GO!

Proper Paw Grooming Questions

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lucyy!?!!- =]]

So much cooler- than yerr mom :]

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '07 3:24pm PST 
Well since the only grooming Lucy needs is brushing and paw grooming (hair trimmed and nail clipping) so there is no sense in bring Lucy to the groomers. So guess who gets to do it? Me and mom. Well mom is deatly scared of cutting toe nails and gets nervous when Lucy growls and stuff so I decided I would learn. What is an easy way to cut toe nails without getting bitten? Also what is the "proper" way to trim paw fur? I recently did it with non-sharp scissors (aka the ones you use for school) so I wouldn't like cut Lucy. Is this ok? Also what all do you have to do to cut it? As in like where do you cut and stuff? It doesn't have to be like show grooming or anything as Lucy is not infact a show dog big laugh
Thanks!
~Lu's ma
[notify]
Lady

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '07 3:42pm PST 
I just trim the undersides of the paws, trim between the toes so the hair doesn't get too think, and tidy the hair all over Lady's feet. Of course, I'm not a professional groomer, so maybe some more experienced people here can offer advice.
As for nail trimming, I read in one place that you should wait until the dog is almost asleep. That wouldn't work for me, since Lady is always wide awake when I'm around. smile
[notify]
Romeo

CD RE (CKC) CRS- RV (CARO) FDX- SJATD HIC

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '07 5:20pm PST 
Hey Lucy!

Again, not a professional groomer, but I've always done my own dog's nails and was recently (a few months ago) taught how to make "cat feet" by the breeder of my new Sheltie, Romeo.

For nails, I start as soon as I get the pup home. Manipulate the paws, teach them to offer me a paw as a trick (shake a paw), push my fingers between their toes and around the pads, hold the nails, etc. Then move to clipping the nails, do only a few at a time, giving a treat after each nail but only allowing the dog to get up when you say so, don't let them call the shots and get up on their own. Work slow and at the dog's pace, that means you need to read them well. If you see they are getting stressed, don't push it and give them the release to get up BEFORE they get to the biting point. It's not normal (though it is common) for dogs to growl or snap during nail clipping so that should never be an acceptable behaviour from them and you should start working to curb that. But it takes time, especially if it is an established habit.

As for trimming the pretty "cat feet" you need a small slicker brush and a pair of thinning shears. Use the slicker to brush the hair on the top of the paw backwards so it stands straight up, be sure to get the long stuff between their toes as well. Use the thinning shears to trim all the hair to an even length, be careful not to go too short as you can pinch the skin in the shears. I then take a round-tipped small pair of scissors and trim the hair along the edge of the paw straight, clipping it straight across the nail so the paw looks round. For the bottom of the paw, I use a small battery operated razor intended for female grooming needs. You can pick them up for about $20 at a pharmacy store or any place that sells human hygiene products. Then I just use those to clip the hair between the toes and pads. When you get the razor home for the first time, try it on yourself ... run it along your arm or leg or something and see what angle you need it to be at to clip properly, also what pressure you have to apply before it will pinch. The good thing about those cheap razors is that they don't get hot (they are intended for human use right up against the skin) and they aren't sharp enough to cut skin, though they will pinch if you try hard enough).

And that is how I groom feet! laugh out loud
[notify]

ACE

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '07 7:09am PST 
thinning shears on feet? you really dont need to use those. for feet trimming, you brush the hair up with a clicker and then trim the hair that comes up with scissors. also, time the hair between the pads.

as far as nails go, you need to desensitize the dog. when you ase just playing with the dog, start touching and massaging her feet. and praise her a lot when she doesnt growl or move her foot away. it helps if you tire the dog out before you even attempt to try cutting the nails. first off, put a muzzle on if you think she will bite. have one person try holding her (also this person should be trying to talk softly to calm the dog down), while one pwerson cuts the nails. everytime you cut a nail and she is good, give her a lot of praise or treats.
[notify]
Romeo

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '07 7:22am PST 
I find that the thinning shears work better than scissors for me. With scissors, I always ended up with "lines" or odd edges. The thinning shears cut the hairs at slightly different lengths so you don't end up with the hack-job look. It's the way most people around here groom Sheltie feet for show, but easy enough to do at home. I'm a big fan of the cat-foot look on my guys big grin Even though they aren't show dogs. Rogue toe hair on breeds that are supposed to have smooth feet is a big pet peeve of mine laugh out loud
[notify]
Lucyy!?!!- =]]

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '07 2:39pm PST 
Thanks! The thinning shears sounds easy enough. Where can you buy them? But just for a test I'll borrow Vj's horse thinning shears big laugh As for the playing of the feet and all. She loves it. She loves people playing with her feet and massaging them. Just if she sees the clippers she freaks. She has a bit of a bad experience once and she bled a bit. The way we cut her toe nails now is I hold her (standing up even though she is mad heavy) with her face held to my chest. She just growls but does flip or anything...
[notify]
Romeo

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '07 4:10pm PST 
You can purchase thinning shears from grooming or show dog supply stores, but they are often quite expensive. Since I was just wanting a pair for at home work on my guys, I opted for a cheaper pair from PetSmart. There are coarse shears and fine shears. I would REALLY like a pair of fine shears, but haven't been able to find any that are within my budget. PetSmart has coarse shears for about $20 or something like that. They probably aren't the best quality, but for the purpose I have for them (really just trimming feet and ears of two dogs about once a week) they are just fine.
[notify]
Ava

No, I'm the- baby!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '07 10:00pm PST 
For nail trimming, I have found that most dogs fear it because the owners fear it moreso than because it hurts. You have to be confident, so if that means that you trim only a tiny bit, that is what you have to do. You take the foot and cut without fuss. The faster you can do it the better so practice by just taking the tips off. With a Corgi, I would think most of the nails would be worn down during walks so that there wouldn't be all that much to cut anyway.

When you cut the nail, look at it from the side. Genrally, the quick starts after or at the bend in the nail. So, take your scissors and put them where the nail bends/curves. Because the quick is towards the bottom of the nail, cut the nail at an angle so that you are taking more off the top than the bottom. This will also help you see when you are near the quick without cutting it.
[notify]
Lucyy!?!!- =]]

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '07 4:32am PST 
They usually are worn down but since it has been getting dark earlier we have been taking her for shorter walks and using the treadmil instead. As for the locating of the quick, Lucy has clear nails so they are easy to see. 20$ eh? A bit much for me. I only really need to do the bottom so it doesn't get tangled or whatnot. It was a good idea though way to go
[notify]
Tiger Lily

The fastest- couch potato you- ever met!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '07 6:58am PST 
If you go to Petedge.com you can find whole sale tools, such as thinning shears, nail trimmers and anything else you can think of. Im a dog groomer, and I get alot of my tools and supplies on that site. Also tons of dog toys, beds and what not.

Good luck
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2