GO!

how can I keep homeowners insurance without outright lying about my dog?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
VonSeizer

"ALL HAIL THE- GREAT- VONSEIZER"!!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 8:43am PST 
I have been cancelled twice now for no other reason than the breed of my dog. No bite history, obedience trained, fence around property, proper signs indicating his presence, electronic fencing to keep him 2 feet from the main fence. shrugshrugshrug HELP shrugshrugshrug
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 9:09am PST 
Does he have a CGC certificate or equal?
[notify]
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 9:19am PST 
One of my good friends is a highly-successful, brilliant actuary with a large, nation-wide insurance company. I asked him about this very question, since my brother wants to get a Doberman.

He says that you need to talk to your agent about getting an exclusion for the dog. You can get it written into your policy where they will cover all the normal stuff, but they are not liable for anything the pet does. He says that they still cover homeowners with the so-called "high-risk" breeds, and if they're denied it's not because of the dog (on account of the ability to exclude it from the insurance). You do need to make sure that your insurance agent knows about this process, and this may involve calling up to corporate in some cases. I know that with this company, I've had some bad agents in regards to renters/auto insurance, but a quick call to corporate will point me in the right direction.

Hope this helps a little!

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '08 9:19am PST

Our Gang

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 9:43am PST 
Try calling State Farm Insurance, they say that they do not discriminate based on breed.
[notify]
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 10:25am PST 
Thanks Our Gang! That's who my friend is an actuary with, I totally didn't put that in my post. Their HQ is in my city smile.

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '08 10:25am PST

Kadie

Sassy butt

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 3:01pm PST 
Hey try Scottsdale Insurance. They do dog exclusion. It is just a piece of paper that they have you sign that says if anything happens involving the dog that they are not liable.
[notify]
Mosey- (5/13/05-4/2- 3/12)

I'm an 80 lb- lapdog:)!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 3:20pm PST 
Dunno what area you're in but if Selective Insurance writes in your state, you can try finding an agent who writes for them. They don't have a "prohibited dogs" list - they just ask if any animal has a bite history. If no bite history, your fine and no exclusion if (heaven forbid) something did happen in the future. Mom's an agent so she's had to fill out their forms and purposely got our HO insurance through them for that reason. Good luck!
[notify]
Kadie

Sassy butt

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '08 7:43am PST 
Scottsdale Insurance is 1-800-423-7675 maybe you could call & see if there is a Scottsdale Insurance in your area. I know they have dog exclusion cuz we had to sign that form cuz of our pitbulls.
[notify]
Lord Byron- the Rul

Bunnies....?

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 9:44am PST 
Call around and see who in your area doesn't base it on breed. Don't support any company who does.
[notify]
Angus - 2/22/02 - 11/21/06

Wubba Wubba Woo- Woo

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 10:25am PST 
That just sucks!! My insurance carrier KNOWS I have dogs (he's right next door to my office) but has never asked the breeds of my dogs. I'm with Allstate. I would just call around and ask.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3