GO!

Top 5 things to know about YOUR breed!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 24: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 10:50am PST 
What are the top 5 most important things that people should know about your breed? Or, for any mixes out there that aren't sure what breed they identify best with, what are the top 5 things to know about your type (ie. herding dogs, hound dogs, terriers, etc.)?

big grin
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 11:00am PST 
1.) We are dog agressive, especially same sex! (In general...)

2.) We eat a lot of food, require a much larger dose of heartworm/flea preventative, and have some serious health problems. So, if you're not willing to fork out the dough and put your vet's kids through college, don't go forward with getting one of us.

3.) We are super lazy, and aren't for active folk.

4.) We like our people, and are usually "one person" or "one family" kind of dogs.

5.) We slobber---a lot!
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 11:29am PST 
Top 5 like, "Please consider these before going out and getting one?" Or just general breed traits?

I guess with Huskies they're pretty much the same laugh out loud. In no particular order:

1. They're extremely intelligent, but also have a mind of their own. It's difficult to train them because you have to put a lot of effort into convincing them that doing what you want is worthwhile for them. This goes back to their working days - For example, when you're on a sled running over a frozen river and your lead dog feels the ice under him start to give, his life, your life, and the lives of the rest of the team depend on him ignoring the command to go forward and finding a way off the ice.

2. They are mouthy creatures with high prey drive. They play with their mouths (chase and grab is a favorite game), they tell you they don't want to do that with their mouth, they talk all the time about everything... This can make them a poor choice as a family dog. They can certainly co-exist with children, but they aren't the proverbial let-the-kids-climb-all-over-them family dog. And they will probably kill the neighbor's cats.

3. They blow coat. With a good diet and routine brushing, I don't think it's really that bad. But definitely not a breed for people who have an issue with fur.

4. They have no problem with that strange human or dog, but they probably don't love them, either. They like to socialize, and they pick their friends (they have a fantastic memory - they won't forget a friend, ever). They're by no means guard dogs. The surest way to get one to ignore you is to actively seek their attention... They'll say "hi" if they feel like it. (It seems there are some lines that are extremely outgoing, but I have found them to be the exception.)

5. They are total escape artists. If you bore them, they will get out and make their own fun. They will probably come back, if they aren't hurt, stolen, or picked up by animal control in a town 40 miles away. Even Vance, who accompanies me everywhere in my busy life and will stay inside a 3 foot fence for me, was given up for going over, under, and through a 6 foot fence, chewing through all manner of tie-outs, slipping his collar, chewing his collar off... All because his first owner was unable to fulfill his need for exercise. Odds are if you just let them off leash, they'll take off.
[notify]

Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 11:54am PST 
SHETLAND SHEEPDOGS ... aka Shelties

5 things to keep in mind if you are considering a Sheltie. These points are what I consider to be the real truth regarding Shelties. After reading these, you may think, "Wow, why would I ever want a Sheltie? They are so difficult!" ... But their pros MUCH outweight their cons. I just want people to be totally aware of the whole breed ... pros and cons ... before bringing a Sheltie into their homes. Ignoring the cons doesn't make them go away ... recognizing them will make for a much happier time with your Sheltie big grin

1) Shelties NEED a job! It's not a coincidence that they excel at activities like obedience, rally-o, agility, flyball, herding, etc. Shelties thrive on having a job and without one can resort to nasty little behaviours and obsessive sorts of actions (pacing, chewing, barking, etc.)

2) Shelties require upkeep! Grooming isn't a huge task, but to keep your Sheltie healthy and happy a good hour each week is required for grooming. Shedding can be reduced, but will never be eliminated. They are also prone to putting on weight very easily so a good quality diet is very important to keep them trim and fit.

3) Shelties need your help in gaining confidence! They are naturally a shy breed, loyal and outgoing around their immediate family, but reserved around strangers. If this isn't addressed, it is very easy for this reservation to become extreme and a Sheltie to become skittish and timid. Socialization is very important in order to teach your Sheltie how to deal with new people, places, and experiences. Unaddressed timidness can lead to fear aggression or reactive behaviours.

