GO!

Flyball

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Keelie

Wanna Race?

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 10:53am PST 
I was looking into flyball because I'm fast and can jump. My one problem is I don't like tennis balls. Is there ways to get me to like them? Moms not sure why I don't like them. Mom thinks I'll be great if I could like tennis balls.

One more question, for small dogs can they use small tennis balls? or do they have to use the big ones too, I don't think I could fit the big ones in my mouth.
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 11:08am PST 
You can use just about any type of ball as long as it will fit in the flyball box. Our team has about 5 different types and sizes of balls for the different dogs. The regular tennis balls, then some medium sized fuzzy tennis balls, small fuzzy tennis balls, tiny foam balls, and felt cat toy balls. Some even have little crochetted covers so that the dogs that don't like to put balls in their mouths can grab onto the yarns instead.

To play flyball the dog doesn't have to LOVE balls. It is sometimes actually easier to train if they dog isn't completely obsessed over the ball. If all the focus is on the ball, then it is sometimes difficult to get the dog to work at the other aspects and learn them correctly. If you will retrieve any sort of ball, then you will likely be fine. If you won't retrieve a ball at all, then there are some easy ways to work on it. One that works well is if you get a small tennis ball (you can usually get them at pet stores or dollar stores, in either the dog or cat section) and break it so that when you squeeze the sides, a hole opens up like a Pac-Man mouth. Stick a few small and tasty treats inside, then call the dog over and make a big deal about opening the ball and taking a treat out. Put the ball on the floor in front of the dog, and any interest towards the ball gets a click (if you use the clicker already that helps!), pick up the ball and make a big deal about getting a treat out of it. Next, slowly roll the ball a short ways on the floor. If the dog follows it even for a little bit, again make a huge deal about it and take a treat from inside the ball. Work on it a small bit at a time, eventaually encouraging the dog to pick up the ball or bring it back to you to have you remove the treat from inside.
[notify]
Keelie

Wanna Race?

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 11:21am PST 
I didn't know you could use any ball! Especially a fuzzy ball! That's awesome! Thanks for the advice! I was just working on jumps with Keelie, she was doing better than I expected.
[notify]

Gio

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 11:30am PST 
The actual wording for what balls are allowed to be used in NAFA racing is:

Section 1.2 - Balls
Each club shall have a supply of unpunctured approved balls (any color). Subject to the
size and comfort of the dog, racket balls, or approved balls may be used. Approved balls
must function like a tennis ball, i.e., they must bounce and roll.

I think there is also something about how the ball can't serve as a distraction to other dogs, ie. it can't squeak or make a noise.
[notify]
Keelie

Wanna Race?

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 11:33am PST 
Yes, I just read that after I posted. I'm not sure if this is what we want to do. But looking into it.
[notify]
Keelie

Wanna Race?

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 12:03pm PST 
Ok one more question. How do you train your dog to bring you the toy? Keelie right now isn't a very good fetcher. (lol) I want to join a class but it says you have to have a love of ball and right now Keelie doesn't.
[notify]
Gio

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 12:34pm PST 
Have you talked to the people offering the class? Do they actually require that the dog already know how to fetch, or is that just a fun phrase for their web page? Ideally, the trainers should be able to work with you on training a retrieve. I can easily say that there is at least one dog in every class that we offer that comes to us with no fetch drive, so it's really not uncommon. I would think that the trainers would be able to address that in class.

Start off with sending an e-mail to them to ask whether or not they require the dog know how to retrieve. Also ask what methods they use to teach a retrieve (there are some barbaric people out there still using the force retrieve methods ... if they say anything about force retrieves, run away).

In the mean time, start working on the exercise I detailed in my first post of this thread.
[notify]
Tess - FDCH-G

Life's a- ball...chase it.

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 1:15pm PST 
Does Keelie have a toy that is a favourite? Sometimes we start dogs off with a plush toy instead of a ball, they can learn all the right moves and the ball can be substituted in later.
[notify]
Kia

Puppy Girl

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 4:04pm PST 
i have always loved balls lol so were now on a waiting list for flyballwave
[notify]
Keelie

Wanna Race?

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 5:10pm PST 
Tess that is what I was trying to do but she won't bring it to me.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3