GO!

Are we cheating Belle?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Belle

just your- average sweet- loveable girl!

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 10:07am PST 
Belle is from a true working and tracking line. We've had her only a couple of months so bonding has been slow going. My husband had voiced some concern to our trainer about her prey drive and our children. She's progressed milestones but is stubborn (rottie-duh!) He doesn't want to interfere but did tell us that he knows a trainer who would take her if she became too much for us. He owns rotties and has a working farm. She'd have pro training 24/7. He said she'd thrive doing what she was born to do.
I'm not saying I'm giving her away, I'm just asking if you think we're cheating her a great life of working as opposed to being crated or leashed when kids are around. I know how bored she must be since we can't work her consistantly.
[notify]
Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 4:16pm PST 
If you cart train her and the kids.... they can help each other.
[notify]
Java

Love my Rotties.

Barked: Fri May 18, '07 10:19am PST 
Are you scared to have her around the kids? I have 2 rotties and 3 kids. I had Cocoa before I had kids and he just adjusted to them. Java is still a pup but he has also adjusted to them. You have to know that your pup sees you as the dominant one. I know you are probably going to laugh at me but when my rotties would get snappy with the kids I would bite him on the nose. I know they say to bite them on the ear but I did it on the nose. They learn real fast that what they are doing hurts. Rottweilers are extremely intelligent. They know everything you are saying. All I have to do with Java now is yell his name and he knows something he did was wrong. I do not know how old your children are but mine are real young and kids are going to pull on them. Your pup just needs to know you will take care of it. Hope this helps
[notify]

Babygirl

yep i did it !- what ya gonna do- about it

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '07 7:04am PST 
most rotties love kids, if your kids are little they will probly get bumped around due to a rotties instinct to herd and they tend to over love little kids pinning them down and licking them ..which usually scares the little kid but all of that is correctable if you do it with positive training methods...to be heavy handed with a rotty is a huge mistake.... they are extremely smart and very emotionally sensitive...and you don't want them seeing your children as a source of punishment and rejection. And i think maybe if you have a trainer that doesn't know how to teach you dog to behave around children you should look for another trainer. Rotties love their families and i can't see a loyal rotty being happier trading working and for the people they love. They eventually adjust but go through terrible emotional distress to make that adjustment. snoopy
[notify]