GO!

Let's Talk About Matts!!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Roxy

ALL ROXY, ALL- THE TIME

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '07 7:40am PST 
Mommy has decided to grow my hair out...and now we are dealing with matts. Mommy is very good at daily grooming, but we are just wondering...do you matt as bad as I do???
[notify]
Bella

COOKIES RULE

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '07 10:35am PST 
Not much matting here.Mommy says that I'm probably a mix so my coat may be a little different.I don't know what a mix is but I'm claiming my ovious shih-tzu roots.BOL
[notify]
♥Mayb- elle♥

~~~It's all- about me!~~~

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 1:09pm PST 
Oh I know exactly what you mean! I'm a shih- tzu/bichon so my fur is wavy and I got monster sized knots too! Even though my human brushed me at least twice everyday. Last time I went to the groomers I got shaved and I havn't had a knot since. But I know that there are special products that un-tangle your fur. There are even puppy conditioners too! way to go So maybe those will help you!

Good luck!

Edited by author Sun Mar 11, '07 1:11pm PST

[notify]

Eve

ShihtzuBeauty

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 6:23am PST 
We had to go to a puppy or teddy bear cut too. Conditioner didn't even help to keep the mats down. My sister and brother are cut shorter now too and we don't get many mats anymore. smile
[notify]
Minnie

Not a fatty,- just floofy!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 6:05pm PST 
My mom doesn't show dogs but she loooooves how they look so for as long as i can remember, i have long hair! But man oh man do i matt. In the beginning, mom didn't know how much grooming i really needed so she would groom me twice a week...big mistake on her part! my matts like to grow rapidly so she soon learned that she had to brush me everyday. not only do i get daily grooming but what also helps is when she deep conditions me at home. the conditioning not only helps keep the matts away but it also makes me smell oh-so-good cloud 9
[notify]
MARTY

Rub my belly,- DAMMIT!

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '07 10:45am PST 
Have any of you used a matt breaking comb? How do you use it. Currently I'm just pulling the matts apart with my fingers until I get one.
[notify]
Yuki

Play hard

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '07 6:03pm PST 
I get matts really bad too when my hair gets long, mostly cuz I like to chew on my paws and lick myself. My mommy wanted to grow my hair out, but she kept brushing me and I kept getting matts, so she finally gave up and got me shaved. Now she keeps my hair no longer than a inch and I don't get matts as bad.
[notify]
Harlee

LETS GO FOR A- RIDE

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '07 12:18pm PST 
When I had long hair I only matted in the areas I had clothes on and my harness. Then mommy notice when she brushed me she would only brush the top so she would pull my hair forward to brush the undercoat so remember even though you mom is brushing you she might not be brushing the undercoat. Just a little tip.
[notify]
♥GRAC- IE

*Grace of my- Heart!*

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '07 4:04pm PST 
mommie used to use an equal mix of infusium leave in conditioner for people and water in a spray bottle. Just a fine mist on my coat before combing and a concentrated spray on any matt's. Now she uses a product called Quicker Slicker and boy has it made life even easier! It's the bomb! worth every penney and u use it sparingly.
someone on dogster recommended it and mommie purchased a spray bottle off Ebay! It comes in groomer strength which is MEGA concentrated, so pretty pricy, but, again....u will be diluting it. we just bought the ready to use stuff. It's pretty close to a miracle cheer
we do get a bath every week and combed, espec our undercoat, at least once a day.snoopy
[notify]
♥Moll- y

Little Miss- Molly of Mine

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '07 4:13pm PST 
I have what is called a silky coat and Gracie has what they call a cotton coat. we are both SO soft when clean and after several days u can feel my coat, while still very soft, is a bit different than Grace's. She matt's more easily than me. so there are differnt textures of tzu's, just like people!laugh out loud Grooming a minimum of every two weeks is a big help (we get bathed once a week) The Quicker Slicker is used, not every combing, but sparingly about every other day. If we have matts, then its a concentrated spray on those!
carefully using a slicker brush (& the spray) on our undercoat, when needed can be VERY helpful with matts. we only have to have that slicker brush once or twice a month. just a comb out once or twice a day! a pain sometimes for mommie, but worth it. she likes us both in Full Coat! snoopy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2