dog

Barked: Thu Sep 18, '08 10:39am PST 
I'm veg also (occasional fish)and cook for my dog (but also give him some premade raw, canned and kibble-just depends) It takes a little research to make sure you are including everything your dog needs to stay healthy, but it is not difficult once you get a recipe. I make a big batch of Gabe's stew on a Saturday then freeze it in single portions so I can defrost them as needed. If you are tempted to eat the chicken, but want to stay veg, just think of it as dog food- that's why you will be buying it.
[notify]

Ivan, Sugar,- Victor,- Bruno

Barked: Tue Sep 23, '08 3:45am PST 
My husband and I are vegetarian, but I realize that my dogs and cats are carnivores, and need meat. I have cooked for them, and it's not a big deal. I usually use frozen chicken and toss it in the crock pot. I really want to do a raw diet for them, but my husband isn't really into it. He said it's supporting factory farming, so what's the point of being vegetarian? I told him we can get the pet's meat from family farms, but it's going to cost a lot, and then he admitted that buying kibble is still supporting factory farming, so it's really a moot point. Then he pointed out how long most of our dogs have lived, just eating kibble. That doesn't mean it's what's best for them!
[notify]
Jersey

Bark Bark Bark- Bark Bark!

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 1:16pm PST 
Our dogs do get beef, salmon and raw eggs, but a lot of their protein comes from beans, lentils, split peas, corn, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. If chicken tempts you, then feed them other things that won't appeal to you. As long as you are feeding a good variety, and a vitamin supplement, they don't need a ton of meat. We switched to more vegetarian choices for them b/c Jersey had kidney issues. They resolved themselves almost immediately with less meat. Also made the diet cheaper, and easier.
[notify]
Joey

Watching over- all...

Barked: Fri Oct 24, '08 6:27am PST 
Yes, I am a vegetarian and I cook meat for my dog- every day! I was vegan for quite a few months but have recently started eating a little bit of cheese and honey- therefore I'm no longer a "vegan".

It's really not that bad when you know that you are doing the best thing for your dog. Dogs are designed to eat meat and although they can do very well on vegetarian diets it's probably best that they stick with a meaty diet.

Joey's diet is more fish-based than anything now since I've noticed changes in his coat when he is fed fish often. It's more shiny, full, and definitely more healthy than when he was on a red meat based diet due to all that healthy fish oil! I find that cooking fish isn't quite as depressing as cooking a cow or pig. I tend to buy wild-caught fish so I know the animal probably lived a good long life in the ocean or river it came from before being fished out for food. Cows and pigs on the other hand tend to live in horrible conditions unless you buy free-range meat which is far more expensive than what's on sale in the "regular" meat isle.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Sat Oct 25, '08 10:36pm PST 
Uggg, I admire the willpower of vegans. I could NEVER give up cheese and milk and honey. I LOVE the taste TOO much. However, I am a vegetarian and I won't TOUCH meat. I knew when I was 9 that I didn't like the idea of eating meat. I've always loved all animals and one day I wish I could have my own little dairy farm. With a few chickens, a rooster and a few cows. I'd even like a handful of sheep. I didn't become a dedicated vegetarian until recently, however. And, now, I eat that "fake meat". Soy and tofu all the way. But, I do cook for my dogs. And, it is hard. I get sick handling the meat and sometimes I pause and woder why I'm doing it. Then, I remember the health benefits it has for my dogs. And,I couldn't be more content. Just, always read labels. If you're worried about factory farms, try and buy meat from privately owned farms. If you're worried about hormones try and feed meat with none. Things like that. If you're worried about eating meat, think of the reasons you made the decision. wink
[notify]