GO!

Ringworm....Help!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Roxy Booch

If its on the- floor I'll chew- it up!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '08 9:21am PST 
Our poor baby Roxy has a ringworm near her nose. Its a perfect circle, the size of a quarter with a pinkish ring. What can I do for her here at home? Is it contagious? I run a home daycare plus i have 4 children so i'm getting really nervous. the vet can't see her till wednesday. Please if you know anything, let me know ...
Thank you
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '08 10:11am PST 
it is contagious to humans. i dont know how to deal with it on dogs... especially if its by her nose where she can lick anti fungal cream off.... shrug but i was told that on people you can put like clear nail polish over the circle and it kills it cuz it cant breath??? I really dont know, ive never had it... just what i heard. id keep her quaratined till the vet trip though
[notify]
Newman

If my snoring- bothers you wear- earplugs

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '08 10:57am PST 
I would take her into a vet because it might be a staph infection. Newmie is getting over one now and he is on antibiotics for about a month. The sores look very alike. GL.
[notify]

Loki

Mischevious- Laughing Loki

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '08 2:07pm PST 
I recently read a post on a blog I follow that talks about home remedies for ringworm. Basically, terrierman suggests using regular ol' athletes foot spray or powder several times a day until the fungus gets cleared up.

Here's the link: Ring-worm and toe fungus among us!
[notify]
Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 9:01am PST 
HIGHLY contagious!
I run a rescue and had ringworm last year.
There were 5 dogs in my house, they all got it, plus me and my niece and most of the girls at my vet.
You need to confine the dog ASAP until you can get to your vet.
They will probably check it under a "woods lamp" and want to do a fungal culture too.
In our case we used oral meds plus lime sulfer dips, and on a few used antifungal cream.
It is a big pain to deal with because the spores fly around.
[notify]
Roxy Booch

If its on the- floor I'll chew- it up!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 10:17am PST 
Thanks everyone who posted. I've been putting medicine on her 2-3 times a day and it is actually clearing up.! Thank you
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 2:57pm PST 
I know all too well about ringworm! It's awful! And like everyone has said, very contagious. Every animal and person will most likely end up getting it if they have contact w/the pet. My suggestion to you would be to use a high concentration antifungal medicine and the best is a vaginal cream to treat yeast infections. Even after dipping a pet, the cream proved to work the best on pets and humans. Apply religiously and make sure not to cover the spot b/c it will take longer to heal. Also, make sure you do confine the pet and clean that area thoroughly as the fungus can live in carpet, fabrics, etc. Don't fret, it's annoying, but it will go away!! Goodluck!
[notify]