GO!

Bully Sticks

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Mia Bella

Just a little- girl!

Barked: Mon Nov 20, '06 8:34am PST 
I have heard nothing but raving about bully sticks since I started reading the dogster forums. However, I have never heard about them before and have a few questions.

1) What exactly are bully sticks?
2) Where can I get them?
3) How expensive are they?
4) Are dogs as defensive over them as they are rawhides?

I am thinking about possibly getting the dogs some for Christmas. Recently we have had some problems with the two bigger dogs getting into tiffs over rawhides even when there are 3 others on the floor they always want each others! So currently we have them chewing on nylabones because they aren't as defensive over them...but they are also not as interested in them and sometimes chew on things that they shouldn't (highlighters, pens, paper, etc.).

Thanks in advance for the responses I am looking forward to seeing if the dogs like them or not!
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Mon Nov 20, '06 9:15am PST 

Cow penises. They are only gross to human minds - dogs don't know what they are, and they generally love them.

2) Where can I get them?

Everywhere. Online dog stores, pet stores, specialty doggie boutiques.. They are usually sorted in the same area as the rawhides, meaty bones, etc.

It varies by brand, type, processing techniques, etc. I've seen from as low as TWELVE 12" long plain and straight bully sticks for $10 at costco (which equates to less than a $1 for each bully stick) to $8 for ONE coiled up 10" long bully stick from free range bulls (called "Flossies" made by Merrick) at a doggie boutique store.

Unfortunately, yes. Doggies will be protective over anything that's edible that takes a while to consume.

Edited by author Mon Nov 20, '06 9:16am PST

[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Nov 20, '06 10:18am PST 
Dogs usually like Bully Sticks better than rawhide. How defensive they'll get over it depends on how much an individual likes it and feels the need to gaurd it. It's usually best to go for prevention and separate dogs during meal and treat times.
[notify]

Penny

I didn't do it!

Barked: Mon Nov 20, '06 10:31am PST 
Bull Penis, or Tendon if you want to pretend it's not what it really is!
2) Where can I get them?
I get them from my local Petco
For me, they are about $4 for 7" and $5 for 9". They also have 3-packs for $10. Recently they started selling really long ones for $12 I think. You can get them in bulk online and I'm considering doing that because Penny loves her bully sticks!
Depends if your dog gets defensive over food. Penny never really guards her stuff. I usually distract her with something else, then take it away. Then she gets so confused because she thinks it ran away! I never fed Penny rawhide and I feel like dogs would like bully sticks much better since it's tasty.
[notify]
Penny

I didn't do it!

Barked: Mon Nov 20, '06 10:31am PST 
Bull Penis, or Tendon if you want to pretend it's not what it really is!
2) Where can I get them?
I get them from my local Petco
For me, they are about $4 for 7" and $5 for 9". They also have 3-packs for $10. Recently they started selling really long ones for $12 I think. You can get them in bulk online and I'm considering doing that because Penny loves her bully sticks!
Depends if your dog gets defensive over food. Penny never really guards her stuff. I usually distract her with something else, then take it away. Then she gets so confused because she thinks it ran away! I never fed Penny rawhide and I feel like dogs would like bully sticks much better since it's tasty.
[notify]
Fred

i'm your- favorite right

Barked: Mon Nov 20, '06 1:27pm PST 
This is were I order mine from, I think the prices are great.

www.digitpet.com Go to the Bull and Beef stick page.

Here are a few prices.
Bully sticks 6" $1.49
Bully Stick 12" $ 2.69
Premium xxxL 6.5" $2.39 these are what I get for my guys

They also have great price on their all natural chicken treats.

Edited by author Mon Nov 20, '06 1:30pm PST

[notify]
Brody

What's in it for- me?

Barked: Mon Nov 20, '06 3:25pm PST 
Fred, I think everybody must have rushed to that website to stock up on bully sticks, because they're all sold out! Boo hoo, I hope they have more before Christmas because I'm asking Santa for a whole stocking full of them!
[notify]
Morgan (RIP)

Still Mom's- favorite,- Watching over- all

Barked: Mon Nov 20, '06 3:34pm PST 
I finally talked mom into getting me some. They are great. We got them from Drs. Foster and Smith and we saw them at Petsmart. I liked them but I finished it almost as fast as a regular chewie. I chew really fast and hard. The Docs have both bull and pig.
[notify]
Patches

Shake it like a- Polaroid- picture!

Barked: Mon Nov 20, '06 3:59pm PST 
Bully Sticks are great but don't give to often because they might get bored of it like my pup has.

They are suppose to be 100% digestable and will not cause blockage like raw hides. But becareful because dogs can still choke on them. I take the bully sticks away when it reaches a certain size to avoid choking. They also smell bad when being chewed on.

The cheapest place I found Bully Sticks so far was at Costco, twelve 12" sticks for $11 or so. I've seen them on ebay for a good price also.
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Mon Nov 20, '06 5:19pm PST 
BOL Snowy ... cows don't have penises! big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5