GO!

wellness puppy vs. Innova puppy?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Henry

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 12:22pm PST 
My vet recommended the two, and I'm currently on Wellness puppy (soon to finish my first bag) It seems good - athough, I still eat three times a day (while following recommending daily amount) and sometimes in the morning and at night I lose interest mid way through my bowl. I also can be a little stinky from time to time!
Should I consider switching to innova puppy? It's time for mom to buy some more food...any thoughts?
[notify]
Tucker

Me too!!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 7:05pm PST 
I was just wondering that a few weeks ago and asked at the store and they said I could rotate. Recommend just picking one and next time try the other.
[notify]
Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Why sit when you- could lie down?

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 7:24pm PST 
I feed Kodi Innova Large Breed Puppy. Its a great food but there will be gas. Terrible, peel the paint off the wall gas as well as make you gag stinky poop. The up side is most of it goes away after about three weeks.

Most dogs have gas and stinky poop when you switch foods as their system adjusts. The vet said it can take up to three weeks for their system to fully adjust. Which is why it is not always best to change foods every month.
It might just be than he does not like the food as much as you would hope. You can try adding tasty stuff (Kodi likes the $0.40 cans of potted meat) or you can try getting a sample of the Innova.

My sisters dog hated most kibbles but scarfs the Innova. Also, the same company that make Innova makes another brand (I want to say California Natural but am not sure) that only has one protein and one carb source that my local feed store (only place I can get Innova) recommended to help with the gas.

Try dogfoodanalysis.com for some scientific like information.
[notify]

Kuma

Desperately cute- & stinky!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 9:53pm PST 
Hi Henry wave
Kuma used to eat Innova puppy mixed with a spoonful of canned Merrick and a spoonful of cottage cheese. He seemed to have liked that mixture. Now he eats grain-free kibbles by themselves.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 10:24pm PST 
What about feeding twice a day instead of three times. That way there is plenty of time to get hungry before meals and perhaps he won't lose interest. I say try the innova puppy too.
[notify]
Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 10:48pm PST 
Kuma,

Lately Kodi has been ignoring the merrick that he used to love. Have you had this problem yet/before?

Has anybody had their dog go picky on them suddenly?
[notify]
Kuma

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 11:25pm PST 
Kodi (btw, luv ur name),
I'm not sure if Kuma got tired of the canned Merrick or if I was feeding him too much food, but I did notice that he would skip more meals. I decided to change his food to EVO, when he was 10 months old and he had stopped growing. Now, he gets a rotation of kibbles and he seems to like the grain-free ones without any canned food.
[notify]
Henry

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 8:08am PST 
Thanks all! I just went for it and bought the Innova Puppy yesterday. I mixed it in with some of his remaining Wellness for dinner, and all went well. Athough this morning he wasn't too hungry. It may be that I'm just giving him too much. I noticed the recommended serving size for Innova was a half cup less than Wellness!
[notify]
Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 2:24pm PST 
Thanks Kuma - My mom named him Kodi when I first got him and he could seem to shake the name. I decided to spell it different cause it seemed more japanese (he's part akita) and cause Cody is supposedly the fifth most common dog name.

As for serving amounts on Innova. I feed Kodi 3-4 cups a day (in two meals). Since he is 65lbs and 8 months old, according to the badg that is not enough food. He wont eat any more than that on a regular basis. If he eats it all I give him more. I hate to waste such expensive kibble if I dont have too.

My advice is to add or subtract a small amount until you find an amount your dog eats consistantly. I find that weighing him every couple of weeks helps to figure out how much to add or subtract as well. Depending on whether your dog is growing or maintaining.
[notify]
Kuma

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 3:54pm PST 
Henry,
Griffs tend to skip meals once in a while. As long as he is maintaining his weight, you don't have to worry about the inconsistent eating habits. I've gotten used to Kuma's eating habits. Sometimes he eats, sometimes he doesn't. The advantage that he prefers kibbles only is that if he doesn't finish, I save it for later. I noticed with grain-free food, Kuma may eat as little as 1/4 cup a day, somedays. I usually try to give him a little more than that, but he will only eat until he is full. The vet says that his weight is healthy for his size and build. shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2