GO!

Designer breeds.. mutts?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  
Foxee Brown

Whole lotta- woman!

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 5:41pm PST 
http://www.grumpybumpers.com/dogs/index.cgi

can you tell the difference? I don't see the point in "designer breeds".. people are just trying to profit from something you could rescue from the pound..
[notify]
Sheba

Gone Goatin'!

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 5:58pm PST 
I only got one right...lol!...I mean how can you tell?shrug
[notify]
Phoenix

It's good to be- the princess!

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 5:58pm PST 
I agree, Irresponsible breeders are always looking for a way to make a quick buck off of any new fad. Animal shelters all over the United States are just bursting with hundreds of "Designer Dogs". I hope for sake of countless homeless mixed breeds, that the public finally realizes this very fact.
[notify]

Monty

Vicious- sighthound!

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 6:12pm PST 
I have an ethical problem with people breeding for profit. Because so-called "hybrid" dogs can't be shown (and I can't imagine there's a real need for working dogs of that nature) there's really no motive other than profit to selling the world an endless parade of schnoodles, dorkies, labradoodles, and my personal most loathed fake breed name, "taco terriers." (The search for the mythical odorless/"hypoallergenic"/perfect-family-dog dog makes me roll my eyes for a number of reasons. I mean, I think searching out a breed of dog who won't aggravate your allergies is fine. Assuming that the offspring of "Anything" "Poodle" = Totally Hypoallergenic Dog! is sort of silly, IMHO.)

Which is not to say I don't have mad love for the mutts. And irresponsibly breeding purebred dogs isn't any better than concocting a cockapoo or chug or puggle. Intentional breeding of crosses and mutts strikes me as almost always pointless and short-sighted.

Edited by author Sat Mar 10, '07 6:13pm PST

[notify]
Dulce

Bullies Are- The Best!

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 6:20pm PST 
I'm not going to get into it because it's confusing, but I just wanted to say.....

Foxee: You are SO pretty!! wavehug
[notify]
Magnolia,- J.B.O-p.D.M

Stir The Pot to- Prevent- Sticking!

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 6:22pm PST 
my "mutt", my designer dog came with OFA certification on the parents for PRA, Cardiac and Hips.
Couldn't get that from a shelter.
I've gotten shelter dogs and pures, and chose the "designer" breed.
Don't be haters. Please. This thread is so tired. SOoooooo tired. It's been hashed again and again.
Can't we just let people make their own choices?
cheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheer
[notify]
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 7:15pm PST 
Magnolia, I never really realized that one benefit of choosing a specific purposely-bred mix over a shelter dog would be hip and eye certification. I learned something today, and learning is always a good thing. Thank you for adding that to this thread. smile

...and I agree that this topic has been well-hashed. If you'd like to see more of this debate, I'm sure that you can do a forum search for "designer" or something similar and read to your heart's content. I'll say, though, that what the reader will find are a lot of inflammatory statements, closed threads, and that the "issue" is never resolved. The same can be said for the "purebred vs. mix" and "breeding vs. rescue" debates.

Happy reading! wink
[notify]
Sheba

Gone Goatin'!

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 7:42pm PST 
I agree that it is always a plus if the parents have had OFA's & health testing done...Also, a dog bred for temperment would be a plus when buying from a breeder.
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 8:10pm PST 
I don't know - I know lots of pure bred breeders who breed to make a profit, too. I see it all the time with yorkie breeders.

Yes, and as someone mentioned, these threads do tend to get closed or heavily edited. All dogs are welcome on Dogster no matter where they came from, and all dogs deserve to come on here without hearing that maybe they shouldn't have been bred in the first place. If we can keep the thread friendly, it will stay open. dancing
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 9:54pm PST 
Hey I did pretty well LOL:
Your score: 71%
The only dogs I got wrong were the "doodles" ('Labradoodle' and 'Goldendoodle'...ugh I can't stand those silly names!)
laugh out loud

I never understand designer mixed breeds. If you want specific features, there are plenty of purebred dogs around that will match any features and there are breeders who breed responsibly and have done so for many many years so you can find out if the dog's parents, grandparents, great-grandparents etc were healthy and free of genetic diseases. Or you can get a mixed breed from a rescue or shelter and you can find the dog's personality by spending time with the dog or by talking to the foster home if the dog is fostered, and they can tell you the shedding level, energy, and so on...

Edited by author Sat Mar 10, '07 10:09pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17