GO!

Sentinel - uh oh!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rudy

let\\\\\\\'s- play!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '07 6:23am PST 
I hate sentinel. I try not to eat it, and even spit it out when mommy hides it in food. She tries something new each month, but I always catch her! She usually has to throw it to the back of my throat and massage me until I swallow! How goofy!

Anyway, today she put it in a piece of cheese. I ate the cheese, and mommy thought she heard the sentinel drop to the floor. But she can't find it anywhere! Maybe I did eat it? She even swept and couldn't find it. Should she give me another, just in case? Or would that be dangerous? I am a 16 lb. schnauzer!

love Rudy
cheer
[notify]
Skeeter- 6-2003 - 6-2012

Born to cuddle- with my ma

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '07 6:58am PST 
If your mom can't find it, then apparently you ate it. I would check with your vet before giving it a second time, just in case.

Love & Licks,
The Sassy 6 Pack
[notify]
Murphy

Move It! Dogface

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '07 7:22am PST 
Why doesn't your mom change to revolution next year and all they have to do it put it on your neck once a month and then you don't have to worry about eating it.
[notify]

Rudy

let\\\\\\\'s- play!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '07 10:48am PST 
I've never heard of revolution! Is it expensive?
[notify]
Sam **Gone- but never- forgotten

Samboney Baloney- in the House!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '07 11:12am PST 
it's actually kind of hard to overdose a dog on the ingredients in sentinal. WHILE I AM NOT A VET, i say if your mom is that concerned, give another tab, if not, dont worry and just take your pill next month same time.
[notify]
Diesel

I'm innocent, I- swear!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '07 5:29pm PST 
Not necessarily for Diesel b/c he's okay with taking his meds, but for our cat we buy something at Petsmart called "pill pockets". It's this meaty treat and you put the pill inside it and then squish the meaty stuff around it. So it's a treat and a pill helper all in one. Whiskers, our cat, takes it like a champ and she HATES taking anything. You might want to give it a try with your pup. Best of luck!
[notify]
Farrah- ♥12/9- 7-3/06

I love Bosco,- Jack & GR

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '07 5:32pm PST 
Never EVER give a second dose without talking to your vet. If you can't find it, then he took it.
[notify]
Rudy

let\\\\\\\'s- play!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '07 7:06pm PST 
mommy looked again, and even swiffered under the stove, and she still can't find it, so she's thinking that I ate it! Thanks for all the advice pups!

love Rudy
[notify]
Takiah

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '07 7:10pm PST 
Read the info pamphlet if you still have the package. I used Sentinel a few years back, and if I remember correctly it said that if you were unsure if you missed a dose, it was fine to give a second one (they did studies and even at 3 or 4 doses at a time, dogs showed no ill effects). I remember reading that, but definitely double check. Most heartworm meds say the same thing, at least the pills.

BTW I am also an expert at spitting out pills and finding them in everything. Mom now crushes them and mixes the powder in some egg or sardines or anything. Some pills you can`t do this with, depending on how they work, but I did it with the Sentinel.
[notify]
Sasha Belle

Bring Blue- Home!!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '07 7:19pm PST 
Just so you guys that use Sentinel know. It is not flea preventive. It is flea control. Sentinel is basically birthcontrol for fleas. They can still jump on all the dogs want, they just can't lay eggs. One good thing about it is that it does have a mosquito repellant in it.

As for the OP's question. If you can't find the pill it is probably safe to say that he ate it without you noticing. I wouldn't give a second pill unless you know for sure that he did not eat it.
And as always consult your vet if you are still worried.

Hope that helpswink

Edited by author Thu Sep 27, '07 7:20pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2