GO!

Puppies eating Fruits and Vegetables?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Missy

I'm Sassy but- Classy!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 8:43am PST 
Missy eats at dinner a plate that has a combination of Canine plus puppy formula kibble and a bit of wellness moist food mixed (the moist depends on what can is opened) but I'm discovering that she likes fruits and vegetables.

So far she's shown a liking to strawberries, bananas, carrots and a bit of mashed potato.

My father is of the belief that puppies will try everything, but while I make sure she doesnt "OD" on the new tastes, I was just curious .. is there any fruits or vegetables that are harmful to puppies? shrug
[notify]
Joey

50% Rugged Farm- Dog 50% Couch- Pooch

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 8:55am PST 
Do not feed avacados, grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, or raw potatoes. All of these are toxic to dogs.

Fruits and vegetables have no benefit in a dog's diet unless they are pureed or steamed. Dogs are carnivores designed to live off a diet of meat, cartilage, tendons, bones, organs, and tissues of other animals. So, their stomachs cannot digest or break down the cellulose that is found in all plant matter. If the dog can't break down the celluslose, it can't get to the nutrients inside of the vegetable, so the veggie/fruit just "passes" through the system undigested and come out looking exactly how it came in. Steaming veggies or mushing them up helps break down the cellulose before it reaches the dog's stomach so the dog can then break down the small amount of cellulose that is left to get the vitamins, DNA, and mineral content of the plant.

Good veggies to give are carrots, kale, cabbage, beets, green beans, peas, celery, and broccoli. Good fruits are apples, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and mango. Remove all pits and seeds from any fruit before offering.

dog
[notify]
Maya

PaperQueen

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 8:56am PST 
Everything I've read says you can give them any veggie. But usually there is at least one type that you can't give an animal. I'm curious to see if anyone knows any! I do know that carrots are a very good treat for your dog. As long as they chew it up good, giving them pieces of carrot (size the pieces according to your dog ) can be very good for their teeth, cause it gets a the plaque and junk off and makes them sparkly!! I give maya peas and carrot and sometimes a bit of apple. It makes for really good training treats!
[notify]

Maya

PaperQueen

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 8:56am PST 
Everything I've read says you can give them any veggie. But usually there is at least one type that you can't give an animal. I'm curious to see if anyone knows any! I do know that carrots are a very good treat for your dog. As long as they chew it up good, giving them pieces of carrot (size the pieces according to your dog ) can be very good for their teeth, cause it gets a the plaque and junk off and makes them sparkly!! I give maya peas and carrot and sometimes a bit of apple. It makes for really good training treats!
[notify]
Missy

I'm Sassy but- Classy!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 10:25am PST 
Thank you Maya way to go

Joey I am aware of the fact that Dogs are carnivores. However Missy enjoys the smell and the taste of the small *teasers* that I let her have of the F&V's, so as long as she enjoys them and continues to eat her meat/dry food meals with no problem, I do not see the problem with letting her taste new healthy things as an addition to her diet, but I came to ask what isn't good in terms of those things to make sure that I don't poison my 11 week old dog with something unnecessary.
[notify]
Coco

Mommy's adorable- shadow

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 10:26am PST 
I also know that onions are toxic to dogs and cause anemia. So becareful about that!
[notify]
Missy

I'm Sassy but- Classy!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 10:41am PST 
That was the first thing I told my family about, don't let her near onions (which is hard because my dad makes dishes with onions almost every other day)

My dad scooped her up and let her smell them cooking and told her to stay away from them. The way she backed away from him left him in no doubt that she'd heard him loud and clear laugh out loud
[notify]
Stitch

Proud to be a- MOMMA'S BOY

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 12:32pm PST 
Did I hear someone say BANANA"S?
Hi little pupperwave Theses wise dogsters have given some great suggestions and advice.

If you jump into some of the "home prepared food and recipes" forums, you will be fabulously surprised at how many of us eat fruits and veggies in every meal and equal about 50% of our diets. Many of the premium kibbles today are using veggies and fruits to enhance the quality of their food.
For the Dogsters that have chosen home prepared, we just believe straight from the garden is even better. Home prepared is not for everyone of course, but it's great for every pawrent to have some ideas of yummy healthy treats. Especially for a pup like you that thinks fruits and veggies are YUMMY YUMMY puppy

P.S. They may be fun and crunchy, but carrots have 0 value to us when raw and will come out the same way they went in. If you like the taste of carrot have mom steam or bake. Once they are in a broken down state , we can digest and absorb. wink

HAPPY CRUNCHING LITTLE PUPPER!!!!snoopy
[notify]
Missy

I'm Sassy but- Classy!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 12:42pm PST 
Well hello there big pupper!! wave

Yup I likes me some banana and if it's in my Mama's strawberry banana blizzard, so much the better. But I'll take it in the morning with my bit of yogurt too. I'm really not picky dancing

But I think I shall direct my mama to read that forum as well. She's a first timer with a puppy of her own, we need to indoctrinate her properly y'know? big laugh
[notify]
Annabelle- Lee- Atik-Gruszec- ki

Chewing things- is what I like- to do. Yes

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 2:54pm PST 
I loves me some carrots and bananas, (in moderation, depending on how my tummy feels), but I'll NEVER eat onions or raisins because they are really bad for me
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3