GO!

Dog friendly weed control

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Curtis- **RIP** miss- you so muc

Cookiemonster

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 7:58am PST 
My dog licks his paws often (He has always done this) my concern is we want to weed and feed our back yard and are afraid if he licks his paws after we do this he will become sick. Is there a product out there for weeds that wont hurt pets. P.S. we live in Canada so hopfully something avalialbe in Canada.
Thanks
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 10:03am PST 
Mom has always pulled all the weeds up by hand. I like to help her. This year things were really bad and as soon as we got the yard cleared of hundreds of pounds of really big weeds, more started sprouting.

We had to resort to a spray that attaches to the hose called Weed B Gone by Ortho. We talked to the vet and he said that once you spray it and it dries, it would be OK. We put some on and 2 days later it rained really hard. We waited until it dried after the original application for about 9 hours (while Mom was at work and we were in the house). It had a chance to kill the seedlings bee-fore the rained washed it all away.

If you don't have a lot of weeds, you could pull them up. The organic lawn service we used last summer said that you could mix vinegar and lemon juice to spray right on the weed. The only problem with that is, it will kill any grass that gets sprayed.

Smoke, hates sticky weeds
[notify]

Cookiemonster

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 10:33am PST 
Thank you very much ! you have really helped. I know my mom & dad try to pull the weeds but this spring we have clover and its growing everywere..
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 10:51am PST 
If your grass hasn't started getting really green yet, but the weeds are growing, the lemon-vinegar might not hurt it as bad. I think that's what the organic company uses to spray weeds in the winter/early spring here.

Smoke, *dreams of soft green grass*
[notify]
Rosie the 3- legged- wondermutt!

I am the ALPHA &- OMEGA!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 11:00am PST 
ACK!!! I work for a landscaping service and nothing that they call "organic" and safe for pet's is really all that effective on weeds; besides constantly pulling them. However, as a person who works for a landscaping service and whose dog goes to the office every single day where these "pesticides" are kept and dealt with I can assure you, as your vet did, that as long as the products have dried they are "safe". I would not recommend what they term a "slow release" product as these do what they say release slowly; meaning anytime the grass gets wet the product would be dangerous to any of your pets. Best bet find a product that activates when first applied and keep your pets off of it until it has dried. Water the lawn areas throughly after application and not for at least a day or two after the application to ensure the product is soaked down into the roots and does not remain on the surface. Additionally, you can wash your pets paws off when they come inside so if they lick them there isn't anything bad for them on their paws. =) Hope that helps!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 5:41pm PST 
Good point Rosie about the "slow release stuff". The stuff we used worked in 24 hours to kill the weeds and was ok if it was watered or rained on within hours. It was pretty fast acting. Of course, Mom still washed our feeties off when we went out bee-fore it rained really good a couple days later.

The vinegar-lemon juice treatment basically burns the weed. It has to be sprayed right on the weed and not the grass. So it's better for fewer, large weeds.

We pulled weeds for 4 straight days (8+ hours a day) and for a few evenings after that. Mom couldn't stand it. The organic guy did say she had the best remedy. Clover is hard to get rid of. We have some of that by our air conditioner. It's hard to pull out.

Smoke, living weed free
[notify]

Cookiemonster

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 9:48am PST 
Thank you sooooo much my mom is very thankful for all the advice. this is the best place for dog owners to get good advice from great dog owners!!!
[notify]