GO!

Need some help

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Louie

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 11:37am PST 
So Louie is now 1 year old, and we are having some problems. He is very aloof, not very loyal, and does NOT listen unless you are blatenly waving a piece of food around. He occasionally will come over for an ear scratch, and seems very happy (you should see him bound around the dog park) but training is impossible. We've taken him to a group training, which worked ok, but again, if I don't have a treat in my hand, he has no interest in me. Are there other berners out there that act this way? Any suggestions?
[notify]
Dakota

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '07 7:30pm PST 
How old was Louie when he first went to training class?wave
[notify]
Ducky

Ducky- the silliest- Berner around

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '07 2:43pm PST 
And have you given up training or are you still training?

Ducky is very motivated by food, but I've found that the more I bounce around and act like a lunatic cheerleader, the more interested she becomes in actually performing whatever command I am asking of her.

I'd keep your baby in class- these guys DO love to learn. Also, how old was your baby when you brought him home?
[notify]

Gloria

Her Gloriousness

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '07 8:49pm PST 
I agree with Ducky...the lunatic bouncing around thing definitely gets Glory's attention. She is also of course very food motivated, but that is not her only motivator. I find "happy" clapping and using my "dog voice" (talk about goofy...I sound like a cheerleader on uppers). I use lots of happy words (my favorite is "hi!") to get her attention. Our puppy teacher warned us that Berners get more stoic as they get older so sometimes you have to work to catch their interest.

I also agree that you should do more training...I've seen some real turn-arounds happen in class. Good luck and please keep us posted!
[notify]
Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '07 12:00am PST 
OMG. I got a Berner because I wanted a dog that would be a bit aloof, loyal, low energy, but good watch dog. What I got was the temperment of a standard poodle in Berner clothing! She jumps and runs like a freak when off of the leash - and she will not bark. Ever. She tries to climb into everyone's laps and wants constant attention... she is so needy. (I don't play into it, but this constant attention seeking is annoying). So I have to say that I do not have your problem, but I wish I did! I wish I was more help...
[notify]
Kai

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 5:58pm PST 
oh yes i have it too. The "come" command only works when i have a treat in my hand. Or if his playmate is around who is very well trained.
STUBBORN is very much the word for it..
He does like attention from people he knows and likes.

This breed attract a lot of attention and he hates strangers initally and does the flight action when they try to stroke him on his chest..
Though he is only 8 months old, we have been to training classes and continue this at home now and he is getting better.
Though they go through stages of being naughty and difficult.. i liken them to a child growing up..
[notify]
Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '08 7:40pm PST 
Saskia LOVES strangers and other people and animals... She is nothing short of a social butterfly. Sometimes I wonder, but her papers say Bernese Mountain Dog... I think it has a lot to do with the characteristics of the bitch and what the breeder is breeding for.
[notify]
Orion

Puppy Power- Away!!!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '08 11:22am PST 
Orion and Rowan are compleatly different training techniques. Rowan is not food motivated and Orion is. Rowan trained with no issues listed toeverything. Orion is the crazy puppy. It just takes consistent work. Lots of play too. Play with them and get a good bond going that makes a huge difference with any dog.
[notify]
Sims

Biggest 20lb lap- dog you will- ever see!!

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '08 4:13pm PST 
I took sims to puppy class as a puppy. He picked up all his basic obedience stuff real quick as long as we are in a controlled setting (ie, on a leash, at work, at home), but if I am off my leash or at the dog park it seems everything he learned is forgotten. All he wants to do is sniff any and all trees and play tag/box with me. I do have to say though that the older Sims gets the easier he is to teach a trick to. He just refuses to come, and heel.
[notify]
MT TOP's- Secret- Agent,- C.G.C.

R.I.P. Kahaus

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '08 12:34pm PST 
The class setting is just intended to get you started with your dog, but as you can see, it will not go all the way. One thing to note is that dogs don't learn words. Humans can think of the word "Sit" in a billion different contexts and still be able to understand; dogs do not have speech capabilities, so they learn to associate your pitch, tone, and body language with the behavior you're asking for. They can also learn to differentiate between equipment (carting harness means pull, collar and leash means heel) and people (Mom lets me on the bed, Dad doesn't). Theoretically, the same thing could be said about setting. As you train your dog in different settings, he will learn that sitting and heeling and such are not just for when he's in that big building with other dogs.

You have to work him according to what he understands, though. My dad's Berner, Lucy, sounds like yours. I would be fooling myself if I thought she would come to me to end the romp in the park. (It is probably best to go get them in that scenario, too, if possible, because otherwise they will associate coming to you with negative things like ending their romp.) If I wanted her to come to me outside, I would first take her somewhere on a long line or a fully extended flex leash with as little distraction as possible. I would work on coming there on a leash where I can enforce it and she is more likely to listen to me. When she absolutely has it down pat, I would move on to, say, the low-traffic end of a large parking lot. Up the ante. Increase distractions. Only remove the leash when she absolutely can and will come on the leash around distractions.

Well, I can only say so much in a post. I hope that helps you. I would suggest reading up on clicker training and talking with your trainer. May you and your dog overcome your challenges and grow together.

God bless you,
Lissa
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2