GO!

Pit Bull Teeth??

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Dakota

Crazy Koda

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 9:45am PST 
Hi, wave im sara,
I volunteer at a shelter and alot of people think that one of the dogs we have is part pit but im not sure...i know that pit bull teeth are set a different way from other dogs I just dont remember how...Can someone tell me so I can get this confusion over with...lol...

Thanks,
Sara & Dakota
[notify]
Taki

Cuddle me!

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 12:57pm PST 
As far as I know, that is a myth. From http://www.realpitbull.com/myths.html

Myth: "Pit Bulls have locking jaws."

The jaws of the Pit Bull are functionally the same as the jaws of any other breed, and this has been proven via expert examination.

The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of Pit Bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any [other] breed of dog. There is absolutely not evidence for the existence of any kind of ’locking mechanism’ unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier, says Dr. I. Lerh Brisbin of the University of Georgia (from the ADBA booklet, “Discover the American Pit Bull Terrier.)
[notify]
Krash

My dad is a US- Marine

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '07 2:58pm PST 
most dogs have there teeth the same way.
But my boy Krash is special, he has an underbite (bottom teeth row sticks out further then the top)
[notify]

Dakota

Crazy Koda

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '07 3:47pm PST 
no i mean with the canines...my friend said something about their bottom canines being infront of the top or the top infront of the bottom ones or somethin like that....
[notify]
Krash

My dad is a US- Marine

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '07 11:50am PST 
that sounds like an under or overbite to me.
[notify]
Taki

Cuddle me!

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 8:35am PST 
If it helps, I compared my pit bull's teeth with my little mutt's teeth. They look the same to me.
[notify]
Dakota

Crazy Koda

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 6:18pm PST 
ok thank you all so much...i'll just have to tell my friend she was wrong...lolsnoopy
[notify]
Sammie

Little one

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '07 6:57pm PST 
Hi! I'm Sammie and I just joined. My dad bought me at Northwest Seed and Pet, being told I was half black lab and half blue heeler. Two different vets, one in Spokane, WA, and the other in Deer Park, WA, told mom and dad that I'm definately half pit bull. Mom did a lot of research on my breed, because I have a three year old granddaughter. Mom called boarding places in Idaho and Washington. I definately do have a locking jaw but many of us,, trained right, don't use it. We're only agressive towards other animals, not people. Unless trained. Look at my picture on my page with me playing with my sister Maddy. Mom enlarged this picture and you can see the different teeth we have. The bite and alignment are different. My sister is only 7 months older than me and she never had teeth like this. I also have razor sharp fingernails. Anyway, any questions, email me back. Bye! P.S. I'M THE SWEETEST PUPPY EVER!!: snoopy
[notify]
Chico

Blue Cheese...

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '07 7:21am PST 
APBTs do not have locking jaws. Their jaw structure is no different than any other breed of dog.
[notify]
Levi

A doggie treat- cures all ills

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '07 12:42pm PST 
Is she talking about the mough structure? Levi's head is built triangular and his back jaw is wider tht the other dogs, but the teeth are the same.......Sounds like a crazy myth!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3