GO!

Kennel Cough from Vet office?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mojo

Barked: Fri Apr 25, '08 9:02pm PST 
I took Mojo to the vet for his checkup and shots last Friday. For some reason, the vet gave him the intranasal vaccine for Kennel Cough which he has never done. My dog is a lap dog, stays at home with Grandma and ignores other dogs. He's also not a sniffer on walks. On Tuesday he started wheezing. I'm taking him back to the vet tomorrow because I'm concerned about the wheezing/cough. Could the vet office have had a problem with kennel cough and automatically vaccinated him as a preventive measure? I thought it was odd and questioned what they were doing when I was there. Maybe it's coincidental...but is it standard procedure to administer the vaccine with the other annual vaccinations?? Can you GET kennel cough from the vaccine?
[notify]
Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Fri Apr 25, '08 10:40pm PST 
I had to specifically state that I didn't want the KC vaccine. Many vets give it with all the other annuals. I don't know whether you can catch KC from the vaccine - but I do know that giving the vaccine at the same time as exposure does nothing, the vaccine is not an immediate cure for any contact with the cough/sickness (it has to be administered a few days prior to it actually being "needed").

Edited to fix info.

Edited by author Fri Apr 25, '08 10:44pm PST

[notify]
Zeus

"Look at those- ears!"

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 2:16am PST 
Hi. Same thing happen to me. I got the intranasal vaccine, and that night I started exhibiting signs of KC. I did indeed have it and had to go on antibiotics. Not sure if it was from the vaccine. Vet said the incubation period if 3-5 days, and mommy had gotten me almost exactly 5 days before from a shelter. Vaccine won't prevent it in that matter, but it will help lessen the severity of it.
[notify]

Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 4:36am PST 
Kennel cough is routine in my world, as a dog walker. It certainly is possible you can catch things at the vet, just like humans can catch things at the hospital, but it is very rare for that to happen.

It is most likely that your pup is having a cough related to the vaccine, just like when we get the flu shot you can feel related symptoms for a day or two after the vaccine. Having the symptoms after a vaccine does not mean he has kennel cough, just that his immune system is kicking in to accept the vaccine and build the antibodies. Rarely does anything need to be done except wait for the symptoms to subside. Since KC is viral, not bacterial, antibiotics do not help them get better. Generally antibiotics are required if the particular dog is possibly at risk for secondary infections like pneumonia.

Kennel Cough Vaccine (bordetella) is usually only required for dogs who board, go to daycare or get groomed at a groomers etc. Cracker gets it because as a dogwalker's dog she is exposed to many other dogs.
Many vets offer it routinely as part of the annual vaccinations.
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 8:16am PST 
Storm gets out and about fairly often, so I have no problem with the bordatella vaccine. He, too, came down with full-blown KC after his very first vaccination.

After the second one, however, he was fine.
[notify]
Tallulah

I pretty much- will rule the- universe.

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 11:44am PST 
The vet didn't ask you before they did vaccines? I do kennel cough in case my babes need to be boarded or do obedience etc where it is required. And now of course with Tallulah and the groomers..

But I would expect to consult with the vet about it and have the chance to decline.

I doubt they did it because they thought your dog might catch kennel cough there, perhaps they are really pushing it because they have seen more dogs with it or just didnt look at your chart carefully and assumed you did it.
[notify]
Beau

Can i eat it

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 12:46pm PST 
it happens alot where the dog will get the vaccine and then a week later be back b/c they have come down with Kennal caugh i see this alot i work at a vet office i don't like the vaccine b/c it can cause the cough to happen plus it does not completely protect dogs from getting it i worked at a doggie daycare for many years that did not require the vaccine but made owners aware that it was possable that their dog could get kennal cough from being around the other dogs left it up to them whether they got vaccine or not i personally never give the vaccine and my dogs are always around other dogs the ones that have never had the vaccine have never had kennal cough but my dog Beau accidently got vaccinated for it last year and has had kennal cough twice
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 1:16pm PST 
Yes, they can get KC from the vaccine. It happens at a very high rate, actually. The reason people aren't made aware of it is kennel cough is not a big deal.

Kennel cough is not a big deal. way to go

Honestly, subjecting a dog to the hazards of a vaccine in order to prevent -- and sometimes cause -- what equates to just the common cold is a ridiculous concept.

Talk to your vet about not administering unplanned vaccines. Would you let your doctor vaccinate you or your child without your consent??
[notify]
molly

wiggle- wiggle- bum!!

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 1:27pm PST 
you can get it from the vaccine.

A immunisation vaccine is a injection of the disease... your dogs immune system will build antibodies against the disease that they injected...and they become 'immune' from that disease. Dogs usually do not get the disease from having a immunisation vaccine because it is only a very small amount of the disease they inject..most dogs immune system can handle and fight it off...maybe your dogs immune system was already a little low? you say he is a lap dog, this MAY be due to the fact that he isnt in direct contact with germs as much as say my dog would be (because she digs and sniffs). Or has he been ill recently?
[notify]
Mojo

Barked: Sun Apr 27, '08 9:57am PST 
Thanks for your responses. I called the vet and asked if the cough could be a side effect of the vaccination. They suggested it's possible but i should monitor his cough. They never asked me if I wanted the vaccine. I only questioned what they were doing when they were squeezing stuff in his nose. (I have no recollection of them every doing that in the 6 years I've had Mojo) The cough seems to be getting better...at least it's not worse. He eats, plays and is otherwise normal. He has had no other health issues in the past. I think from now on, I'll make it clear I'd rather he NOT receive it though. I've never had a flu shot in my life...and I've never had the flu. I think I'll keep it that way. No more unneccessary vaccinations for Mojo! hamster dance
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2