GO!

What is your perfect number of dogs and why?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
♥Brid- gette&hearts- ;

I AM the queen..- bow down before- me!

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 2:22pm PST 
I have two right now but don't feel complete without three dogs! I feel three is PERFECT! My husband says three is too much, or maximum you should have at one time! I feel three is minimum! Whats your opinion? Why? cheer dancing
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 2:41pm PST 
I love having a large pack. I had three dogs in a one bedroom apartment. It was work but I never minded. I have four now in ahouse and I plan on getting one more. I think five is the perfet number for me. I would never want less then two dogs and I would probably want more then that. I think two dogs is actually much easier hten one.
[notify]
♥Brid- gette&hearts- ;

I AM the queen..- bow down before- me!

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 2:49pm PST 
I totally agree! Even when you personally don't have time they can keep themselves company! I couldn't imagine have less than two! Thanks for the input!
[notify]

Nee

I don't ride in- purses...

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 2:50pm PST 
I like my three, I think it's the perfect number for me. Any more and I won't be able to give them the individual attention that they need. (I'm saying this is the best for ME, I have friends who can do it with 6 or more dogs, but they're just far better people than I am laugh out loud ) But with three they whole pack mentality isn't that bad, They can keep each other company and wear each other out playingThe food and vet bills aren't that much worse than two (And two isn't much worse than one....)
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 3:17pm PST 
When I just had Gio, I thought that one dog was just the right amount for me. I could do so much with that one dog and be involved in so many things. But I began getting puppy urges again ... Gio is a wonderful dog and I love him with all my being ... but there was just something rattling around inside of me that really really REALLY wanted another puppy.

So after about a year of searching for the right one, I got Romeo. Granted, he wasn't really a puppy in the sense that I wanted, he was 9 months old when I got him. That was just about 3 months ago. These past 3 months have totally changed the way I ever thought about owning dogs. I will NEVER willingly go back to just one dog again. I LOVE having a pair of them ... so much more to cuddle, so much more to play with, so much more to love.

But I do really enjoy being active and competing with my dogs, so I think that 2 (maybe 3) would be my limit. As it is now, 4 nights a week I have some sort of class or event with the dogs. And in a few months time Romeo will be ready to compete in his various sports so that will add to the list of competitions and events that I already participate in year round with Gio. The remaining nights are taken up with grooming and training and just loving on them. I think if I were to add another dog to the family, something would have to be let go. It would either be that the dogs would be limited to one sport/activity each, or one of the dogs would just be a home-body while Gio and Romeo were the competition dogs. Either way, I know that isn't fair for them. My two love being active and involved and I love the fact that they are little "Renaissance dogs" as opposed to "one trick ponies". I love that they are capable of doing it all and it would break my heart to take that away from them or prevent another dog from being able to obtain that.

So long story short ... 2 is perfect for me! BOL
way to go
[notify]
Magnolia,- J.B.O-p.D.M

Stir The Pot to- Prevent- Sticking!

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 3:26pm PST 
I think that three can be a hard number. Two play and the other one feels left out. Or not...

I have four, and it's a lot of work, but hey.....They keep each other company while I'm with the cat or the horse.
LOL
[notify]
Nick, CGC, WETX

I like wet, fowl- smelling things

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 3:51pm PST 
I think a lot depends on the dogs. We currently have two but they are so different in size (both are two years old) that although they keep each other company they don't really play much together. A little bit in the house but really not much. The size difference is just too great.

In order for them both to have playmates we would need to get two more. Even a medium sized dog can overwhelm a 5 lb toy poodle, (it happens often with the dogs we foster) just as any dog under about 35 lbs just can't keep up physically with Nick. Our solution is to get two more, bol!!!...Really 6 or 7 more is what we would both like.
[notify]
Deebo

I will bite u if- u don't leave me- alone.

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 3:52pm PST 
We currently have 9 dogs at our house. 2 of them don't technically belong to us though. We were dogsitting for a "friend" and she never came back to get them. So, 7 of them actually belong to us.
I love every single one of them (even the 2 that don't belong to us) in their own special way.. We have a system going as to who can go out with who and who goes out at what time so it works out pretty well.

I do think this many dogs is maybe a few too many but they are all here now and I couldn't imagine it without them.
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 4:02pm PST 
We have 2.
I'd like to have 4.
Sort of the "odd man out" @ three thing like Mags was talking about.
We'll see when I get to 3 how that holds up.
But until now, I'm putting my vote in for 4.
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 4:52pm PST 
3 works very well for me. Right now it's only two, though!! There is no "odd man out" when there's 3 because Socks just wants to take naps, she could care less if she was left out of anything... except for eating, there would be hell to pay if she didn't get to eat. wink So that leaves Jasmine and whatever foster is here at the time to play together and be best buds.

I've had five at one time, though... even then it wasn't too bad. Jasmine, Sawyer, and Wiggles would create a "chase chain" and run after eachother all through the yard, somehow avoided crashing into Max and tripping over Socks (most of the time, anyway). Occasionally Max would join in the running fun and even then it wasn't too bad. Then a pair would branch off to wrestle and the other would just watch and wait for their turn. Although Sawyer kinda beat up on Wiggles, poor girl. Anyway, it all depends on the dogs, I could not have lived with those 5 forever, it was hectic but doable for a short amount of time. There were 3 high energy dogs, that's what made it tough. Sawyer was an "in & out" dog and hardly ever rested! Geez!

Now, however, I am completely LOST with only 2 dogs!!! It is so weird! I cannot wait to get back up to 3... 3 is a very cozy number for me. cloud 9 4 is not too bad, either.
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4