GO!

When can I go outside!?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Harley D.- Junior

Surprise IM- HERE!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '08 12:25pm PST 
I am 4 weeks old now & running around like a maniac. Mommy wants to take me outside w/ da others but she is scared. Can I go out yet!?
[notify]
Misty

Misty "Moo Cow"

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '08 4:41pm PST 
Hmmm, tough question, but I would recommend that you don't. Especially if it's cold where you're at. Only because, if it's not cold, you don't want her/him to pick up any ticks or fleas and then you have to be careful of poop in the yard, she/he can get worms just from that, if there are any. Since most puppies aren't even adopted or allowed to go home before 6wks., at 4wks, I would say no. You could always call your vet and ask, they would be able to say for sure if there are any dangers. Your pup is precious! I didn't look into your profile, before writing, so I'll have to now so I can get a better looksy! Good Luck!
[notify]
Mister- Jagger

YIP YAP I love- Rock and Roll!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 12:39pm PST 
Yeah I agree that you really shouldn't just yet. I read that you should keep your dog in as much as possible until they have had their shots, although that's not always possible... But as the other poster said, the pup can pick up bugs or diseases from poop or anything rotten, so it's not really a good idea for now...
Oh and you are soooo cute!! laugh out loud
[notify]

ღAva

It wasn't me who- stole your- socks!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 1:46pm PST 
I am almost 4 months old and only allowed out on the drive way and cant go on the grass, the vet said I have to wait until my shots are finished, so another 3 weeks I am limited to the driveway! Better to be safe than sorry, your so young still I would wait just a bit longer wink
[notify]
Baxter

Leaving a wake- of smiles

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 4:28pm PST 
Your four month old puppy hadn't played outside yet? Are their other dogs in the house? I'd be worried about socialization.

I let Baxter in the yard at my condo to play at 8-10 weeks and he was allowed to play with a few dogs that I knew to be up to date on shots and disease free. At 15 weeks, he finished his shots and was allowed to walk downtown and meet other dogs.

Puppies need to be introduced to different people and dogs when they're young. It's good to be cautious, but you have to let them explore and experience new things so they don't go nuts when something new comes across their path in the future.
[notify]
Ranger

Happy birthday- to me!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 6:29pm PST 
I'm kind of with Baxter on this one. As long as your puppy is being supervised, he can go outside and romp with his mama for a little bit (depending on the weather, of course).
I think going outside and being exposed to novel objects and experiences is VERY important. Ranger was born during a very cold winter and didn't get to go outside much (if ever) before he came home with me, and it took him a while to get used to new situations. He screamed the first time he saw a kid's bucket in the yard! Housebreaking took a long time, too, since he'd never done that outside either.
I'd only be worried about diseases or parasites in a public area where a lot of other dogs or animals go (like a park, particularly dog parks), and of course you'd watch to make sure he didn't get in to anything he shouldn't.
[notify]
ღAva

It wasn't me who- stole your- socks!

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 9:16am PST 
Ava has 3 siblings to play with and she does go outside, she just does not go in the yard I am very cautious and maybe overly, but I will not put her in any kind of situation that could Jeprodise her health or her life! She only has3 more weeks to go until her shots are done, then its off to the dog park!!

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '08 9:22am PST

[notify]
Maggie

I'm still a- baby.. right?

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 9:34am PST 
Baxter, I think it depends on when you get your dog. I adopted Maggie at 11 weeks. She had no shots before that so she was 4 months before she was completely done. Mind you she had 4 dogs to play with on a regular basis that were vaccinated and healthy... one being her brother. But had I not had access to other dogs for her to play with, I wouldn't have chanced it either.
[notify]
Jazz

If it squeaks I- want it!!!

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 2:14pm PST 
I actually had the same question, we just adopted a rescued puppy, she is about 10 weeks old, had a round shots, still has another one at the end of the month and she will be fixed as well.
I do take her out for little walks in the back of the house, we tried taking her just around the block but she is scared, so we stick to our backyard, I can’t not take her because we trying to housetrain her and she is doing good, she might have like 1 accident a day but I’m so proud of her she is only been here for like 3 days and only 10 weeks old. Am I wrong by doing that???
shrug
[notify]
Baxter

BAXTER THE GREAT

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 6:38pm PST 
Hey Jazz, my mommy brought me home when I was 7 weeks old! She did NOT want to paper train me b/c she didnt want me to go potty in da house AT ALL. You can go outside, just stay away from other puppies. Find maybe one specific spot that you want to be the "potty spot" be consistant w/ goin there & you will be trained in no time. Save the long walks for after all da shots been givin to ya though....better safe than sorry. I wasnt allowed to play w/ other dogs till I was almost 6 months old. I was very well socialized & I love to play w/ other puppies!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3