GO!

Barking, does ultrasound work????

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Whiskey Jack

Moo Cow

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 6:23pm PST 
I have 3 dogs. 2 Poms and 1 Pointer. The Poms never used to do much barking, but now we have a neighbor dog that barks at them when they are out so now they bark back. The Pointer is starting to bark when a different dog is out.....they race the fence line and communicate.

Then all 3 will bark when they here the garage door open when we get home.

I have been looking at getting a stop barking aid. I have heard that bark collars work, but with three dogs that isn't cheap. I also heard that some can be sensitive and if a dog close to the one wearing the collar barks it will go off. Lastly, my Poms are small and most collars, even for small dogs may be too much for my smallest one. I also don't like the idea of the collar.

Does anyone know if the ultrasonic bark controlers work? I have found 3. One you can carry with you, one for in the home and one shaped like a bird house to keep outside.

Any advice or experience?dogdogdog
[notify]
Zeppelin CGN

Mellow is the- path to- happiness

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 5:54am PST 
I've never heard of those, but maybe someone else can help you! Good luck!
[notify]
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 7:01am PST 
Citronella collars work well, but they're not cheap.
[notify]

Oliver

Mommys lil boop- boop guy!

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 7:17am PST 
A friend of mine swears by these devices... He found one on the Dr Fosters and Smith website and he said it has really helped tremendously cut down on his dogs non stop barking. He then found one on Ebay that was even a little cheaper but the range went 50 feet- he said that was the way to go because they have a neighbor dog that lives outside (sad) and that its helped stop his barking too.. Ive been thinking about getting one too- my furkids barking has been out of control lately!

Good luck smile
[notify]
Zeppelin CGN

Mellow is the- path to- happiness

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 12:38pm PST 
how do they work?thinking
[notify]
Mandy and - Casey

2PUPPIES 2x the- work 4x the fun

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 12:51pm PST 
We had one ultrasonic one and it didn't work for our terrier pup that would not stop barking so we had to go with citranella that worked like a charm.
Now that said it had been open and brought back so wonder if it just didn't work period.

I also tried one that was a coller that screamed when dog barked but it went off everytime she ran it was horrible.

I would give the new bird house design one a try and if it doesn't work they will take it back at petsmart anyways, newest design out.
[notify]
Heidi

Love chasing my- tail that I do- not have

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 1:14pm PST 
Hello
We just got Heidi in Dec. (Congi) We really love her alot but her barking is getting to us & the neighbors. Please help us out. What can we do to get her to stop the barking all the time? We do want her to bark when someone is at the door, but not at the person getting in the car & leaving next door or across the street.
Thank you for any help that anyone can give us.
[notify]
Mister- Jagger

YIP YAP I love- Rock and Roll!

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 6:15pm PST 
hey Heidi! You might try searching on the forums search "barking" or "constant barking" and you'll find some great types. Essentially if you can teach "Bark" or even better "Quiet", things will be a lot easier. Good luck! way to go
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 6:43pm PST 
We tried the ultrasonic device on Snowy to train him not to bark (living in an apt, we figured nuisance control has to be one of our biggest priorities). It works as long as your dog is close to the device. Otherwise, your dog will continue to bark at a room far away from the device.

What worked the best for us ultimately though is us correcting him and telling him to be quiet when he started barking. Now he only barks when necessary (like ... say a UPS man knocking on the door) shrug Well, at least he won't exactly play bark or bark for no reason.
[notify]