GO!

TDI vs...?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Trekker

youthful and- cute

Barked: Mon Feb 12, '07 11:11am PST 
How many organizations are there (in the USA) that certify dogs as "Therapy Dogs"?

What are the basic differences between organizations (or, pls. provide the URLs to the organizations and I can figure that out on my own).

The TDI Tester that I have used when offering CGC/Therapy Dog Tests has informed me that, due to a new requirement of TDI, she won't be renewing her Tester status with TDI. I believe it has something to do with the fact that TDI will no longer allow a dog to have "dual" Therapy dog certifications, or some such thing.

I'm trying to figure out whether to find another TDI tester in my area (not easy), or to switch organizations (but, I want to make an informed decision).

THANKS!

Trekker's mom

dog
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Mon Feb 12, '07 11:27am PST 
That is true that they recently changed their policy. Unfortunately they did not TELL people this or have the info on their website, so I took the TDI test with my dog and sent in all the forms thinking she was going to be registered with TDI, only to be rejected because we are members of some local therapy dog orgs! I was very disappointed.

There are hundreds of therapy dog organizations operating at a local level, less that are national.
You can find a list (and links to websites) of many of the national and many local ones here:
http://www.dogplay.com/Activities/Therapy/join.html#USA

TDInc has a test very similar to TDI, and Delta Society is more involved to get certified, they require more training of the handler. The organizations I belong to locally have their own tests which are different than the national ones but have many similar parts.
[notify]
Pearl the- Labrador

Be Helpful At- All Times.

Barked: Sun Feb 18, '07 8:06am PST 
I am a TDI handler/dog. I am switching to Delta Society this week because I also belong to R.E.A.D. which helps children read. TDI won't let me do both. Delta Society will. The test is alittle longer, but Pearl has been a Therapy Dog for 3 years so I don't think we will have a problem. TDI is cheaper, but Delta Society has a program for people who need help paying the testing fee. Hope I helped you alittle.
[notify]

Sadie - In Loving Memory

Please pet me !

Barked: Wed Feb 21, '07 11:26am PST 
There are TDI, TDI Inc., Delta Society, The Bright and Beautiful Therapy Dogs Inc., Therapetpuppy
[notify]
Snoopy CGC- Delta Pet- Partner

But I wanna- cookie!

Barked: Fri Feb 23, '07 7:04pm PST 
Personally I am a member of The delta society dog therapy program with my dog snoopy. snoopy We joined a local organization(youngstown OH) called K-9s for Compassion which is a registered pet partner program through Delta. I also have a different dog that is a member of the TDI program.

Out of the two I like the Delta program better because it offers more support both training and information wise. TDI just kind of passes you gives you a few local clubs and you're on your own.

The Delta test is a little harder and more involed and they cost a bit more but it is an awesome program and is a national program so after you get tested you can set up visiting opportunities anywhere you need to.

you can go to their webpage and find out if they have testing in your area: http://www.deltasociety.org/
[notify]
Pete

Throw the toy!

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '07 4:13pm PST 
I am a fan of the Delta Society too. Their testing is tough but fair and they very much encourage you to join other organizations and network with other therapy dog handlers. I am in the READ program and I like that they are the prefered group for them as well. The downside is finding a qualified tester when you are ready to take your test. I considered becoming a tester but it is expensive and you have to travel to get their certification. What is actually considered a "real" therapy dog varies state by state also. I actually went through a much more intensive program that was more in line with a service dog training program with my dog before I decided he was just too shy to use on a daily basis in the schools.
[notify]