4) Shelties are "velcro dogs"! They LOVE their people and do not do well in situations where they will be left unattended for long lengths of time. Separation anxiety is rarely an issue and Shelties can become adapted to a normal workday schedule, but serious "family time" is needed in order for your Sheltie to truly be happy. Shelties are family dogs and should not be separated from the family. If you want a dog to keep in the backyard all day, don't get a Sheltie.

5) Shelties are a pure joy to live with! They will draw attention where ever they go. They are dedicated, loyal and affectionate towards "their people" and LOVE to entertain. Shelties are smarter than most people and will keep you on your toes ... and always laughing!
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 12:04pm PST 
BOL, good point Vance! What ever works best, I guess. way to go
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 12:09pm PST 
1. We should sue the media for libel that's proving to threaten to exterminate us entirely. We are not as bad as they make us out to be...half the dogs they call pit bulls really aren't. We don't like them at all, they never show us doing anything good.

2. We are EXTREMELY loyal to our people. In fact, we love all people as a general rule...and if raised right, we are other-animal-friendly as well. But mostly, we need our people...we are like small children, very needy and very clingy.

3. Our plight in life is to please our people, that is of utmost important. We hate when our people are unhappy with us. If we think it will make you happy, we will do it.

4. We are historically known for being great with children, despite recent media attacks. In fact, we used to be nicknamed "the Nanny Dog" because we are so patient with children.

5. And for the love of god, we DO NOT have locking jaws!
[notify]
Kiera

Did someone say- outside?

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 12:25pm PST 
Well said Gio! hail We have nothing to add about the wonderful world of SHELTIES!

Of course, except that Shelties are the best breed ever....anyway... wink

Just kidding (kind of....hehe)
[notify]
Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 12:27pm PST 
Rottweilers

1. WE DON'T EAT PEOPLE

2. We are a herding / working / protection breed

3. We are strong in body and mind

4. We are very human oreinted and not to be left outside chained/kennelled/ or as a lawn ornament

5. We are shadows. Just because you think you know every corner of your home don't mean they think you do and have to make sure you don't get lost.

I could say alot more but trying to keep to the OP bol
[notify]
Jaxon

No more baths...- & She did it...

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 12:40pm PST 
American Cocker Spaniels

1. We require GROOMING, GROOMING, GROOMING...especially if the owner chooses to have the dog with a longer coat.
2. We are prone to allergies, cherry eye, epilepsy, hip displasia, luxating patella, etc. So as a preventative be sure you get a puppy who test for heritary, genetic diseases. This can limit the chances of getting a poorly bred cocker.
3. We are not bad, hyper dogs... We are a people breed and love to be with our people. We don't do well when isolated or treated badly. We do get along with children, but we must be supervised when interacting with them as any other dog should.
4. We are bred as bird dogs and our main purpose is HUNT, therefore we are not just pretty lap dogs.
5. We are the smallest dog in the AKC Sporting Group
[notify]
Chase CGC

It's Mine I Tell- Ya! Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 12:49pm PST 
Australian Shepard's:

1. Very loyal... They do everything they can to please there owner.

2. Needs Physical AND mental Excise! They can take a break for a week (Chase has) but they need to be mentally and physically excised to be happy! Don't do it? Watch your house be ripped apart.

3. Prefers a job... No they don't need to leave on a farm to be happy, however they are happier with life if you give them something to do. Whether it be agility, obedience, rally, herding or all of them! I think even doing some jumps in your back yard or obedience in the house would make them happy!

4. Grooming/Shedding, I brush Chase every day to every other day with a regular brush that does not take out the under coat simply because I like the look of a full coat.. A full coat means more brushing and shedding. Now, you can use a brush that takes out the under coat that will help prevent brushing, there coat just won't look as full.

5. Wonderful... To me they are just a wonderful breed! If you have the time to work with them they will be the best breed you have ever owned!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 24: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]