GO!

Over my head...I cannot take anymore

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Peddles

Please give this- girl a chance.

Barked: Wed Jul 23, '08 3:28pm PST 
I not sure if I can help Peddles anymore. I have had her for 4 months and I not sure I can do it anymore. I love her and care what happens to her but I have taken on too much.

I am having trouble house training her and she is peeing and pooping in her kennel. Since she is blind she is difficult to manage and is hyper and barks and barks.

I work 8 hours a day and have two other big dogs that require a lot of time and money. Now that I have taken her on as a foster, I am overwhelm.

The old guy I got her from still comes over and sees her and offered to take her back until I find her a new home but I cannot stand the thought of her being tied up outside 24 hours. However, he is retire, so he is home all day and spends time with her. Even more time than I can. Do I let him take her back?

I was hoping I can help her to get better and ready for a forever home but she needs more help than I can give.

What do I do.......I love her so much and want her to find the best home. Has anybody been in this situation and what did you do.
[notify]
Chewy-ADOPTE- D!

Wannabe Muppet!

Barked: Wed Jul 23, '08 3:55pm PST 
Actually, I did get in over my head with Chewy. I work full-time, and he marked everything in the house including the bed and furniture and every square inch of carpet, got into the trash, got out of his crate, and jumped the dog gate. In addition to barking constantly. It was just too much to handle. I was lucky that I volunteer with a foster organization, so they were able to place him with another foster. If that's a possibility for you, I think I would ask. If not, then maybe the old man can take her back temporarily under certain conditions, one of which is that she can't be tied up outside 24/7. Good luck!
[notify]
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '08 7:13am PST 
have you considered basic obedience? for a lot of people, training any dog is a challenge...but training a blind dog can seem utterly impossible. if it's financially possible, i'd try to get her into some training classes; try finding someone who has some experience with blind dogs.

if you can't afford to go the professional route, you might get some training books...maybe there are even ones specifically for dogs with disabilities like blindness...and go from there.

your biggest obstacle is finding a way to communicate with her, that she understands. she's at a huge disadvantage in this world to begin with, since she's blind...dogs rely SO much on body language, even in learning from their people, and since she can't SEE body language, she really has nothing to go on.
[notify]

~ Princess ~

I AM A- PRINCESS- !!!!!

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '08 7:42am PST 
I so wish I could help you but I live so far away, good luck and dont give up.
[notify]
Peddles

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '08 10:02am PST 
I am having a trainer c0me to my house next week to see what he can do with my dogs. Since I had her at my house, my dogs have gotten some issues. However, he said Peddles would take alot of work and time. He thinks I should have him work on my other dogs only and put her up when he comes. I think that is what discouraged me.

I am starting school in about an month and I thought I would have found her a home during the summer.frown

I am lost.....and my heart is getting heavy and I am losing hope that she will find a good home.
[notify]
Kita- Adopted! :)

Big dogs can be- lap dogs too!

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '08 1:09pm PST 
If a dog aggressive Akita can find a fablous home this little blind girl can too. So, I know you are basically doing this on your own but you do need more help. Contact a local rescue group, ask them to put a courtsey listing for you on Petfinder. Also ask if it possible to show your dog at their local adoption stands- many will let you do that- but you normally have to agree to use their adoption application and home screening process- which isn't such a bad deal. Also, just contact your local rescues and explain your situation and ask for advice. Many have experience with blind dogs. Its possible someone for the rescue will even come out and work with the dog. Never know until you ask. Since you have the medical taken care of and you are not looking to simply dump this dog, I think they will be able to help you.
[notify]
~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '08 2:15pm PST 
I agree with Kita's post....I had contacted a rescue here in St. Louis when you first got her and unfortunately they are full...I will ask again. I know they would take her if they could. Can you work with a rescue there? A lot of rescues are full now but if you are willing to keep her at your house, they can help you help her find a home. Please don't give up. hughughughug
[notify]
Peddles

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '08 3:25pm PST 
I would love for them to help me find her a home. Anything will help. Thanks for your help
[notify]
~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '08 4:02pm PST 
Hi....we pmailed you. But also, we just found that you can post an ad on petfinder.com for free:

http://www.petfinder.com/classifieds/classifiedhop.html
[notify]
Lily- 11/17/2005 - 6/2/2014

Born to be Wild

Barked: Wed Jul 30, '08 6:37pm PST 
Email Best Friends Network, and any other rescue you can find an email address for. Mom was on the net every night for hours emailing rescues. It does get discouraging when you're trying to save the dog and no one has room. Best Friends has contacts all over the nation and if they can't take him, they can tell you about rescues that you can contact. They were the only ones who came through for our rescues and it resulted in us finding a rescue in New Orleans to take them. Good luck!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2