GO!

too much peanut butter??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Willy Moo

Pimpin ain't- easy

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '08 6:51am PST 
hi everyone,

Willy loves peanut butter. its his favorite snack. when you open the jar he starts smacking his lips.

how much peanut butter per day is ok for a dog?
since we have to leave him at home for a long period every day i have been stuffing his kong chock full of peanut butter and freezing it so he can work on it while we are gone.

i have noticed the past few days he has had some "pooping issues"

at first it takes him a long time before the poo comes out and then sometimes there are some....umm....hangers on his bum and then he freaks out running around and squatting trying to get them off and rubbing his bum on the snow. then he poops more. last night he also had a tiny bit of diarreah (sp?)

his diet has not changed except we now give him that peanut butter everyday. is he getting too much fatty oil in his diet? he is a skinny dog but we've only had him for about a month.

the only other thing i can think of is we bought him a big rawhide bone when we got him before we knew that rawhide isnt the best thing to give a dog. he carried it around alot but never ate it. then one night he devoured the entire thing while we were sleeping. it was like a foot long and about an inch and a half thick. eek

ive been told rawhide is not really digestible. this was about a week and a half ago. would that give him pooping problems or is it just a normal thing like people sometimes you got issues and they just go away naturally laugh out loud
[notify]
Marlowe, CGC

BAH-ROO-ROO-ROOO- OO!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '08 6:55am PST 
Peanut butter is really high in fat. It's a "good" kind of fat, but there's still such a thing as too much of a good thing. I wouldn't feed more than a couple tablespoons a day.

If he loves peanut butter, why not try mixing peanut butter with some of his normal daily food and stuffing that in a Kong and freezing it? That's what we do. We mix kibble with either peanut butter or plain yogurt and freeze, and they get that instead of a regular meal from a bowl.
[notify]
Zeppelin CGN

Mellow is the- path to- happiness

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '08 2:27pm PST 
wave Marlowe! I meant to ask this: do you diminish the daily kibble serving on days your doggies get Kongs?
Willie Moo, do you use Organic Peanut Butter? (ingredients = peanuts. nothing else). If you are giving a lot of pb it would be best that it's organic. I mix tons of stuff in the Kong, including PB, baby food (no onions), kibble, plain yogourt, canned food, etc etc. That way, it's not too much of one thing.

Edited by author Fri Jan 25, '08 2:27pm PST

[notify]

Marlowe, CGC

BAH-ROO-ROO-ROOO- OO!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '08 9:34pm PST 
I actually feed entire meals out of puzzle toys much of the time. Who needs a bowl when you've got a Kong?
[notify]
Kevin

I think I'm a- real boy!

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '08 5:32pm PST 
Kevin only gets peanut butter if I need to give him a pill. I hide the pill inside a spoonful of peanut butter...works like a charm.

Kevin loves peanut butter too, but we're very careful not to give him people food that often.
[notify]
Pogo

Antipodean Fuzz- Butt

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '08 7:04pm PST 
I give Pogo Kraft lite peanut butter, maybe three quarters of a tablespoon full, in her kong every day when I go to work. That's all she gets on a daily basis unless she needs to have her worming tablet, and then I crush that up and mix it in a little peanut butter. Don't want to give her too much of it, although she would love to have the entire jar!
[notify]
C. J., MS

Where's my- Aerobie?

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '08 9:09pm PST 
Does anyone in your family have long hair? His gnawing at the kong with pb in it, rolling across the floor, etc. could easily pick up whatever is lying in the environment. All it takes is the ingestion of one long-hair/-thread to cause a dingleberry....

We have longhairs in our household and dingleberries happen regularlyred face
[notify]