GO!

Humping out of control

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tucker- Archibald- Lee

Love me PLEASE

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 8:00pm PST 
Ok so Tuck first started humping the other dogs a few months back but it was not as frequent or frustrating,

The past two days out of nowehere EVERY time they play he humps them and of course the other dog gets angry and puts him in his place.

A few minutes later he tries it again......

How do I discourage this behavior or do I continue to allow the other dogs to teach him.

And why is this just starting in the elast 2 days?
[notify]
Syd

"If it can be- destroyed, IM ON- IT !"

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 8:33pm PST 
There might be a female dog in your area, that could be going into heat.Male dogs can smell the scent from up to a mile away.

I know right before my chihuahua would go into heat, my jack russell would start humping all the other dogs constantly, and i ended up getting her fixed.My jack russell isnt fixed either..But i just recently got her fixed, so i havent been able to tell if it resolved the humping issue yet.

Ive also heard that humping could be a dominating problem, but since your dog has only recently starting doing this, im not sure if hes being dominate.

My jack also does it to other people that come over aswell, (the worst)..it could just be a common thing.Just natural and what not.
But if i had to say, i would say its another female dog in your area, or the sent carried from a friend coming over.
[notify]
Khola- CDX, CGC

R plus and- paitence what a- shocking idea

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 9:58pm PST 
IN watching your dogs videos on his page... it looks like he can be a very intense dog. Intense dogs tend to get ovely excited about things and this can manifest itself in humping behavior.

If the other dogs correcting him when he begins this does not work to your satisfaction, then when you see him start to get overly excited in situations, place him on a lead and put him in a down stay away from the stimuli so he can calm, and when he is, let him back into the action.
[notify]

Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 6:09am PST 
I saw an episode of "Its me or the dog" over the weekend that involved a Bull Terrier that was obsessive about humping...everything! What they did was as soon as he started getting into position, made a loud noise, such as AH AH! And put him in a neutral spot. They had a little closed off area, and each time he acted up thats where he went. He had to be calm and collected and they let him back out. It may take a while, but he will start to understand. Also, make sure he's getting enough exercise. They weren't exercising their Terrier at all, and with a little jog or brisk walk everyday he had calmed down immensely.

Best Wishes!
[notify]
Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 6:57am PST 
Tucker, you again?! laugh out loud

I like what Khola said... but I would also consider maybe getting him a little more exercise as well until he calms back down a little. Maybe he just has too much energy or anxiety he needs to get rid of? shrug
Vicky

Ms.- International- Identity Mystery

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 8:09am PST 
Nallah, I saw that episode too. I think that's a good method to try!
[notify]
Conrad

PLEASE DON'T- LEAVE ME!!!!!

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 8:50am PST 
Humping can mean a lot of things, but in intense dogs (I've got one) it can be a way to relieve conflicting emotions or social anxiety. Conrad's got a few ways he deals with his emotions when they get too intense for him to be able to deal with, some good and some not so good. But one of them is humping. It seems like he humps primarily dogs who make him uncomfortable in some way--dogs that are too hyper or too rough or too spastic, he wants to hump them because he's really unsure of what they're all about.

At home when he gets too worked up, since the only dog around to hump is Marlowe and Marlowe's not a fan of that game and Conrad knows it, he goes to his diggy spot and digs, obsessively and with this crazed look in his eye. But it helps him relieve the tension and burn off some emotional energy.

I do like Khola's recommendation to just quietly leash him up and let him calm down. That's what I do at the dog park if Conrad meets a dog that makes him humpy. I call him back over, leash him up (without scolding or making it in to a punishment) and have him sit or lay down and pet him with calm, long strokes, and talk to him calmly and quietly and just help him settle himself. I wouldn't want to do anything that would add to the already overwhelming emotions he's feeling.
[notify]
Tucker- Archibald- Lee

Love me PLEASE

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 5:58pm PST 
Its funny because intense is the last word i would use to describe Tucker as he is soooooooooo laid back (unless you have food). However, you may see something I dont.

I do think perhaps decrease in excericse could be part of the problem. I have aand n autoimmune disorder and have been in a flare for a few months so my ability to walk is limited. I will have to find other outlets for him and see if this helps.

He always stops the humping when we say stop its just that 5 minutes later he starts it again.

Thanks so much for the advice
[notify]
Tucker- Archibald- Lee

Love me PLEASE

Barked: Mon May 12, '08 8:11pm PST 
Ok so weird

Just as quickly s the humping behavior appeared it disappeared........shrug

Hope it never reurnsway to go
[notify]
Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Tue May 13, '08 6:00am PST 
Haha glad it disappeared!

Just wanted to mention that Dougal (also a laid back dog) gets very humpy when he is focused on a dog, almost obsessively. It's different to when he humps during play - in that case both the dogs are having an awesome time and taking turns humping each other. But if a dog doesn't want to play with him he'll hump. He will follow the dog around trying to hump him. He'll get a grip on the dog's waist and the dog will walk forward, and Dougal will hop after him, still gripping his waist! If he starts this I will remove him, take him away from the dog, make him sit and pet him until he calms down - I guess like a time out. Once he is completely calm I'll let him go, and most times he won't even look at the dog he was obsessed with moments ago!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2