GO!

Molly

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Molly

Molly

Barked: Sat Apr 21, '07 7:47am PST 
When Im outside Molly nips and bites at our ankles and jumps to nip on my arm and fingers. To me and anybody else. What can I do as her Master to deter her from this behavior? We now carry a thick paint stick with us as we walk the yard so we can swat at her when she starts this behavior and I know its not the correct thing to do but it seems to deter her from acting on. I would certainly appreciate any information about this bad habit Molly has......
[notify]
Clutch(King- Clutch Of- Westport

AKA..I'M letting- you pet me!!

Barked: Sat Apr 21, '07 8:24am PST 
Well I would not play tug of war with her..because if she gets the toy from you that means she wins which might be giving her the signal that she is top dog. I aslo think she is looking at you as a litter mate and not a leader. Litter mates play rough with each other and nipping is part of that. You have to show her you are top dog of the faimly.

I would put her leash on her and go out in the yard and when she start nipping tug on the leash with a frim no and then put a toy in her mouth and tell her good girl.That way you are letting her know that nipping is wrong and putting a toy in her mouth is the right thing to paly with.

It is hard to really help you not seeing the behavior myself. I'm sure you will get a lot of help on dogster.

Good Luch......Clutch

Edited by author Sun Apr 22, '07 8:55am PST

[notify]
Alex

I see you Mr.- Squirrel, and I- can wait

Barked: Sat Apr 21, '07 8:47am PST 
Or, the positive alternative to the leash yanking would be to simply train an incompatible behaviour - you can't jump and nip if you are sitting or lying down...Reward the sits or downs or whatever you choose, AND completely IGNORE the jumping/nipping. The rewarded behaviour will become more frequent and the ignored behaviour will disapear.

If this still doesn't work, try just ending play time when her behaviour is inappropriate - still reward the good stuff, but if the bad stuff is really outta control, just go back in the house and try again later - she should figure out prett quickly that the only way to play in the yard is to not jump and nip.

Edited by author Sat Apr 21, '07 8:47am PST

[notify]

Molly

Molly

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '07 6:49am PST 
Thanks for all the good advice. It is very difficult to ignore the problem when she starts to hurt you by the nipping/biting and to try and just walk away. We have ended the play time when she does this aswell. I realize it takes time but other than that,she seems to be a good dog. Thanks again....

Christopher/ Molly
[notify]