GO!

Zoomies ...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Romeo

CD RE (CKC) CRS- RV (CARO) FDX- SJATD HIC

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 8:21am PST 
As I sit here watching the fluffy little Zoomie King make his daily frantic laps around the room, tearing up the bed, and snapping at Gio at each pass, I found myself wondering ... What exactly are zoomies? Why do some dogs seem to so completely enjoy them? Why do only some dogs have zoomies? Where did the behaviour come from?

I've had 3 Shelties in my life. Two, I found out actually quite recently, are from the same kennel. The breeder of my first Sheltie is the breeder of Romeo's dam. Those two Shelties had huge bouts of Zoomie Fever. Gio, on the other hand, doesn't have zoomies, but rather expresses his excitement vocally by barking and spinning. So is there a genetic component to why some dogs will have zoomies and others won't? Are some breeds more prone to having zoomies than others? I know I have heard of/seen dogs of many breeds having zoomies, but are there some breeds where they are quite uncommon? And even more interesting ... do wild canids have zoomies, or is this another one of those purely "dog" characteristics?

Any ideas? Stories? Theories? Or better yet, has anyone come across any research behind zoomies?

snoopy
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 8:46am PST 
Interesting observation! I have never thought about "the zoomies" too much before. Maggie used to get the "zoomies" all the time when she was a puppy and she still "zooms" around now (she will be 3 next week) when she gets really excited. Bolsey has never had the "zoomies", but his whole personality is much more serious than Maggie's.
[notify]
Nick, CGC, WETX

I like wet, fowl- smelling things

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 9:55am PST 
We call it "psycho puppy" but it's the same as zoomies. Both Nick and Duke do it.

Duke does it inside the house only which is fine since he is a 6 lb toy poodle. Nick does it outside the house only - which is super fine since he is the size of a small freight train.

He will do it in the backyard, on a neighbor's front lawn during a walk, etc. In Nick's case it is definitely an invitation to play. If I don't take him up on the invitation he launches himself at me. I guess that's in case I didn't notice himlaugh out loud

Edited by author Sat Feb 9, '08 9:56am PST

[notify]

Herky (May- 17, 2007 - June 8,

Sweet Angel Pup,- Gone too Soon :(

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 12:28pm PST 
I get zoomies like crazy! Sometimes mom just directs my zoomies to a bit more controlled manner by having me chase the laser pointer. I love that! My brother Kinnick doesn't really get the zoomies, but when he gets excited he jumps up and down (not on people, just out in the space away from them).
[notify]
Zoe

I Bark,- Therefore I Am

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 1:05pm PST 
I do, I do, I do! I love to do zoomies up the hall and then I bounce off the back of the couch and do another lap! It's fun!applause
Drover never does zoomies and we are both mini Schnauzers.
In fact Mom doesn't remember any other dog doing zoomies. Perhaps a beagle she once had. He would go around and around the yard flying off the deck.
Good questions, Romeo!
[notify]
Rudy

Rudy sin- barreras

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 2:06pm PST 
Both our goldens did/do this. Actually when I was a very young child, we had a huge yard and my dog was 'zooming' (i didnt know this term until Dogster, we used to call it "super speed run" laugh out loud ) and hit my knees. I went flying into the air. It was pretty funny.

Rudy does it when he's too excited to contain himself or he gets worked up. The hair on his back stands up and he'll growl and do baby woofs while running in circles. It's way too funny.

I too would be interested in knowing if this is simply a dog trait. I would assume so since it doesnt seem like wolves would have enough time to build up all that excitement to release it.
[notify]
Zeppelin CGN

Mellow is the- path to- happiness

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 3:57pm PST 
I wonder what the scientific term would be for "zoomies"... thinking It's kinda hard to look for research or documentation when you don't know what the behaviour is really called! BOL
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 5:59pm PST 
ZOOMIES!!!!! I get them at some point every day!! Usually when mom and dad start talking about something really exciting to me like a walk or going to Grandmas!! I run around in circles so fast and usually have my butt really low to the ground, mom wonders how I can move my legs!!! laugh out loud Its really a sight to see!! I sometimes will even make my hair stand up when I get really into it! wink
[notify]
Kipper

*hiccup/burp*

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 8:17pm PST 
Barkley has both, Zoomies!! And barking fits when hyper!!
[notify]
Shadow

Cat Corraler

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 8:36pm PST 
Shadow is a zoomie fanatic, and I have a dirt path in my backyard to prove it! laugh out loud We also have a "Path of Destruction" around our couch, that desperately needs a 'caution high velocity dog' warning sign, so poor zoomie-less Daisy can live without fear, and visitors won't be trampled. Bol! Though why zoomies happen, I am not sure…

Edited by author Sat Feb 9, '08 8:37pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6