GO!

People don't like my dog peeing or pooping on their lawn

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Cloie

Throw me a- frisbee...please- ?

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 10:37pm PST 
I got "talked to" by a couple of people when my dog pooped on their grass (I picked up), and another time my dog peed on someone's grass, and we got "caught".

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there some etiquette when taking your dog for a walk...is it wrong for dogs to do their business on someone's lawn? Should I pull her away when the lawn is nicely tended, and only let her go on crappy looking lawns? Or stick to dog parks?

I had a discussion with one lady who complained when my dog peed on her grass (which was not very green and well tended). She said she had a dog but she didn't take her dog for a walk, only let her go in her own back yard. I said this is wrong, dogs need to be walked.

What's a dog owner to do?
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 10:47pm PST 
Kitai is never allowed to use anyones lawn as a toilet.

I allow him to pee on unkempt bushes or plants that overhang the sidewalk and alongside the strip closest to the street, on bark or on gravel.

He poops on the curb, meaning when he needs to poop he pulls off the sidewalk and walks alongside the curb in the street. I taught him to do this shortly after I adopted him by pulling to the curb when he would start sniffing the ground as he walked.

Here in CA where I live it is illegal to let your dog relieve itself on anyones private property including their front lawn. Even if you scoop poop the odor remains and will draw more dogs to relieve themselves in the same place. Same with urine, male or female.

Even then I was yelled at for letting him poop in the street! And I scoop always! And once a man yelled at us when he did 4 drops of urine on some big unkempt ivy alongside the road.

shrug
[notify]
Baxter

Wag and Roll

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 10:54pm PST 
Hi Clioe,

I have to agree with Kitai....I do not let my dogs use other people's yards as their toilet. Imagine someone letting there child out to play in their yard and there was poop pr pee there? Not pleasant.

Training your dog to use the curb, like Kitai is a great idea. Another alternative, that we use here, is to have the dogs go to the bathroom in a specific spot in your own yard each and every time, before you go for a walk (this will not stop the occasional attempt to mark, especially for a male dog).

Good luck!
[notify]

TK, CGC

Stop and lay in- the sunshine

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 11:04pm PST 
I give my guys some time to pee and poop before we start our walks. I actually don't allow them to pee or poop AT ALL during our walks. I view them as time for exercise and leash training, not for potty breaks. It also eliminates the possibility that someone will get offended by their, well, elimination. Besides, they can hold it for an hour or so if given the chance to go right before hand.
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 11:13pm PST 
Two more reasons not to let your dog on lawns...

If the lawn has recently been sprayed with fertilizer or weed killers, both of which can cause your dog to have a severe skin reaction or worse if it gets on their paws and legs and they lick it off when they get home.
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 11:27pm PST 
I don't let my two pee on anyone's lawn.. actually Maggie NEVER evacuates on a walk.. not even a pee.. shrug I guess she's too lady like for public peeing.. big laugh

But Kaiser loves to pee on walks. I don't like him to do it on lawns because he wipes his feet afterwards and it can really tear things up. There are plenty of trees, fire hydrants and bushes along the way for him to use.

I don't mind people letting their dogs use my lawn as long as they pick up afterwards. Many don't!

Edited by author Tue May 29, '07 11:29pm PST

[notify]
Pixie Dust

Once You Beagle- You Never Go- Back

Barked: Wed May 30, '07 12:13am PST 
Right now I am potty training my dog, so anywhere outside is a cheer for me, even on walks. I have had no one complain to me about peeing or pooing on there lawns, I scoop up the poop which is more then some people to in my small town lol.
I personally see nothing wrong with it, I am not gonna scold her for going outside and with the way people drive in my town she'll end up ran over if I get her to go on the curb.
Mostly though there is a piece of grass on the other side of the sidewalks where I walk, she can go there with no one saying anything since its town property.
[notify]
Vincent

for Rio - CYSTS BE GONE!!

Barked: Wed May 30, '07 4:41am PST 
I never let my two eliminate on someone else's property. Most of our streets here have a grass verge in between the road and the sidewalk, so if they have to go, that's where they do it. When they were little and still housebreaking, I just walked them so they were on the grass verge - I don't let them put a paw into someone's yard unless they're invited.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Wed May 30, '07 5:21am PST 
I think it is extremely rude to let your dog pee or poop on someone elses lawn. I hate it when people let their dog go on our lawn. I have complained to an neighbor too about letting his dog on our grass. As Vincent said, many places have a grass verge between the lawn, sidewalk and road - Rosie goes there if she has to. I always pick up the poop if this happens too so there can be no complaints about the grass verge.

If I didn't own a pet I would probably be even more ticked off if you let your dog do that on my grass!
[notify]
Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Wed May 30, '07 5:28am PST 
I would never allow my dog to 'go' on someone else's property. I groan when he goes at the park or at the lake - but I clean it up as well as I can. I don't like it when he goes in certain sections of my own yard. I'm a 'barefoot in the grass' person. I'd like to be able to walk around in my yard without someone's dog poo remnants there.
[notify]
(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]