GO!

Flying with a dog

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Cocoa

Small but mighty

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 5:37pm PST 
Hi all, I might be flying Northwest latter this summer with Cocoa,she is about 10 pounds. I have checked online for their pet carrier sizes, so that is not a problem, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with traveling with their dog. Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 6:21pm PST 
I went to England last summer. I had never flown before and it 's a nine hour flight to the UK. Mom and I took a trial run to Portland, OR to see how I would do. I was fine.

The best advice is to talk to your vet and follow their recommendations about giving food and water. You might also ask about something for anxiety if things like thunder bothers you. Nothing bothers me so I didn't take anything. I found the vibrations of the plane relaxing. I slept most of the way. Taking a late flight probably helped, too. Flying in business was a huge bonus; they gave us four seats! I'm a pretty big guy and mom was able to relax about my paws being in the way of the food cart!

Have a wonderful and safe trip.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 6:22pm PST 
Get her use to the carrier well before the flight. Decide on a collar/leash combo with little or no metal as you will have to take her out of the carrier and send it through the x-ray machine while you two go through the metal detector.

You will want to take copies of her shot records (just in case she needs to see a vet). Try to book a flight without a long layover since most airports don't have dog potty facilities behind the security line. If she will use piddle pads, take a couple with you. Keep in mind that the only dogs allowed to walk around inside the airport are Service Dogs and working dogs (police/TSA); all other animals must stay in their carriers.

Scooter and I have logged quite a few air miles over the last couple of years. I don't think he's ever realized he was up in the air; it is just a larger noisy version of a car or bus.
[notify]

Shadowood- Zoe

Don't hate me- because I'm- beautiful...

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 9:16pm PST 
All great advice. I'm a seasoned traveler since mommy works for the airline! She always packs some peanut butter because my ears get plugged up during take off and landing. She gives it to me so I will smack my lips and thus pop my ears!

I am crate trained so being in a crate doesn't bother me. She ususally likes to put a tea towel inside that she rubbed through her hair so I have her scent near me. That way if something does scare me, I can feel reassured.
[notify]
Bootsy

Foot loose and- fancy free!

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '08 8:15pm PST 
Me and my mom will be flying for the first time later this month. I am a wonderful traveler so I think this should be fun for me. The peanut butter is a GREAT idea! We will have to be sure to be there EXTRA early as to not have any problems getting to where we are headed....does anyone else have any tricks to make flying easier on pups?
[notify]
Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Sat Mar 15, '08 5:46am PST 
Both my dogs have flown.

My advice is to definately look into what airline to use in advance. See what their policy is for pets traveling cabin. The biggest thing you have to worry about is weight limit and size restriction of the carrier.

It would be best to go with a soft sided carrier, but not all are safe for airline travel. You need one that is secure and that the dog can't open themselves from inside. I used Sherpa dog carriers for travel.

I put a potty pad on the bottom (carried an extra in my bag in case) and added some cushioning. This way should there be a mistake made, I can clean it up and reline the carrier. Get them used to the carrier in advance too. I use my soft sided carriers as car travel seats so they know it is comfortable and love it.

I did put some small toys and carried some treats with me. I snuck one in every so often. They say your dog must stay in the bag at all times, but I have heard of people taking them out. I rather not risk the privelege of cabin air travel.

Oh, book appointment in advance. Each airline has a limit to how many dogs are allowed in cabin per flight. Also, if you book in advance you can pick your seats better instead of just getting left overs.

Take a seat away from the engine. I chose a seat as close to the front as possible so I can get off the plane sooner. I didn't want an isle seat which passer byers might accidentally kick or spook my dog with their constant passing.

Both my pups handled the flight well and people didn't know they were there. I hope your pup does well.

EDIT: You will have to pass security where your carry on goes through the scanner. Do NOT send your dog in carrier through the x-ray machine. Take your pup out and walk through the metal detector and send the carrier through the x-ray machine.

Another thing I forgot about is getting a health certificate 10 days before flying. Although I was never asked for it I had it just in case.

Edited by author Sat Mar 15, '08 5:48am PST

[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Mar 15, '08 7:58am PST 
Goofball made a good point that I'd like to expound upon.

The seats near the engines are noisier (and vibrate more). I've found that sitting behind the engines can occasionally give you a whiff (or more) of exhaust or jet fuel. I wouldn't want to subject my boy to that. I'm not sure how heavy it gets towards the floor, but I just wouldn't want to take the chance.

And again, be prepared to strip the dog down to make it through security. The less metal on the dog the better.
[notify]
Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Sat Mar 15, '08 4:52pm PST 
One more suggestion.

Microchip in advance.
[notify]
Shadowood- Zoe

Don't hate me- because I'm- beautiful...

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 9:15am PST 
My mommy loves those roller type carriers. It makes zipping around the airport so much easier for her. Something like this one
http://www.grooming-pet-supplies.com/bc2-1563/petsupplies/item.htm l?utm_source=NexTag&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=bc2-1563

Arrive at the airport early so your dog can calm down with all the strange noises. You don't want to stress when you arrive cause your dog will feel that stress as well and wonder why your so stressed!

Let the flight attendants know you have a dog as well as your seat mate. This way it wont surprise anyone. You can request ice cubes for your dog. That's a less messy way of giving water. Although you are tempted to "reassure" your dog throughout the flight, your probably better off if you leave him alone to manage his fears. If he thinks your nervous than he will be extra nervous. Stay calm. That's the best.
[notify]
♥Muff- in♥

Don't eat me I'm- too cute!

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 10:44am PST 
All of this advise is GREAT!! Mommy and I are flying for the fist time this summer together!! Mommy has flown before but not me!! I really ♥ the peanut butter trick! Mommy has been looking for advise about my ears getting plugged and now the problem is solved!! Woohoo!!wave
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3