GO!

Miniature Australian Shepherds.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Sushi

May be a fox

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 2:53pm PST 
I'm going to get another puppy in about 7 months.

Were deciding between another Shiba inu, or a mini aussie.

honestly I don't care about the drama that surrounds this breed. I'm looking for someone has knowledge of them as pets.

I want an energetic pup, that likes walking, jogging, hiking, camping, fetch, possible agility.
But is under 40 lbs.
Are they good as house dogs or are they crazy hyper yappy and nippy all the time?

If she only got one walk a day and more exercise on the weekend would that suffice or make the dog crazy cause they are too energetic?

Are they afraid of strangers? Or alot of other things?

I would not be interested in a toy aussie, but a mini 20-30 lbs.

Do they bark or whine alot?
Thanks
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 2:55pm PST 
They can be barkers.
If you get one from a good responsible breeder they should not be overly yappy or badly hyperactive though. Their personalities should be similar to that of an Australian Shepherd but in a smaller "package."

I only know one mini Aussie but she is a wonderful dog and I am told she has the typical personality of the breed. She is very friendly, playful, funny and outgoing. She loves to do activities and exercise but not to the point of craziness. She is a therapy dog and very good at her 'job.'
[notify]
Rudy

Rudy sin- barreras

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 4:25pm PST 
I know someone who has "toy aussies" ( shh ) and they are "house dogs" without a lot of drive and dare I say, delicate. This of course might just be because of their not-so-reputable lineage. From what I've read, miniatures still have a lot of drive and a need to work.

Didnt you just get a border collie too? Two herding pups! I hope you're ready for lots of training! smile

Edited by author Fri May 2, '08 4:28pm PST

[notify]

Pi

My name is Pi- and I'm a belly- rub addict

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 4:41pm PST 
Sorry, but there are hardly ANY good breeders of Mini Aussies, there are only a couple of people who are truly trying to make this a "new breed" most are mixing aussies with Terriers and shelties.

If you are going to get a "mini" PLEASE rescue one. It's going to take you a long time to find a truly good breeder of them and when you find one you probably won't be able to get one for a couple of years (if you are willing to wait that long and look long and hard, then I have no problems with you going to a breeder).

As for how the are, they are supposed to be just like an aussie only smaller. Have you ever thought of just searching for an Aussie breeder (or rescue) and getting a small one? There are Aussies that are not marked as "minis" that are under 40 lbs. The person I got my Aussies from had a litter and one of the females only turned out to be 35lbs (and that is a litter from Pi who is 60lbs!). So, that is another option.

ETA: "Are they afraid of strangers? Or alot of other things? "

They aren't supposed to be scared of strangers, but at the same time they aren't usually a dog that is going to be greeting every person that comes in the house. Pi, he is shy when he first meets someone, after he gets to know you, he warms up. Another puppy I am showing is the same way... Chase, well he isn't a typical Aussie lol.

And, if you are going to get ANY type of aussie (small or otherwise) they need a job, period. Obedience, herding, agility, Rally, etc.

Edited by author Fri May 2, '08 4:48pm PST

[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 4:48pm PST 
Yeah, what happened to the border collie? shrug
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 6:18pm PST 
Hey there!

Sushi, your reasons for returning Clover to the shelter were, as you said:

"She whined alot, scratched at walls, doors, everything, jumped up, licked everything, chewed everything.

I decided to get a rescued adult. But I decide now to get a puppy, rescue or not. Because I have a hand in early training out of some or most or all of these things.

I know border collies are spastic, but I'm planning on doing agility..."

It sounds like Clover was being a typical, young, energetic border collie. It also sounds like you know they tend to be "spastic". These are behaviors that could have been resolved fairly easily through training - puppies and older dogs both need to be trained - and trust me, the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is SO wrong - all my fosters were very trainable, despite being older, recently neutered, abused, neglected, and a notoriously "difficult" breed.

But, you and your boyfriend decided her behaviors was not something you wanted to deal with - and trust me, the issues you lists - whining, chewing, scratching, etc - those are not "rescue dog issues", those are pretty much par for the course with any puppy, and in particular any puppy with with a very strong drive and a need for a TON of exercise. Will you be able to handle the same things with a puppy? They all do these things, and some are harder than others to train.

I am just worried because you have returned two dogs now. It sounds like you have a lot of work you need to address with Sushi's fear issues. I would work on those, and really get him to a confident state, before attempting to bring home another dog.

Lastly, border collies are not the only dogs that can do agility - just keep that in mind!

I know this might not be exactly what you want to hear, but I just gently suggest you be very honest with yourselves about what you are and are not willing to deal with at this point in your lives with another dog. I always had to give my foster dogs at LEAST 2 weeks before I felt ok with them - that first week or two was always awful, and I kept having to tell myself, "It does get better! It does get better!" Expecting a dog to be a perfect fit right away is asking alot - both of the dog, and of your family.

Good luck! wave
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 6:54pm PST 
I must be confused. Didn't you post this? agoraphobia

If that's you, I don't understand how that squares with wanting a dog "that likes walking, jogging, hiking, camping, fetch, possible agility."

I must be mistaken and have you confused with someone else.shrug

Sorry.little angel

Good Luck!wave
[notify]
Sushi

May be a fox

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 6:55pm PST 
Rudy, I gave Clover back to the foster.

And Kiona, you're right thats why it's hard to decide whether I want another shiba or a mini aussie!

I know those behaviors are typical of all puppies, and I know you can teach older dogs, you can always teach a dog.

The big factor in that was she was a 'big dog' at 45 or so lbs. It's different when your teaching a 10lb puppy to behave. Maybe thats just me, but I'm use to dogs 30lbs and under. Which is why I gave up the border collie, and aussie adventure, I just don't think I'm a big dog person.
MAS are just a few lbs bigger than my shiba will be at full grown.
(Oh yeah Clover RAN OVER sushi alot in the yard, she was really rough for him I'd rather have a dog his size because of this)

I wish I knew exactly how much energy these dogs have and how much exercise they need.
I'm not getting another pup until 5-7 months from now by the way. I decided to wait until Sushi had manners and was a little less fearful. smile
And until I'm out of grooming school

In the past couple weeks he has progressed huge amounts by the way.
I'm so proud of him smile
He learned to 'dance' today to hehe.
[notify]
Sushi

May be a fox

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 7:22pm PST 
I would consider an alaskan klee kai, I know that breed would fit in, but they are hard to get and expensive. frown
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 7:32pm PST 
Sushi,

Sorry, I do not understand when you say "it is different teaching a 10lb puppy to behave". I think that it depends on the individual dog as well as the trainer when it comes to "teaching a puppy to behave". I have seen many very tiny dogs that are poorly behaved. My Bosley is 100 pounds, very well behaved and he has been very easy to train. Dogs with a lot of drive (such as a BC or Aussie) may be easy to train but may exhibit bad behavior if not given enough exercise or 'brain work". If you are considering getting a new puppy, I would look for a breeder that temperment tests their puppies and will match the puppies to the owners. This way you can get a puppy that will be closer to the temperment you are looking for. Although you say you want a puppy that is active and will go for long hikes, it actually seems like you are looking for a very laid back puppy that will not get into any trouble and that will take direction (from you and Sushi) without any "backtalk".
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11