GO!

Just curious!!!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
{*}NaLa{*}- [loving.memo- ry]

You mean the cat- isn't a- high-tech toy??

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 7:45pm PST 
Hello. Im seriously considering feeding my dog raw. But I really am not sure. What are the benefits? What do I have to do?

I've seen a lot of people talking about ORGANS and gross stuff like that. Do I have to feed the dog that stuff??? Can I not just go to my local Wal*Mart or SAMS or etc. and get some like USDA approved ground beef, chicken, fish, etc????? Im sorry if I sound silly.

I really would love any advice I can get. I need to make a decision.thinking
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 7:56pm PST 
hi there... wave ... i think you can get organs in wal mart or an other store too ... dogs need organs too ! its important in feeding raw food.

if you want to feed your dog raw then you have to know that your dog need to eat

- bones
- organs
- mussle-meat
- fruits
- vegetable
- leaf salad

and some additionals like

- oil
- egg
- honey
- salt
- healing earth

and so on...

the best ist, you get a barf book at first and read all about you have to know way to gowishes
[notify]
Romeo

CD RE (CKC) CRS- RV (CARO) FDX- SJATD HIC

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 8:12pm PST 
Hey Nala,

Yes, you need organs. But you don't necessarily need fruits and veggies. If you feed a prey model raw, then the diet is basically 80% meat, 10% edible bone, and 10% organ. If you wanted to just feed the meat, then you would have to supplement heavily and that is often more difficult and easier to mess up than just feeding a naturally balanced diet.

A good place to start your research is this thread:
So you're interested in feeding raw ...
[notify]

The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 8:20pm PST 
well i odnt know whats going on with lillys post, but i have never heard of anyone adding salt to thier dogs diet, most people try to stay away from that...

most raw feeder on here i beleive feed a prey model diet, which is what romeo explained... yes you need to feed organs. To feed a raw diet, you have to get over the ick factor laugh out loud before i started feeding raw i didnt even like to touch raw meat, now i dont really have any ick things anymore smile

you will get used to it, and please check out the so your interested in feeding forum, its a great help!! and if you decide to feed raw and have any specific questions dont hesitate to ask smile
[notify]
Romeo

CD RE (CKC) CRS- RV (CARO) FDX- SJATD HIC

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 8:28pm PST 
Oh I didn't notice the mention of salt! Yeah, don't do that. Raw meat already has plenty of natural Sodium on its own.
[notify]
ORSON the- DOGGE

if i had thumbs,- i'd rule the- world!

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 8:52pm PST 
Lilly...
what's "healing earth"? Dirt? shrug
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 11:18pm PST 
I think Lily doesn't know the English words for what she's trying to say. Maybe "Healing Earth" is diatomaceous earth?
[notify]
Penny

happy girl

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 5:52am PST 
Yeah, probably means D.E.

I would recomend reading Tom Lonsdale books over BARF books - I am new to this but I have done TONS of research and, imho I feel like all that BARF stuff is fine if you want to spend forever preparing food but not necessary.

Funny thing is that Lonsdale HATES the term prey model... whatever you call it or decide to feed it is better than a diet of corn (kibble).

I am not a holy follower though. My dog has no allergies (that I am aware of yet) and I let her eat crappy snacks - like fake bacon strips and other dog treats because she likes them. She gets table scraps - occasionally steals fruit snacks from my kids and all that. She has an Iron stomach - if she was fat and allergy prone or puked alot I would be different though... (I look at the snacks like human eating desserts - no they aren't nutritionally sound but desserts sure make me happy)
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 7:25am PST 
hey you... sorry that I'm confusing you so much... laugh out loud I don't mean diatomaceous earth. my translator says it is healing earth. I just know it from germany. http://www.eco-world.de/service/main/archiv/418/heilerde.jpg ...this is healing earth, she contains important minerals and trace elements. I never saw healing earth here in canada, but in gemany gives a lot of them. maybe you'll find it in a health food store... shrug

salt is important for dogs too, if you can't feed blood. in blood is a lot of salt. if you can't give your dog blood, then you have to give them 1-2 times a week untreated sea salt.

for the health of your dogs is this essential... unless you feed blood !
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 10:17am PST 
Perhaps you mean montmorillonite clay? thinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2