GO!

Has anyone used Amatriptaline for dog agression/high energy dogs?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Dawson Lee- (In Loving- Memory)

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 6:49am PST 
Has anyone used or heard of Amatriptaline for dog agression or high energy dogs?
[notify]
Khola- CDX, CGC

R plus and- paitence what a- shocking idea

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 6:55am PST 
Amatriptaline is commonly used for dogs who becoming extremely scared when there are fireworks and/or vet visits. This is not a long term soultion to things, and is not something that is used for a long period of time. I would not use it then for a dog who is high energy or has aggression issues.

Whats going on that you're getting this possible perscription?
[notify]
Dawson Lee- (In Loving- Memory)

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 7:07am PST 
I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED AND BESIDE MYSELF. I HAVE TWO DOGS. THEY GET ALONG GREAT A MAJORITY OF THE TIME BUT IN THE LAST 2 YEARS THEY HAVE GOTTEN INTO SOME SERIOUS FIGHTS, ONE OF WHICH I HAD TO RUSH MY FEMALE (8YR OLD) TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM. MY MALE (4 YR OLD) GETS INTO A ZONE AND HE GETS THE BEST OF HER ALL THE TIME BECAUSE HE IS YOUNGER, FASTER AND STRONGER. MY MALE HAS ALWAYS BEEN VERY HIGH ENERGY. I HEARD OF AMATRIPALINE FROM THE ORGANIZATION IN WHICH I ADOPTED DAWSON FROM. THEY TOLD ME THEY USE IT IN SHELTERS WITH HIGH ENERGY DOGS AND OR DOGS WITH DOG AGGRESSION. THIS WAS THE RESPONCE I GOT - "' we have used it at the shelter I am working at, as well as on different dogs and it has done wonders with dog aggression.
I don't love the idea of medication, however sometimes I think it is the best and/or only option. I am sure he would be best living his life out with you, but obviously chances cannot be taken that could hurt either of them. This medication has done a lot of good with dog aggression and the dogs just became happier, less neurotic dogs.'"
[notify]

ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 7:14am PST 
I actually have heard of Amitriptyline being used in combination with clomacalm to treat some cases of rage syndrom, but in these cases, the rage was thought to be seizure related. Due to the fact that Amitriptyline is an antipsychotic, I would only consider using it under the strictest supervision of a highly qualified vet.
[notify]
Khola- CDX, CGC

R plus and- paitence what a- shocking idea

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 7:14am PST 
I have a friend who raises American Bulldogs and deals with many at once. I know this is not exactally what you are, but if you would like to pmail me I can forward her information onto you and she can help you with dealing with these issues. Shes got a few dogs who have to live together who are intact (I see you are not), but I'm sure she can give you some reassurance and help if you would like.
[notify]
Bobbi-Girl

I know- things...

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 7:19am PST 
Just a quick correction... amitriptyline is an anti-depressant, not an anti-psychotic, that is also used to aid sleep for some, calm some aggression or fear issues in humans & dogs, & in humans it is also used as a first line pain management med for chronic pain conditions (bedtime dosing only).
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 7:29am PST 
Tricyclic antidepressant. Depressive illness of psychotic or endogenous nature and in selected patient with neurotic depression.

OK, anti-depressant for psychotic or endogenous illnesses, allso a sleep aid and used for pain.

My DH takes it for pain and depression, but I know, it is a nasty little drug with some unpleasant effects, especially if it is taken irregularly. Not something I'd like t see my dogs on, especially if there are alternatives available.
[notify]