GO!

importing dogs to meet small dog demands!!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
TaneyCo- Girley Girl

girley is the- bomb

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '08 10:14pm PST 
We have done such a great Job in spneutering our dogs, that many AR shelters are now having to import dogs from other countries in order to keep up with demand for small dogs!!!!
Are you surprised? I was for sure. I feel that instead of importing dogs, they should have closed a few of their shelters that were no longer needed.
The AR movement really did do a super job in getting people to alter their dogs, which eliminated many unwanted litters from being dumped off at the local shelter. I commend their efforts totally. However my good feelings towards their hard work get cloudy when i hear They have imported 14 thousand dogs from Puerto Rico alone in the last 7 years.

http://enews.tufts.edu/stories/020603FillingEmptyPounds.ht m

They import "rescue" from numerous countries including Taiwan, Mexico, Korea and many others. Some talk people who they know will be vacationing in other countries to bring back small dogs and call it feel good spiritual names like "angel flights" The do good tourist then turns the dog(s) over to the rescue who in turn sells it for 200 to 500 dollars to an American.

Unfortunately they are not just importing dogs, they are in fact importing unwanted things, like rabies, fungies ect. parasites.

Am I alone here in feeling that people importing dogs to sell from shelters are wronging Americans by not telling them where their new pet came from? Wronging Americans by bringing in diseased dogs. We are seeing reintroductions of diseases thought to be eradicated, as well as introduction's to new diseases not previously known to exist here in America.

In my opinion, we need to open our eyes to what is going on, and actually do something about it. Importation of dogs for sale by humane societies and the like is dangerous, and deceptive.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '08 11:13pm PST 
In MI, I'm not sure if it's a lack of availability of small dogs due to spay/neuter or just that they have become so popular, so the demand is higher. There are huge numbers of 'designer' small dogs being bred by BYBs in this area.

I can't tell how many people tell me I should have a small dog because of my age. No, thank you!! I quit having Huskies for that reason, but there are plenty of quieter medium or large breeds to choose from. People also assume small dogs don't need exercise, they are couch potatoes, they fit better in houses, they are less trouble, etc. I don't think so.

I agree we do not need to import dogs from other countries. Let's get some of our own placed first.
[notify]
TaneyCo- Girley Girl

girley is the- bomb

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '08 12:45am PST 
Hi Lily,
I agree you should have what size dog you are ok with. The reports I have read indicate only smaller breeds are being imported, but in massive quantities!!! I was further shocked to see importation laws. From most countries all that is needed is a rabies cert. and sometimes a health cert. What about the dogs that have rabies in the earliest stages and are given a shot prior to leaving their country of origin. Well we all know vaccinating a dog wont do any good if the dog has it already, and the vaccination needs time to make the antibodies. These very lax rules need to be changed fast!!!
I just can not get past the fact that it is AR groups, local humane soc, and "rescues" doing this horrible importing. What is up with that?????
[notify]

Bretta - **Guardian- Angel Now**

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '08 1:18am PST 
I think that instead of importing dogs from other countries, the shelters should look at importing them from other shelters in other parts of the country.

We need to take care of our own first, before taking in dogs from other countries.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '08 5:46am PST 
I do think that we should look at other shelters first. However, I'm all for and have been invovled in rescue from other areas. Mexico, over seas, and other areas too. They also need help and I'm all for spreading out what I can do.
[notify]
Bretta - **Guardian- Angel Now**

10/2005 RIP- 12/2008

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '08 6:01am PST 
Taney, I haven't looked at the import stuff yet, but maybe the answer is to have an import policy similar to the one South Korea uses. Rabies shots must be at least 30 days old and not less than a year. They also require a health certificate (stating the animal is free of parasites) and a copy of the rabies certificate.

Given that part of the farm bill that was passed several months ago had a provision to stop the importation of pups under 6 months, that will take care of animals too young to be vaccinated.
[notify]
Jelly

The world- belongs to me!

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '08 6:51am PST 
We have a shortage of small dogs in the area that I live in Canada. The shortage is real because Mommy tried to adopt a small dog locally and couldn't get one. She went to Animal Services (the pound), the Humane Society and a no kill shelter and was told the same thing. You have to put your name on a waiting list for a small dog. When they hear of one coming in then they start to phone down the list for potential adopters. Normally the small dogs don't even spend time in the shelter but come in, get examined by a vet and have people there waiting to take them home. We have noticed that there are now a few local shelters that are trying to meet this demand and are importing small dogs from shelters in the USA. The sad part is that we have many larger dogs that are in shelters that need homes. I do understand that people who want a little dog many times can't take a big dog so that is a problem we just have to live with. I have never heard of an area of Canada that has too many little dogs so I think it is great if we can rescue some of the little dogs in the USA. It does seem strange to me that we are bringing in small dogs from the USA while shelters in the USA are bringing them in from other countries. I do agree with the concept that we should look after the ones in our own country before we import from others.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '08 6:52am PST 
The AR movement really did do a super job in getting people to alter their dogs, which eliminated many unwanted litters from being dumped off at the local shelter. I commend their efforts totally. However my good feelings towards their hard work get cloudy when i hear They have imported 14 thousand dogs from Puerto Rico alone in the last 7 years.

Uh, Taney, you do realize that dogs from Puerto Rico are not "imported" in any normal sense of the word, right? Any more than dogs moved from the southeastern US (where they are still in oversupply) to the northeast (where there is a shortage of adoptabe small dogs) are "imported" ?

Puerto Rico is part of the US, its citizens are US citizens, and its dogs are American dogs.

In any case, to respond to your intended point, if there are homeless dogs in Mexico, and homes wanting those dogs in the US, I don't see what the problem is. There should be vaccination and vet exam requirements for bringing animals into the US--but you know what? There are.

Shelters and rescues adopting them out at $200-$500 aren't making a profit; your use of the word "sell" in this context tells us more about your mindset than theirs.
[notify]
Augustin

Arrrr... where- be the rum?

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '08 10:03am PST 
Yeah, I don't really see the problem as long as all laws applying to the importation of live animals are being followed. The AKC and other organizations that profit from irresponsible breeding try to make a big deal out of any importation of dogs for adoption, but if a dog in need of a home gets a home, the adopter pays a fee they can afford, and nobody is breaking the law, what's the big deal?

I'd rather see them importing dogs from other states with more trouble adopting their dogs out, like North Carolina, but sometimes it's more feasible to get a dog from Thailand or Puerto Rico than North Carolina, if they happen to know someone going to Puerto Rico but not someone going to North Carolina.

I see no reason for a shelter to close if they still have community support and are still performing the duty of adopting out dogs.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '08 10:20am PST 
I'd rather see them importing dogs from other states with more trouble adopting their dogs out, like North Carolina, but sometimes it's more feasible to get a dog from Thailand or Puerto Rico than North Carolina, if they happen to know someone going to Puerto Rico but not someone going to North Carolina.

Totally agree, except that I'm going to point out once again that getting a dog from Puerto Rico is like getting a dog from North Carolina, not like getting a dog from Thailand. It's an American dog being moved from one part of the country to another part of the country--not a foreign import.

But in any case, if the dog in need is in Thailand, and the home in need is in the US, and it's feasible to move the dog and all laws are complied with, why not? So that puppy millers don't lose a potential sale? *yawn* Not interested in the complaints of puppy millers; more interested in matching up homeless dogs with good homes.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13