GO!

Fleas

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Charley

Barked: Mon Sep 8, '08 4:24pm PST 
I have noticed that my standard poodle puppy seems to be scratching an awful lot. I think he's got fleas despite the fact that we've been keeping Frontline on him. My mother-in-law has the same problem. I'm wondering if the Frontline isn't spreading properly because his skin isn't oily enough. We've used Frontline on our dogs before and haven't had a problem with it but it doesn't seem to be working on Charley.

Just wondering if other poodle owners have experienced this and also wondering what is best to use for flea prevention on a poodle.
[notify]
Zeus

I'm momma's- little boy!

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 9:02am PST 
We live in Arkansas and the fleas have been terrible this year. We use frontline as well and have bombed our house and sprayed our yard several times. WE STILL HAVE THEM. I'm frustrated as well. I'm going to try a new product this time and see if it will help. Please let us know if you are successful.
[notify]
UWP URO-1- UKC CH Paux- De Deux

Chaz-Mania

Barked: Mon Oct 13, '08 4:03pm PST 
Wash frequently and often.

Fleas die in water--they cannot swim...between baths, flea comb in addition to sprays that are supplimental to the spot treatment.

I lived in FL, and had sand fleas outside really bad, but my toy poodle insisted in laying in the sand...so she came in and had a bath, and spray...

It worked, but you have to be diligent
[notify]

Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Sat Oct 18, '08 8:21am PST 
Have you seen a vet to rule out things like allergies? What food are you eating? Some foods might cause dry skin which leads to itching.

We use ditomacious earth (food grade) to kill fleas. We always leave it under furniature, under crate pads, in corners of the house etc. It works well. When we see a flea, we treat with frontline or advantage. We also vacuum a lot, and throw out the vacuum bags otherwise the flea eggs can hatch in there! Wash everything that can be washed-- take your rugs to the cleaners, wash all your comforters, blankets, dog beds, towels, everything in your linen closet etc. You can also apply some natural flea repellants to help give an added boost to your flea repelling power. Frequent bathing and combing (make sure y ou're not just throwing the hair in the trash in the house or it will take flea eggs into your trash to hatch back and re-infest your pet) is essential as well.
[notify]