GO!

Melodee Had a Severe Seizure!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Melodee

Miss Melodee,- Super Puppy!- Hugs&Kisses

Barked: Tue May 15, '07 9:15pm PST 
This is the first time ever! Looks like my poor girl is in for life long medication!!!!!
She was perfectly healthy until today!
I have seen other peoples dogs have episodes, but they were never this long, or my pup!
This all went on over about a period of an hour and a half.
To read more check out Melodee's direy.
Hugs Dogsters
[notify]
Scooter

Yes i did it!

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 5:28am PST 
Melodee,
Did you find out if there was a reason for your seizer?
When I did that vet poked me took my blood.She told mommy i had a calcium defiency. Mommy is so happy i never had another one since that last time. Seizers can be caused by alot of things some are fixable.
Mommy thinks something in me don't let me process calcium right,maybe just when i have babies,cause i was getting bunches. But thats what vet said was why i had seizer for a long time was i did not have enough.
Hope you got the fixable kind.
Scooter
[notify]
♥- Dezi- ♥- PAWS

I luf you all!!

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 5:33am PST 
aww... *huggles* we are always here for you, and will keep you in our prayers...
[notify]

Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 5:54am PST 
What did the vet say was the problem? With humans they say that one seizure is not a problem, two is likely to be epilepsy. So as you have only had one that our parents know of, what is the vet recommending.

Hope you are OK sweets. hug
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 7:05am PST 
Being a toy breed, it could have been a hypoglycemic episode, but my instinct says it was a reaction to something ingested or otherwise toxic to have caused the tongue swelling and strange discoloration. I hope your vet did blood work to rule out toxic exposures and any systemic abnormalities and didn't just reach for the phenobarbital without doing a LOT of investigating. One seizure can be anything. It's repeated seizures of completely unknown origin that cannot be determined by any lab or x-ray testing that is going to be a diagnosis of epilepsy. Good luck to your girl.

Pokie's momhug
[notify]
Melodee

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 10:37am PST 
Thank you my dear dogsters, any advice you have on this topic would be of aid. The vet did a long investagation, even an x-ray, blood work was great except a couple things were elevated, but was characteristic side effects of a seizure. He said if in a couple weeks we checked out her blood again he is almost sure it would be normal. So she seems to have the king that just happens. She had a bad one lasting four min, and had lesser aftershock like episodes, off and on for about an hour and a half. He did give me a percription for Phnobarbatal (Spelling) but only after a long talk about the pros and cons of giving her meds. He said life long medication could cause liver damage, and should not be rushed into without thinking.
Frequent blood tests would need to be done.
I read of a med that dosen't cause damage overtime, but can be in some cases not as effective.
[notify]
Melodee

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 10:49am PST 
She is up and acting normal again! I bought her a bunch of minty flavored bones, and treats. Plus new dishes, and a pink plushy bed after her vet visit. Plus she already had some cute outfits and goodies coming by mail, and should arrive soon. One of which is a pink reflective rain jacket.
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 11:26am PST 
Good to hear that your pup is seeming back to normal. Hopefully, it was a one-time incident and she won't require lifetime medication. Good luck.

Pokie's mom
[notify]
Melodee

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 10:38pm PST 
Thaks for your continuing support
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 11:00pm PST 
Melodee OMD I'm so sorry to heat about your seizures! It sounds like you are feeling ok for now though? Our every thought and prayer is with you and your mom that this turns out to be nothing serious. So sorry to hear the scare your mama must have had when you had the first long seizure.

hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2