GO!

flea allergies, sigh

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Malcolm

Momma's Boy

Barked: Sat Jul 12, '08 9:39am PST 
hi all! every year without fail, my almost 3 year old black lab mix gets a terrible flea allergy. even when i rid him of the fleas, he's still digging at previous flea bites. he loses a lot of his fur and his skin turns red. it starts on his lower back to his tail, and goes down to his legs and forearms. the poor thing gets so miserable and it seems that no matter what i try, nothing seems to help. i even got anti-itch pills from the vet that really did no good for him. he's also been on antibiotics because he gave himself a bacterial infection from chewing on himself. lamb and rice food helps to an extent but it doesnt rid him of the constant digging and chewing. I give him benedryl as well but quite frankly, i'm tired of putting chemicals all over and inside his body, especially when they arent even working. i would love some natural remedy tips to help my puppy. if anyone knows of something, we would be sooooo grateful if you shared them with us! cloud 9

Malcolm and Momma big grin
[notify]
Sakura (Chi Chi Baby)

Everyone Loves a- Chi Chi Baby

Barked: Sat Jul 12, '08 10:30am PST 
Oh! We have this same problem with Sakura. O____O
I don't have no advice, but, just wanted to say I'm interested in what the people here can advise.

Also, I use Sulfodene for her red spots where she bites. It's for hot spots- but it DOES help. The redness has went down. I just have to be extra careful when it's on that she doesn't bite there, though. So, I often take her for a walk afterward.
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sat Jul 12, '08 12:28pm PST 
I know how you feel; we treated the dogs and cat with flea killer/repelent, bathed the two dogs with flea killing shampoo, treated the carpetting in the house (which involved vaccuuming as well), and even treated the yard, but two weeks later, we had an infestation despite all those efforts. And Daddy has until now been hard to bathe (we found out we can hook up a shortish lead to the tree out front and spray him down with the hose with very little trouble...but he hates being in the bathtub and freaks out...). The fleas have just been completely out of control these past two summers.

We put some topical natural oil on Daddy meant to help relieve sores, and the fleas absolutely hated it. I've also heard that giving dogs apple cider vinegar tablettes helps deter fleas, so as soon as I get my next check I'm investing in some; even if it doesn't help with the fleas, it has other health benefits for dogs as well.

Edited by author Sat Jul 12, '08 12:29pm PST

[notify]

Malcolm

Momma's Boy

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 8:30am PST 
thank you for your replies. i hate to see him go thru this, he gets so miserable. frown

i wonder how the apple cider vinegar tablets taste to the dogs. i could give this a try and see how it works. i give him brewer's yeast tablets for his skin and he loves them!

i normally bathe him with an oatmeal baby shampoo, also for his skin. i'd rather this than a chemical based dog shampoo, that just seems to harsh for a dog with skin issues.

daddy, what kind of topical oil do you use?
[notify]
Mandy

Let's go!

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 10:23am PST 
I know you said no chemicals, and sorry for saying this, but there a 2 or 3 new flea treatments out this year that you can get at your vet. fleas are very bad this year! and they need something they haven't been exposed to in the past. of course they come with some risks, but so does everything. talk to you vet. I would name them, but then you'll read horror stories from someone about them, even if the products work fantastic for millions of other pets. ANYHOW, just call your vet and ask about the new flea control treaments.
If you'd like to learn more about fleas and stopping them, this is the man!!!!
http://drmichaeldryden.com/happy dance
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 11:13am PST 
The topical oil we used is a mixture of tea tree oil, safflower oil, and vitamin E; it has no chemicals and the fleas really didn't like it. The oil also really helped heal/soothe a couple of scratches he had from scratching himself. It was also nice because he doesn't like the taste/smell of it, so he won't lick it off. As for the apple cider vinegar, I want to get pills instead of liquid to make sure they get it in their systems and still get enough water; I plan on hiding it in a ball of raw ground turkey.

Edited by author Sun Jul 13, '08 11:14am PST

[notify]
Mandy

Let's go!

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 2:42pm PST 
oh, I thought of something else. some people use brewer's yeast. from personal experience, i was home brewing beer for a while, and I haven't had any this past year or so. I never got bit by mosquitos when I was drinking homebrew beer which has lots of yeast in it compared to commercial stuff. I haven't had much in this past year ,and I'm being eaten alive. co-incidence? or is it the yeast. thinking
[notify]
Lita

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 3:26pm PST 
Lita had that when she was litt,e but got like 2 shots, i dont remember exactly, but one seeomes like an allergy shot and one some kind of steriod shot, and she hasnt had a problem since. i think usually the shot works for a period of time and you have to get it again, but it worked after one time for her
[notify]
Ebony Mae

I'm a leo, adore- me...

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 3:36pm PST 
oh dear i can definitely relate this is our second year of the darn pesky things and ebony's sores were horrible. the problem with us here are sand fleas and every time i take ebony to the beach she comes home with welts on her body. it got to the point that while she is recovering now we stay clear of the beach despite how much she loves it.

she used to like eating her morning meal with a clove of fresh garlic and brewers yeast, but has since developed a dislike for the stuff and turns her nose up if i put it in her food. i also did the apple cider vinegar in her water and that is okay, but you have to work them up to more. brewers yeast is apparently helpful also if you sprinkle it on their bodies because the fleas are repelled by the yeast, and it is suggested to do this outside. i was using aloe vera gel for the sores.

i was worried about infection from her constant scratching because some of the sores were horrible so after much thought i took her to the vet first to verify that it was indeed flea allergy and not a staph infection and the vet prescribed antibiotics. i hate giving her those things and she is coming up on her last dose tonight thank goodness.

i used benedryl to help reduce her scratching instead of the prednisone that was prescribed. i took a 25 mg benedryl and split it in half and gave it twice a day that helped relieve the itcing.

don't know what else to suggest here, but you have to prevent secondary infections for sure.
[notify]
Gabe the Dog

It's Gabe. Gabe- the Dog

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 6:49pm PST 
we can relate and are battling fleas now! For itchies, we use Relief shampoo, not chemical free, but works great if you leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes and you would not have to use it for every bath. I also had someone recommend Chris Christiansen Peace and Kindness Colloidal silver to help hot spots from getting infected. It seems to work rather than going on antibiotics or prednisone.

I have also had it recommended to make an oatmeal paste to leave on in the bath for soothing. This sounds messy-unless you have a garbage disposal in your tub, but it may be soothing if you could rinse it outside?

Both our holistic vet and conventional vet recommend the use of (whole body) fish oil. It helps with inflammation and magnifies the benefits of an oral antihistamine...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2