GO!

do your dogs lick or "clean" each other's ears?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
toby

momma's boY

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 3:39pm PST 
both of my dogs are the cuddly-kissy type and sometimes i catch the two of them in full blown make out sessions! yes, both boys...eek

the kisses inevitably turn into nibbling on gus' part but anyway...i find that they like to clean each other's ears every so often. i know it is not because they are dirty either! is this type of behavior common and what do you think is the reason behind why they do it?

Edited by author Thu Mar 8, '07 3:41pm PST

[notify]
Whisper

I am the donut- monster

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 3:46pm PST 
I think we just love each other cloud 9

Me and Maya clean each others ears and each other's teeth BOL
[notify]
Oliver PAWS

<3s tennis- balls, peanut- butter, & Fling

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 3:49pm PST 
I'm totally scared to death by Hailey.

The only time I get close that I can lick Hailey, is when we play or when I accidently jump on her. Though she snaps at me.
[notify]

Peppered- Jelly Belly- Bean, NPC

Bean Alert!

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 3:50pm PST 
I am not sure why but all 4 dachshunds in our pack do that too, from 3 month old Pearl, to 18 month old me, Jelly Bean! We do each others ears, They try to do Rilie's ears, AND to top it off, we like to clean HUMANS ears!!!

Mom suspects its a pack behavior, like Monkeys picking lice off eachother, it keeps the ears clean and disease free.

Yeah Mom has caught me and Newtie in some compromising positions as well. Hey us dogs are just more open minded than some other mammals, thats all! BOL!!!laugh out loud
[notify]
Ein

My Daddy is a- Soldier!

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 4:00pm PST 
Me and my brother do the same thing! A vet actually told mommy that it is quite common for us doggies to do this. The smell of the ear wax attracts us, as does the bitter taste. I mean when you think about the fact that some of us doggies eat our own stool (or other doggies') it really doesn't seem all that gross! Us dogs are attracted to much different things then our mommies and daddies. Even if you clean our ears regularly we will still lick each other's ears!!
[notify]
toby

momma's boY

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 4:33pm PST 
i figured it was partly because they are cleaning, but also a sign of affection? they do love each other enough! gus likes to nibble on toby's cheeks and when he was younger he would try to shove his entire head in toby's mouth! it was as if he was convinced there was something really yummy in there!

it's just funny when toby comes up to me sometimes and he has one ear that is completely soaked! gus tends to chew on the whole ear the ways he does w/ the corners of pillows, and toby does more of what looks like cleaning in there. yuck! but it just looks like the sweetest thing when they are snuggled next to each other giving kisses...

licking on the face though...is that really a sign of submission?
[notify]
Rex

Singing Cowboy- Poet Comic

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 4:46pm PST 
We are the lickie King & Queen! I love to lick my sister's ears, Mom's toes when she wears sandals, Mom's shoes, the floor, the blankets, pillows, etc... and sister loves to lick Mom's ears, and all of the above, except the toes!

OK, we know it sounds gross, but it's really tasty for us dogs! We believe it's a sign of affection, but mostly a pack "grooming" type of thing.

See my "lickie" picture on my page that was created just to commemorate my lickie addiction.

Sluuurrrppppp,

Rex laugh out loudway to go

P.S. We forgot noses (aka sinus cavities)! Sister will try to sneak licks if you're not watching! Now you know her deepest secret! laugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Mar 8, '07 4:49pm PST

[notify]
Cookie

Wanna play?

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 4:52pm PST 
My brother cleans my ears all the time! He cleans human ears too! (even though he prefers my ears better... I think...) BOL! I never clean his ears though. I'm not sure why...

My mommy thought it was weird, but now that she saw this post, she knows it's not only my brother and I who are "ear cleaners"! big laugh

I think Bubbles might be trying to clean my ears... or maybe he's just showing affection.

Yes Toby, licking the face is a sign of a submissive dog.

Edited by author Thu Mar 8, '07 4:54pm PST

[notify]
Harlee

LETS GO FOR A- RIDE

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 5:01pm PST 
Yes I do all the time. Well me and my sister do. Moms got a video on my page during it go look. I also like to clean my kitty sisters ears. Yummy
[notify]
Whisper

I am the donut- monster

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '07 5:05pm PST 
Huh? I lick Maya's face all the time and I am the dominant in our little pack (well, after Mommy of course). Or maybe we didnt' work out our peck order entirely?

On Mommy I love to lick her eyes, neck, her reading glasses and, above all, I LOVE her lipstick, but she doesn't let me lick it confused
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4