GO!

Refuses to poop outside!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Joey

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 8:25am PST 
We have been having MANY issues with our almost 2 year old beagle. He is refusing to poop outside at our own house. If we go anywhere else, to my brothers, in-laws, etc. he goes and poops outside at their house! Help!!!! We are getting really frusterated, he can spend 2 hrs outside at our home and will not go, he saves it until he comes back in. Please help.
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 10:32am PST 
I had a dog that did that as well. For the longest time he would only poop in the house. To be honest, we just dealt with it. I picked up the poo and flushed it and that was that.

My two other dogs occasionally poo in the house as well, again I just pick it up and flush.

Sorry that wasn't any help, just wanted you to know we feel your pain!
[notify]
Farrah- ♥12/9- 7-3/06

I love Bosco,- Jack & GR

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 11:16am PST 
I just pick it up when it happens, but could the reason for him doing that be that maybe he not pooped in the house, but peed there as well? Dogs tend to go where they leave their scent....including inside the house.
[notify]

~Emma~ RL1

Mixed breed,- Pure heart

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 1:15pm PST 
I'm gonna bump you up.

Honestly I would start house training from scratch.

Is he eating on a schedule. If he is maybe you could predict when he needs to go. Really get him on a time table.

When he does go outside (even peeing) are you praising, ya know throwing a pee party? Let him know that is what is going to get him positive results?

Really clean the areas where he has messed. I've always heard vinegar will really cut out the smell for the dog.
[notify]
Joey

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 5:15pm PST 
Thanks for your help. We try to clean up as much as possible, we are going to be tearing up the carpet when he normally goes. He does eat on a normal schedule and than take him out around 10 minutes after he eats but still won't go. He is just a little stinker. I don't know if we can handle this anymore!
[notify]
Hallie

Shelter Beagles- need homes

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 5:55pm PST 
I would treat him like a puppy as far as potty training goes.
That means crate time, and make it a big deal when he goes outside, don't let him out of the crate unless you can watch him, he'll get the pictur after a week or two way to go
[notify]
The Wee- Beasties

The Wee 3 are- now the Wee 7!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 6:56pm PST 
This might sound crazy but we used food rewards with Daisy to get her to go when she was outside. She'd lost her clean den instinct due to her breeder's neglect and would just go whenever and wherever she liked, so crate training wasn't going well. Daisy is very food-motivated so this worked out well for us.

Good luck!
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 7:22pm PST 
Maybe 10 minutes after he eats is too soon. They are all different. Moira is being trained right now. She needs about 30 minutes after her second meal.

Watch him like a hawk when it's about the right time. Or watch the clock. Put him out and give him a treat if he goes. A Beagle can always eat.

He is old enough that you can show some displeasure if you find it soon after he goes in the house. Put him outside, even though, technically it is too late. I certainly don't mean to hit or hurt the dog, but to say 'bad' and 'outside' isn't going to traumatize him.
[notify]
Joey

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 7:44pm PST 
Thanks for all the advice. I had leaving him in a kennel and I know that its my fault for letting him run the house and pooping inside, but he still does it right in front of us! He is like a time clock after he eats, literally I see him poop 10 minutes after he eats. If I see him poop in front of me, I tell him "No! you poop outside" and put him out there but all he does is whine. Beagles are so stubborn. I just don't understand how at anybody else's house (like tonight!) he goes outside and poops. I am just beside myself, I do not know what to do.
[notify]
Nokia- Agmonim

Please break- into our- house...Please!

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 9:23pm PST 
Crate training is the best but to RE-train a dog you can take him out and watch him...if he dosn't go put him back in the crate. Try again in about 15-20 minutes. If he does go let him be part of the family for about 30 minutes and then back out and start it all again.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2