GO!

Indoor vs. Outdoor or Both?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chesney

Did someone say- peanut butter?!?

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 3:05pm PST 
Hi pups. I know this has been a popular topic in the past, so now I'm thoroughly confused...

Our little family will be moving to a house in three weeks with a great fenced backyard (it also backs to open space.) Chesney has been kennel trained, but I still go home at lunch to let her out and walk her because we currently live in a condo. Our new place is a little too far to go home at lunch.

We had always planned on getting a doggie door to the backyard for her and limiting her access in the house, but allowing her to be inside and outside at the same time. Am I asking for trouble?

I know she sleeps most of the day in her kennel, but I'm a little uneasy about leaving her for 9 hours each weekday. I've seen posts about dogs getting nabbed, poisoned and harrassed and I want to make sure Ches is safe.

She rarely has accidents now and is well exercised, which we plan to continue. Am I being paranoid or should I get the doggie door and let her run outside when she wants?
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 3:24pm PST 
Ultimately, it's what you're comfortable with. I have a coworker who has 4 dogs of his own and any number of fosters. He has a dog door and lets them in and out whenever they want.

Me, however, I would never let my dog out in my yard if I wasn't there supervising. Call me paranoid if you wish, but that's how I feel. There are too many bad things that could happen. She could get loose, someone could try and pet her and get bitten, kids could decide to tease her behind the fence, she could eat something she shouldn't, she might become a nuisance barking at everything, she could get hurt, etc. All I can think of are the bad things that could happen. I feel much better knowing she is indoors and safe. Whether in her kennel or just loose in the house, I don't have to worry about her.
[notify]
Poncho

Weapon of Mass- Distraction

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 3:31pm PST 
Mom never leaves me unsupervised because she's been freaked with all those stories of dogs being poisoned in their own yards eek
[notify]

Ayla

Where's the- Kitty

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 3:41pm PST 
I currently do not have a dog door since we have to put up a fence first, but my mom has had dogs forever and they have always had a dog door w/fence. What they have is kind of a double fence. It started out as a good portion of the back yard (30x30) was fenced in but the dogs didn't use it. So they took the side that was directly next to their yard and remove it (kept the fence surrounding neighbors up) then made a smaller fence (10x10 or so) for the dogs. This keeps unwanted people from getting into the yard, but limiting the doggies access to the yard. Their little fenced in area was clear of anything that they could get hurt by so they usually only use it to go potty and bark at the cat that went outside.smile
[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 3:45pm PST 
I wouldn't do it. Too many bad things could happen to him. There have already been cases where strange dogs have jumped into our yard; where he squeezed out a hole in the fence the size of a quarter; when he caught a rabbit; when neighbor kids were teasing him. I was glad that I was home to make sure that 1) strange dog didn't bother him; 2) he was rounded up and brought home and the fence was patched; 3) he didn't eat the rabbit; 4) the neighbor kids left him alone. And that's just what has already happened with us, and not counting the more horrific stories of poisonings, dog-knapping, etc.

Also, from a home security standpoint, I am not excited about having a hole in my door. Seems like it's handing burglars the key.

I have been home all summer and it's now a proven fact: Koorazh sleeps all day, with bursts of energy in the morning and the evening. He won't suffer from being inside, and I know that he'll be safe. I also hire a dog walker on days when I have to go in to work, just so he can get some stimulation.
[notify]
Joey

Spotted noses- are the next new- trend...

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 3:46pm PST 
Joey is an outside doggie and he's only fenced in when I am not home. Most people will disagree with me.

He sleeps inside at night. Jake sleeps outside in the fenced yard most nights. They seem to love to be outside and I want them to live lives as happy as can be!cloud 9

Edited by author Wed Aug 1, '07 3:47pm PST

[notify]
The LabraMutts

Justy, Homer- (angel) &- Bobbi-Girl

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 4:31pm PST 
We have a securely fenced yard, but the dogs stay in IF we're not at home. We don't want too much barking bother the neighbors & we're semi-rural AND there are dangers outside down here & everywhere (snakes, poisonous toads, & yes, our infamous alligator that managed to climb our fence & surprise us inside the fenced area when we did a surprise potty trip outside at 4:15am one AM). Others on the forums have mentioned dognapping for bait dogs & more!

How old is your pup? Sorry I didn't check the profile. If you're only got an 8-9 hour day & the dog is a 1 year old +, he/she should be able to hold it. Just don't run errands on the way home out of common courtesy laugh out loud

Justy has spay incontinence, but a med once a week controls it. At 8 months old, just one month after adoption, she handled 9 hour days in her crate. The 2 older dogs are loose in the house. Granted, they ALL are anxious to get to the backyard the minute we come in & we make a beeline to do exactly that.

Pup's safety is everything in this case. Congrats on the new house with a yard snoopy
[notify]
Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 4:40pm PST 
Make sure your yard is secure, that the pup can't jump out or dig under, if you plan to keep the pup outside unsupervised. Microchipped and wearing tags as well. If you want to limit the outside space your pup can run, you can make a small fenced area outside from the doggy door. If you want to limit how much inside space your pup has, you can also use barriers like pens or doggy gates. I recall someone in the past put a kennel up against the doggy door on the inside so the pup wouldn't turn the indoors into a disaster zone, but allow them to get out of the heat.

Teach the pup how to use the door.
[notify]
Chesney

Did someone say- peanut butter?!?

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 8:28pm PST 
Thanks, all. Chesney is 11 months old today and does really well "holding" it. I really think she'll be OK in the house all day and I might just gate her off in our kitchen so she has room to romp around (but still be safely inside) while we're at work. Plus we can leave in her doggie bed and kennel so she has her spot to nap.

I'm a little too worried about snakes and wildlife for her to be unsupervised. Chesney is very friendly and I shudder to think of her encouraging a large coyote or mountain lion into the yard!

She's chipped and always collared, but sadly, there are still folks who might do her harm.

Thanks for all the feedback. We'll have to make new neighbor friends so their doggies can come to our new backyard. dancing
[notify]
Rosie- *FOUND*

www.findrosie.co- m

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 4:20am PST 
That's the choice I've made too. Aside from the dangers, I think Rosie would annoy the neighbours. She doesn't start the barking, but I think if I wasn't supervising her she'd start barking back. We have a lot of dogs in our area, so that could keep going for a while!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2