GO!

Dry dog food safe?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cosmopolitan

Cosmo- I love to give- kisses!!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 6:55am PST 
Ok, so I am FREAKING out about the dog food recall and what is and isn't safe.... we feed Cosmo Iams, and I haven't heard anything about dogs being affected from eating Iams, but has anyone else??? please let me know as soona s possible if you have... i'm really worried..Cosmo is like our baby and we don't want ANYTHING to happen to her...
Thanks

Edited by author Sun Apr 1, '07 8:58am PST

[notify]
Daisy

Join our group A- Chihuahua is- Love!!

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 7:28am PST 
I think a lot of owners are freaking out. We are lucky. We eat dry food made by Castor Pollux called Organix. It contains no wheat. My cousin Kiley's mom changed her to wheat free dry food just to make sure.

Edited by author Mon Mar 26, '07 7:29am PST

[notify]
Takiah

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 8:01am PST 
If I`m not mistaken, IAMS was one of the main food brands that have been recalled. Before you get too worried though, I think it was just the wet food (however, this also questions what they are putting in the dry food). I am not on top of exactly what is going on in this recall, or whether or not dried foods have been added, but last I heard it was just canned. Did you check out all of the food brands from old posts? You may need to search back a page or two but there were several posts listing all of the brands recalled. I know Iams was one, I just don`t know what kind.
[notify]

Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 8:15am PST 
If in doubt, check out the Iams website. I was worried about the possibility of dry food being affected too so I went and checked out my brands' website (Nutro). They have a page dedicated to the recall and are reassuring all customers that their dry foods and all treats are safe, and that they are not made by MenuFoods.

I think how it works is that MenuFoods is responsible for making a mixed ingredient that is then sold to various pet food companies for use in their wet foods. So it's not like MenuFoods sold the whole contaminated grains to all the various pet food manufacturers, but instead made an ingredient mixture that was sold, and that mixture would only be used in the wets. If that makes sense.

Ingredients that go into the dry foods and the treats would be purchased from a different company and not be associated with the contaminated ingredient from MenuFoods.

I hope I got that correct ... that is what I have pieced together from what I have read and what my vet told me last week.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 8:21am PST 
So far the only foods that have been officially part of the recall are the wet foods. A lot of the pet food manufacturers who use Menu Foods to make their wet foods have their own kibble plants, and therefore have a bit more control over the ingredients and facilities. Despite the fact they have "dodged the bullet" on this one, I think this latest scare presents a good time to consider what's going into your dog's food and how much trust you have in the company that produces it no matter the texture!
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 8:28am PST 
I hear ya there, Meridian!

I've always fed kibble because it worked for me, my dogs did well on it, I was comfortable with the list of ingredients ...

But this is a big worry ... I might have to start asking around about raw. I have a few friends that feed raw, so can find out good local sources ... it's just a whole new mindset for me.

I'm not "anti-raw" ... have known dogs that are fed raw, can see that they are doing well, but at the same time so is my dog on kibble. I still think kibble is a good option for many dogs, as long as the owner knows how to read a label ... but this is a big scare. And I think it is going to get a lot of people thinking.
[notify]
Blair,SDVCBP- DXCGC~loving- memory

Blair- exta-ordinaire!

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '07 2:59pm PST 
We saw on the national news today that they said that dry food is included in the recall too, but we cant find a link telling us which dry foods. We get fed Alpo canned & two types of dry food so we are really worried. Here is the link about the Alpo that was just released yesterday:
http://www.purina.com/Company/Press/2007/MightyDog.aspx# purinafaqs

Edited by author Sun Apr 1, '07 8:59am PST

[notify]
CH. JeanE's- Chasing The- Storm

Chase the Diva, - Miss Chase y'all

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '07 3:17pm PST 
Yes, Iams was part of the recall and now many dry foods will be recalled from many sources.

The only safe processed food is one with out grains. Dogs are not designed to eat grains in the first place and almost all grains have have been GMed and or sprayed with pesticides and fertilizer (which is one theroy for the contamination on this particular re-call). Grains contain mites and mycotoxins as well. I could go on and on about how grains are not fit food for our "Fidos". Le me know if you want to read articles about it...

I have only found one dry dog food that does not conatin grains OR potatoes .

The latest trend in pet foods is the addition of potatoes. Potatoes contain a carcinogen- *acrylamide- As a daily maintenance food, potatoes are not a health food! They may actually be a part of the cancer epidemic in pets! The August 14, 2002 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, reported presence of high levels of acrylamide in carbohydrate rich foods like potatoes.

*Acrylamide induces gene mutations and has been found in animal tests to cause malignant stomach tumors. It is also known to cause damage to the central and peripheral nervous system.

The food is called Rubicon. You can read more about it here:
http://www.thewholedog.org/rubicon.html

I personally believe that if you can not cook for your dog or give it fresh raw meat and bone then this kibble is the BEST one I have found so far. smile

Have A Pawsitively Grrrreat Day!

Jeannie Thomason
Natural Dog Care Educator
Nutrition Consultant

"The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action"
Herbert Spencer

Animal Talk Naturally
http://www.animaltalknaturally.com
[notify]
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '07 3:24pm PST 
Hey Chase: I've never heard of that food, but it looks pretty good. There is another grain-free kibble out there that doesn't use potatoes: Nature's Variety Raw Instinct. It uses tapioca like Rubicon does.
[notify]
samson

THE BIG MAN

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 7:21am PST 
I HAVE BEEN FEEDING NUTRO DRY AND CANNED FOR 6 YEARS. THERE MUST OF BEEN SOMEONE LOOKING OUT FOR MY DOG BECAUSE TWO OF HIS WERE RECALLED. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WHY DID ALPO WAIT TO RECALL THERE FOOD FOR SO LONG. DID THEY NOT FEEL ENOUGH DAMAGE IS ALREADY DONE.

WHAT SCARES ME IS THERE ARE OTHER PRODUCTS THAT ARE ON THE MARKET FROM PURINA LIKE MIGHTY DOG CANS. THAT IS WHAT MY DOG IS CURRENTLY EATING. WHAT MAKES THOSE TWO FOODS DIFFERENT?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2