GO!

Beware of Toxic Toys

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Striker:Gone- Too Soon

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '07 3:33am PST 
First the Food Recalls and Now This....

Our breeder recently told us about one of their pups who received a new Christmas toy from their owners. It looks like a real tire, sorry that I don't know the brand. Anyway, this beautiful boy loved it and chomped away. He began having seizures which, of course, were treated at the vet. Meanwhile the family had rotated the toy out of the mix. Three weeks later it was reintroduced and THE SEIZURES STARTED AGAIN.
The family feels that there was something toxic about that toy. So just beware and buy long standing, name brand toys for your pets.

Has anyone else had a similiar experience?
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '07 7:54am PST 
I have never heard of that, but it's a good thing to know!! I knew someone who bought a toy tire for their dog and he wouldn't come near it. Thanks for the advice!!
[notify]
Katie

I am the- Dreamsicle-you- may kiss my nose

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '07 12:47pm PST 
Not with this but I know that there was a recall in the last few months of kids lunch boxes-the plastic soft sided kind in shapes-because they contained leadshock

Thanks for the heads up on the toxic tire (alleged toxic, sorry don't want to get in trouble). I think it brings home the point that we need to really start looking at what we give our family members of any variety who like to mouth stuff. I can't help but feel a bit nervous anymore of things made out of the US. Pet food, now toothpast, lots of small recalls (teething rings about a year ago) all that have things not accepted in the US as safe but might be ok in other places. I think it means that Katie will get only companies I can really recognize for her toys-in the mouth equals in her system so you just can't chance it.
[notify]

♠Tyson♠

Punish the deed,- not the breed...

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '07 12:54pm PST 
Oh how scary, Tyson has had a couple of those toy tires, luckily he didnt really take to them and buried them in the canyon behind the house. Thanks for the info, I think we will stay away from those... shock
[notify]
Meeko

our little- boston- TERROR!!!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '07 7:38pm PST 
my boys had these tires & we've been lucky. they haven't had any negative effects but we stopped giving them the tires once they started chewing peices off. sorry to hear about your experiencefrown
[notify]