GO!

Just Neutered...VERY Bruised!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Carson

Could I BE any- cuter?

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 9:25am PST 
Hi everyone...I am 15 months old and got neutered yesterday afternoon. When Mom and Dad came to pick me up this morning, they nearly cried when they saw me. I am very very very bruised above the incision - like its a deep purplish black color for an area about 6-8 inches long and maybe 2 inches wide. I'm also kind of swollen and don't really look like I'm missing anything, if you know what I mean. I feel great and Mom and Dad are having a hard time keeping me calm because I missed them so much and just want to run back and forth through the house. What can I tell them to make them feel better? They are feeling really guilty and worred right now. Thanks!
[notify]
Ra

Anything that- squeaks must- DIE!

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 9:35am PST 
Tell them not to feel guilty!
They have done you the greatest favor any dog owner can do.
Your Mom and Dad are so responsible, send them my thanks!

It may be a while for the swelling to go away, just try to stay calm and lay down on your bed or in your crate, and no licking!

If your Parents are very worried about it tell them that they can cal lthe Vet any time and describe what they see. Are you on any medication for swelling or pain?
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 9:36am PST 
Did the vet check the incision before you left? That sounds almost like a hematoma. It's not a huge deal in itself... It's basically a bruise that doesn't stop bruising and causes a blood-filled sac to form under the skin. If left untreated it can cause problems.

I might go in for a recheck. In the meantime, if you can apply a cold pack a few times a day it will help swelling and bruising go down, hematoma or not.
[notify]

Sawyer - ADOPTED!

I FOUND FUREVER

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 9:38am PST 
The swelling is completely normal. When my FM picked me up, I wasn't swollen at all, but I swelled over night and FM was freaking out because she thought I had an infection or something. But nope, it's normal to look like they never took anything out. The swelling should noticably diminish over the next couple of days. If it doesn't look like it's getting better, call the vet.

The bruising sounds weird though. frown
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 9:45am PST 
Bruising like you describe can sometimes occur with neuters. If there is a small blood vessel in the scrotum that bleeds afterwards, it can cause the bruising and swelling you see. If it doesn't seem painful to him, I wouldn't worry too much. It may take several weeks for it to resolve completely. Also keep an eye on the incision as any complication can increase the chances of it opening up or becoming infected. I would call your vet and make them aware of this. If they didn't realize it, they may want to recheck him just so they can monitor it in the future.
[notify]
Carson

Could I BE any- cuter?

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 10:17am PST 
Thank you everyone. Yes, the vet was the one who made me lay down on my back and show the bruising to mom and dad. She made it sound like it was not necessarily completely normal, but not all that uncommon either. The swelling and the bruising are in different places...the bruised area is not swollen, just discolored. They also said to watch it and call if it gets worse, but it should start to get better in a few days.
[notify]
Buddy

Can I have a- cookie?

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 10:30am PST 
Ditto what Beau said. (Wow he types fast for a Bassett!)
Bruising and swelling seem to occur more frequently in larger dogs and older dogs.
An ice pack to the area a couple times a day will help.
[notify]
Maxzilla

I LOVE- SQUIRRELS!

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 10:31am PST 
Hi! I was really bruised when I got neutered too. Pretty much my whole belly was purple and red. Mom was scared that it hurt and babied me terribly. I just wanted to run around and have fun, although I wouldn't have minded staying at the vets...he gives me lots of treats!
[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 10:58am PST 
Thanks for posting this!
It's good to know ahead of time, cause Mr. Sirius will be getting his neuter in a couple of months, and I would freak out if I didn't know bruising was relatively common.

Siri's mom
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 12:10pm PST 
Swelling is normal, do not fret! I swelled the next day after I was neutered. And don't lick your incision!! I licked at mine one day while Mom was napping and it got infected! It was no fun!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2