GO!

Is the Peticure a good tool?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Sat Jun 21, '08 8:35am PST 
I see someone below already posted about it, but wanted to see what you guys think about this situation:

My mom has been grooming her own yorkie, but she doesn't cut her nails. I thought this looked like it would be easy for her to use. She stopped taking her yorkie to the groomer because she's out of control and the groomer cut her ear last time (dog's fault, not the groomer, I'm sure - I love the groomer and take Brody there). When my mom grooms her, she's completely calm. BUT, she really needs her nails cut.

So do you guys really think this is good for home grooming like my mom will be doing? Especially for a dog who has a tendency to act like a little wild?

Here's the website:
peticure
[notify]
Abigail- Grace

Lean close.- Closer--so i can- kiss you.

Barked: Sat Jun 21, '08 11:35am PST 
dad has always used a dremel on me & at first the buzzing & the tickle made me uncomfortable. the smell & cloud of nail-dust bothered mom & me...now i dont mind getting my nails done-too much-butt i had to get used to it. this is a modified dremel, according to the website, & it's really not too much more than dad paid for the cordless dremel that he uses.
it looks like a good thing...just remember the cookie afterwards winkwink
[notify]
Abigail- Grace

Lean close.- Closer--so i can- kiss you.

Barked: Sat Jun 21, '08 11:35am PST 
sorry, my paw slipped. red face

Edited by author Sat Jun 21, '08 11:45am PST

[notify]

Juliette

Great Squirrel- Hunter

Barked: Sat Jun 21, '08 1:05pm PST 
there was a whole discussion on here about peticure awhile ago. From my understanding there were problems at first, but it was corrected by the maker.
[notify]
Kuma

Desperately cute- & stinky!

Barked: Sat Jun 21, '08 10:29pm PST 
I've always used a Dremel with Kuma to file his nail down. This was the way his breeder showed me, so I just kept it. The only thing is to watch out for the nail not to get too hot while filing. I use a back and forth motion to allow the nail to cool off.
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Sun Jun 22, '08 8:01am PST 
I'm also wondering if this would be worth getting. If your mom does buy it, let us know how it goes!
Brody

Barked: Sun Jun 22, '08 8:02am PST 
Thanks everyone! I think I might suggest it to her.

In the instructional videos, it says not to do one nail for longer than 3-5 seconds. It looks like they really only touch it to the nail for a second at a time though.
[notify]
Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Sun Jun 22, '08 8:23am PST 
I think if your mom conditioned her to the tool, she may tolerate it a lot better than clipping. I know that most dogs I've groomed, when trained properly to accept the dremel, will handle it much better than the traditional choppers smile. Rondo in particular hates the pressure caused by squeezing down on the nail.

I use the dremel on my two, but with long hair you have to be really careful not to get the hair wrapped up in it. That's the issue I've seen most non-professionals run into with the dremel. From what I've heard, this doesn't occur with the peticure (?). The convenience of it may be just what your mom needs!

I don't know much about the tool itself, as I haven't even seen one in real life, but I have heard good things about it from dog owners...
Bruce

Yippie! Spring- is here :)

Barked: Sun Jun 22, '08 10:01am PST 
We finally got our Peticure Elite a week ago. I gave him a few days to get used to the sight and sound of it then did a few nails. Then the next day we did all the rest. He was a little skittish but no crying like with the nail clippers and the nails were so smooth. No sharp edges to tear my legs up! We used it on his brother and he was fine also. So far we're very pleased with it dancing
[notify]
Brody

Barked: Sun Jun 22, '08 2:40pm PST 
That's great Bruce!

Thank you for all of your responses!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2