GO!

intact poms

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 7:22am PST 
does anyone have any experience with unneutered poms? i've asked before but thought i'd ask the pom community. thanks!
[notify]
King Arthur

King Arthur-the- only ruler in- this house

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 9:46am PST 
What do you want to know? Both of my males are intact. smile
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 1:29pm PST 
just how their temperment is, how they r in the house, cleanliness wise. im not worried about my dog breeding anyone lol just didn't want to neuter him if i thought he'd be just fine as is. i mite breed him but no real plans to. i just didnt want to put him thru something if i necessarily didnt have to.
[notify]

Tucker

I'm 4 pounds of- cuteness!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 3:41pm PST 
I just had Tucker neutered. I spay/neuter all my pets because I don't breed. Tucker was cryptorchid, meaning one teste didn't descend. The vet said if I didn't have him neutered the undescended teste would in time become cancerous.

edit: He was also marking in my apartment.

Edited by author Thu Oct 18, '07 3:42pm PST

[notify]
King Arthur

King Arthur-the- only ruler in- this house

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 8:00pm PST 
Male dogs will tend to mark, you can purchase a belly-band at a pet supply store and have him wear it in the house. But if you do not intend to breed or show then I would have him neutered. Some times they will develop cancer later if they are not. Plus even though you don't intend to breed, if a female in the area comes into heat a male will do what ever is necessary to get to her. As far as temperament, it is well known that a neutered male is more docile. As for my two ,Arthur is the alpha and can get nasty even with humans and Lance is a sweet baby and submissive. So basically it depends on the male. big grin
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '07 7:48am PST 
yeah i was thinking i'd give him some time, see how he was in the house and prolly not neuter him til he was at least a year old. if he's absolutely perfect, lol then i may not do it at all. guess we'll have to wait and see!
[notify]
Tucker

I'm 4 pounds of- cuteness!

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '07 5:49pm PST 
Tuck is still marking... I did have him wearing belly bands before the surgery but since it's only been and week and he still had the stitches I will wait before I make him wear it again. I am really hoping that as the hormones leave his body the marking will stopconfused
[notify]
Axel

What Did You- do?!!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '07 11:37pm PST 
Axel is not neutered. I plan to breed him in the future..he has an amazing disposition. I will be showing him this spring. He was terrible to house brake. I trained him on wee wee pads since he was 9 weeks old. He didn't decide to actually use them until he was 8 months old. He frequently marked on the sides of beds and corners of all sorts. Eventually after time, training and patience he got the idea. Wee wee pads=treats. I too purchased the belly band from GWLittle.com but honestly I have never used it so I wouldn't even know how well it works. Axel would tend to mark when he visited his other pup pals but again he was a baby an did not fully understand the whole wee wee pad concept yet. If your not planning on breeding your dog then I would neuter. If your going to show your dog and he has a very good bloodline then I would consider breeding if you have the time effort and money to invest into it.
Good Luck !
[notify]
Blue Merle

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '07 2:52pm PST 
I have 2 male poms that are not neutered, as I do breed them. They both mark in the house and just about every place else.....If I wasn't breeding, I would definately neuter them both, although both have excellent temperments.....
[notify]
Wolfang

Really, you can- call me- "Wolfie".

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '08 12:14pm PST 
I'm intact. But my Mommy says that she's going to take me to get tutored soon. Wait...that's not the word...

Edited by author Wed Jan 2, '08 12:15pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2