GO!

"Operation Aborted" Problem on IE

This forum is for Dogster members to seek and share advice to enhance participation and make the most of the features offered on the site. If you need assistance with your Dogster account, or require technical support, please contact Dogster Support directly by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster. Additional help is available at FAQs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
The Country- Cousins @- Twinbill

Ah, the country- life!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '08 8:16am PST 
This is about what causes the "operation aborted" problem that happens on Internet Explorer (IE) and how to fix it if it happens on your page.

It is caused by the way certain sites write their embedded code for us to put on our pages. Long story, but the short version is there is an organization (World Wide Web Consortium - W3C) trying to make standards for html and css coding. Microsoft feels they should be the ones making the standards, so they don't always follow the rules of W3C.

The term "embed" is suppose to be going away someday and replaced by the term "object". To get around widgets breaking because an new updated browser may no longer support EMBED, some sites are putting EMBED inside of OBJECT. IE doesn't play nice with this and causes other widgets and CSS code to misfire.

I haven't found any signs of EMBED going away in any future versions of any browser, so here is a way to fix the problem of IE not always working properly. I am using code for a music player from Imeem.com as an example.

Change this ...

<object width="0" height="80"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/3CPO9vtLS5G"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/3CPO9vtLS5G" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="0" height="80" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

To this ...

<embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/3CPO9vtLS5G" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="80" wmode="transparent"></embed>

That should fix the IE problem. By the way, you may have noticed I set the width back to the original 300. That is because the music will not play correctly for those using the Firefox browser. Set it to 150 and only half the song plays, 200 plays 2 thirds and 0 plays not at all! Just a guess, but it looks like to me about 1/4 of the users around here use Firefox.

Other sites besides Imeem.com that do the <object ...> ... <embed ...></embed></object> trick are youTube.com and pyzam.com (their slideshows). Fix those the same way by just grabbing just the EMBED part and tossing the rest.

Oh one last thing, could those of you who use some browser other than IE please do this fix also? That way visitors to your page who do use IE won't have problems viewing your page.
[notify]
Magic--R.I.P

Will Work for- Food

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 9:05am PST 
Where do we do this?:

Change this ...

To this ...

[notify]
?Princess- Flu Flu ?

??Kisses are for- me ??

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 10:18am PST 
Thank you so much for the information ..i will give it a go right away...but for the little darling who wants to know where to change this...
i can help..
After you go to a site like music site...you tube or any other and copy the code....go to your account page and than to the presonal details about your pet....scroll to the bottom to "fun stuff" and click on it...at the bottom is where you add your code....and that is where you make the changes after you paste it....you just scroll what you pasted and remove the things that are suggested here.
thank you again..my pages have been going wild for ages and even dogster could not fix them...i will give it a go no....may even come back and let you know how i went.....kisses to you cheerway to godog
[notify]

?Princess- Flu Flu ?

??Kisses are for- me ??

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 11:09am PST 
well i put it to the test and had to get rid of almost everything on my page until i worked out what it was that set my page wild....it was the background layout i used from pyzam....once that was gone the page worked fine...so i am adding other things for now but will be careful with what background i put on...i did try to cut down the code but it was slightly different and so i was not sure what to do with it....well at least it works now...good luck everyone.xxxx
[notify]
In Memory of- APRIL

*Beloved*

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 7:54pm PST 
I just took Imeem off my page and that solved the problem. My problem is trying to look at pages that have problems. Dogsters need to check their pages.
[notify]
♥Lord- Pippin&heart- s;

I RULE! I OWN! I- POSSESS!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 3:12pm PST 
I use Safari on an Apple Computer........ and it never used to do this....... !
[notify]

Ah, the country- life!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 11:15am PST 
I have some additional information for those of you who have been having problems with their IE browsers. With all of the updates that Microsoft has pushed out in the past 3 or 4 months, Adobe's Flash Player was affected.

My browser was closing on IE's famous "has encountered a problem" at least once a week. There is a new version of Flash Player that was made available December 3, 2007 to "fix" this error. Adobe does not push updates to their software so if you haven't upgraded to the newest version of Flash Player, please do so. I haven't had any issues since upgrading and my overall IE performance seems to have improved.

To get the upgrade, go to http://www.adobe.com and click on the "Get Adobe Flash Player" icon located about 2/3 of the way down on to the right of center. You can try this link, Flash Player, to go directly to the download page. It does state you may not have to restart your PC, but I found in order for Windows to find the new version, you must restart your PC.

Hope this helps some of you!
[notify]
Hendrix

Balls, Balls,- Water, Water,- Water...

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 11:03am PST 
Okay this makes sense, however I'm not really getting it at the same time?....
I get this "Operation Aborted" when I visit some doggies' page.
What do I need to do to my page so I can view their page?
I don't have music on my page, so I'm not sure what to do?
Please let me know when you have a chance. I'd greatly appreciate it...

Have a Wonderful Day!

Sunshine and Happiness,
Hendrix
XOXOX
dogdogdogdogdogdog
[notify]
~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 12:19pm PST 
Thank you for posting this! It has been annoying me for some time.

Hendrix...I think this has to be fixed by whoever's page you are trying to view. It has nothing to do with your settings.
[notify]

Ah, the country- life!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 12:25pm PST 
Yep, Sophie is right. Unfortunately, there isn't much that you can do on your end.

We have Firefox on our computer too so when we get that error, we switch to it. Then we look over our friends' pages to figure out which widget is causing the problem. Next we write to them and ask them to fix it.

A lot of times the friends who's pages we are having problems with don't realize they have a problem because they use a browser other than Internet Explorer.

Word on the street is Microsoft is coming out with version 8 of IE in April. I haven't seen anything yet to verify this. Any bets on how well it will work?

Oh 2 more sites to watch out for in how they use the embed code: Photoshow.com and Widgetbox.com.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2