GO!

how to train my Juicy Baby?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Sparkie

born to recive- and give- loves...!

Barked: Sun Oct 29, '06 11:41pm PST 
hey!!! i'm JOJO. i've just adopted a dog . her name is Juicy. she is 1 year old. it seems that she's not trained and behaving kinda bad. she kept nipping and licking my hands and legs.i've tried to train her but the training doesnt work. whenever she sees me passing by, she will run to me.but i cant pat her because she kept nipping and licking me!!! although she is kinda naughty but i still love her. so...any ideas how to train her?
[notify]
Penny

I didn't do it!

Barked: Mon Oct 30, '06 9:30am PST 
Ignore her whenever she does this and don't pet her. Only pay attention to her and reward her when she's not biting you!
[notify]
Bobo

Cute as a Muffin

Barked: Mon Oct 30, '06 12:59pm PST 
i agree. You also should say no(in a louder voice), so she knows that you were not happy with her act. If she back off when you say no, then give her a treat. I tried not to yell at my shih tzu when he does something wrong. when i say no, my shih tzu will do a small jump and back off for like 5 seconds unless i keep repeating it. haha! but at least she knows "no" is no.
[notify]

Sparkie

Barked: Thu Nov 2, '06 12:00am PST 
hey!!!! thanks a lot ! hopefully it will work.
[notify]
Sparkie

Barked: Sun Nov 5, '06 11:23pm PST 
problem again!!!!! my juicy baby doesnt understand the word (NO) . once i say no loudly, juicy will jump and try to nip again. help!!!!!!
[notify]
Jackie Poo,- NPC

I swear, I- didn't do it

Barked: Mon Nov 6, '06 8:24am PST 
sometimes it takes a few minutes of ignoring. It may even take removing her (bathroom time-outs). Eventually the point will be gotten.
[notify]
Miss Sadie- Jane

"Are you going- to eat that?..."

Barked: Mon Nov 6, '06 8:34am PST 
When you say no, you have to say it in a tone that is sorta growling. I would probably "get in her face" and maybe bare a little teeth/ change your facial expression.

One warning. Then start the ignoring. If the ignoring doesn't work, walk away from her. You are trying to establish your position in the pack.

If you let her get away with stuff like this, she will continue to challenge your position. Trust me when I say that an older dog would not take that from a pup....

Edited by author Mon Nov 6, '06 8:34am PST

[notify]
Lyra

Barked: Mon Nov 6, '06 8:42am PST 
" Trust me when I say that an older dog would not take that from a pup...."

What would the older dog do to communicate to the pup concerning this unexceptable behavior?
just curious

k9bob
[notify]
Miss Sadie- Jane

"Are you going- to eat that?..."

Barked: Mon Nov 6, '06 8:49am PST 
You've never observed an older/higher positioned dog put another dog laying on its back, making it submissively expose it's belly?
Sadie learned quickly not to be a bully to my older dog Owen. He only has two years on her...but he still let her know that he wasn't going to be pushed around and chewed on.
Now, nearly two years later...they are inseperable.

As far as things like that, dogs should be allowed to work out themselves. Now it would be different if they were intent on ripping one another apart, but those are normal behaviors within their pack.

Edited by author Mon Nov 6, '06 8:50am PST

[notify]