GO!

which harness to use?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Elliot

I am larger than- life, no really- I AM

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 7:41pm PST 
See I am one smart dog I can wriggle out of my harness in seconds. I don't do it on a regular walk but mum still feels unsafe as she knows I can. Is there a harness that I can get out of?
[notify]
Callie NPC,- DBE, STCH,- LP1, CR

100% pure Love- Sponge Attention- Hound!

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 8:00pm PST 
What kinds of harness have you tried?
[notify]
JD

Couch Potato!

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 8:08pm PST 
I am an escape artist when it comes to collars. you name it i got out of it. then mom got me whats called a greyhound collar. im still trying to figure that one out. its been 2yrs now. Someday i will get it. Hope this helps.
[notify]

Elliot

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 8:29pm PST 
I just have one of those petsmart harnesses, nothing fancy. I need to have a harness instead of a collar, I am a puller and do way better with a harness. I've never gotten out of my collar before though.
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 8:54pm PST 
Kitai LOVES his Puppia harnesses! He's never even come close to getting out of one. Not sure how a Houdini dog would do in one but once the straps are in place and fitted I think it's pretty secure.
[notify]
Paris-- CGC &- Therapy Dog

Missy Wiggle- Butt

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 10:39pm PST 
Paris would like to second the Puppia harness! They are soft and comfy and come in lots of cool patterns and colors.
[notify]
Callie NPC,- DBE, STCH,- LP1, CR

100% pure Love- Sponge Attention- Hound!

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 11:37pm PST 
I would suggest trying a Premier Sure-Fit harness. Properly fitted, it should be escape proof.

And if this is the harness you're using:
http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/larg e/January05/lg_55571_41b11.jpg

I'm not surprised you're getting out of it so easily. My kitty brother had several and could get out of one within 2 minutes and one within 30 seconds. Figure 8 harnesses really are not the greatest design, let's just say.
[notify]
Cotton, TDI,- CGC, TFP-I,- FMX

You can't resist- me.

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 11:54pm PST 
Thank you for the info. Cotton has also escaped and contorted in her harness. I had seen the puppia harnesses in a botique but they only had them for very small dogs. I couldn't remember what they were called to look them up when I got home. Is there a reputable
online company that sells them? Do they make them for a 40 pound deep chested dog? If yes, what size would that be? puppy
[notify]
Elliot

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 6:26am PST 
I don't seem to find our harness on the petsmart website anymore, my hubsnad bought it a while back so maybe they don't have it any more? The puppia harness looks great though, I think we'll give this a try. Thanks!
[notify]
Brigetta

RESCUE!!!

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 6:33am PST 
Brigetta pulls out of fear, and has also pulled out of her harness before. The only one that has worked for her is the Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness.
I do like the look of the Puppia, but I don't think they make one that would fit Brigetta.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2