GO!

Cesar the dog whisperer

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 47: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Maggie

Life is good!

Barked: Sun Feb 4, '07 6:40pm PST 
What does everyone think of Cesar's approach to dog training? I have watched his show a couple of times and was amazed at how quickly he can change a behavior. I have also seen posts on other sites saying "Ceaser's way is not the humane way" What do you think??
[notify]
Wilson

"The world is my- chew toy!"

Barked: Sun Feb 4, '07 6:43pm PST 
I'm amazed by what he does, also. However, our dog trainer told us to never, ever use a muzzle on our dog because it is traumatizing for dogs to be muzzled. And if you notice, he always muzzles aggressive dogs when he socializes them. Maybe muzzling is the quick approach, but I've been told by professionals that it's an inhumane approach to dog training.
[notify]
Ronin

Mama's boy.

Barked: Sun Feb 4, '07 6:45pm PST 
I love Cesar! Sorry if that offends any of those who think that he is not humane, however, I have never seen him correct a problem with violence or abuse. Not even when his hands are being chewed all to pieces! I like his methods, not everyone will. Everybody has their own opinions and I respect that. way to go
[notify]

Bowen

My battle name- is Bowen the- Destroyer.

Barked: Sun Feb 4, '07 6:50pm PST 
I've seen a few of his shows, and while its a little harsh to look at I think his training is effective. Sometimes you need a jerk on the chain when ignoring or turning away does'nt work. Sucks but there ya go.
[notify]
Marley

Take me to the- park, or I eat- the remote

Barked: Sun Feb 4, '07 6:56pm PST 
I like him a lot... we used some of his methods on Marley (laying him on his side) when marley got aggressive a few times... it worked perfectly and he hasn't done it since (3 months)... we went back to positive clicker training and haven't used the dominance again, but for that instance it worked really well.
[notify]
Ronin

Mama's boy.

Barked: Sun Feb 4, '07 7:03pm PST 
Well, I use the pack mentality everyday with my three and we all know our place in life. It is wonderful! I never have to do anything but snarl a lip and growl to correct a bad behavior. Sounds weird, but, it works. No physical contact needed, they know that I am the alpha member of this pack and they don't question it. I have to use muzzles in my grooming shop every week, I always let the owner try to help first and then when all else fails, I'm sorry but it has to happen. I do understand that in the long run, it is a quick fix. However, You cannot place yourself or anyone else in harms way when it comes to dog bites, most of my customers that wear a muzzle have bitten their owners on more than one occasion and if they are allowed to do it at home, I can't repair that damage by trying to work with them slowly.
[notify]
Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Sun Feb 4, '07 7:17pm PST 
I think is impressive with dogs. But I also feel that his methods are not usually able to be done by normal people. You have to have such perfect energy and I don't thinnk most people can do all that he does. While he does amazing things, I think for dogs with real behavor problems, Cesar has to be there to solve it.

That's why I prefer clicker training.
[notify]
Lil' Papi

Papi Chulo!

Barked: Sun Feb 4, '07 7:30pm PST 
I LOVE Cesar's approach, or rather, RELATIONSHIP with dogs... There are definitely several different and successful ways to train a dog, and Cesar's is just one, so a lot of times I think that it depends on what kind of dog you may be dealing with. The fact that Cesar has been able to rehabilitate so many dogs that are headed for euthanization or life in the pound is amazing, and his presence alone amongst dogs is fascinating to watch. I try to be conscious of the way I act around Papi so that I am sure not to end up at the bottom of the pack... that does NOT mean that I am using physical force at all, rather an understanding of the way dog psychology works (or at least I try to!) The other thing that I really like about Cesar's approach is that he stresses the importance of exercise and stress release in a dog's life. Too often we see people on the show explaining that they try to take their dogs out for a walk at least ONCE a week! No wonder some of these people have frustrated dogs. Just to throw this out there as well, I am the first to be wary of trusting what you see on TV, as I am a producer in a post-production facility where our editors make their living cutting out the un-interesting or contradictory so that a show is more entertaining. That aside, I still believe that a lot of Cesar's basic ideas hold true universally and that, if anything, we get to watch a man who spends his days trying to help animals in need... sorry if I rambled!
[notify]
Khola- CDX, CGC

R plus and- paitence what a- shocking idea

Barked: Sun Feb 4, '07 7:35pm PST 
All I'm saying is that I do not agree with what he does that goes beyond the basic understanding of things. IE- dogs need exercize. Dogs need rules. Past that I think he's doing a great job of putting training back 30 years.

This will be the one and only time I post on this topic, but best of luck on your own search.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Sun Feb 4, '07 7:48pm PST 
I am not a fan. I do not agree with many of the methods he employs. He does give some sound BASIC advice such as dogs need exercise, many dogs are under-exercised, you should be calm when training a dog, dogs need leadership, you should not treat a dog like a baby, that type of thing...
However IMO that is something that any good trainer should tell you! It's not some great wisdom or insight that he alone has, it's just common dog sense. Yes, those are things that can definitely help improve a dog's behavior but they are not amazing breakthroughs that he has come up with, they are what trainers have been advising owners for decades.
The actual methods he uses when training as well as the view that dogs are always trying to dominate you is not something I agree with.
[notify]
(Page 1 of 47: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]